Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,572 members, 7,958,775 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:34 PM

Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? (20352 Views)

Projector, Screen And Plasma/lcd For Rent / Projector, Screen And Plasma/lcd For Rent / Projector And Screen, Lcd/plasma Tv For Rent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by mendomp: 9:42am On Jun 14, 2010
just bought the new samsung led hdtv here in the us, and i  was wondering if it can work with any of the cable /dstv that we have available in nigeria?

as far as power is concerned i know i can use a transformer,  and i can use it to watch dvds and such.
but as far as using it to view tv stations  , is it possible,and how?
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by tayoast(m): 10:20am On Jun 14, 2010
All things being equal, it shd work
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by mendomp: 10:24am On Jun 14, 2010
how i know back in the old days of tube tvs ntsc vs pal it wasnt possible. how do these things work now with the advent of cable tv and all in nigeria?
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by tayoast(m): 10:31am On Jun 14, 2010
just put ur mind at rest.
there's no much difference
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by ROBEN(m): 11:24am On Jun 14, 2010
Let not ur heart be troubled, It will work optimally in nigeria
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by SLIGHT(m): 11:39am On Jun 14, 2010
It must work.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by binigurl07: 11:45am On Jun 14, 2010
it will work wink
but our nigerian electricity is somewhow undecided
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by AkoEja: 11:47am On Jun 14, 2010
It may not work if it does not have an analogue tuner - which is what we currently have in Nigeria.
The following information gives a general overview of tuner compatibility
There are essentially 2 types of TV signal: analog and digital. So TV tuners are either analog or digital. The more recent breed of tuners which are actually dual tuners that combine the two types of TV tuners are generally referred to as hybrid tuners: those are compatible with both analog and digital signal types.
Analog Tuners: Primarily MPEG-2 analog tuners (NTSC, PAL and Secam), which are tuners with an onboard MPEG-2 hardware encoder. This will pick TV signal in Nigeria.
Digital Tuners:  Over-the-air (OTA) digital ATSC and DVB-T tuners and other classes of digital tuners (QAM, DVB-S, DVB-C, DVB-H, etc.)
America uses ATSC and DVB-S and DVD-S2(both satelite TV) while Britain uses DVB-T and DVB-T2(freeview) + Satellite DVB-S and DVD-S2

For a TV to work in Nigeria, it must have an anlogue tuner(the TV picks the signal directly) or you can use a satellite box(like Sky digibox or DSTV in Nigeria) which picks the signal and send it to the TV. You will then need a satellite dish
Check which tuners this TV has first

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by tayoast(m): 11:49am On Jun 14, 2010
^^he intends using DSTV.
It 'll def work
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by benlay(m): 11:49am On Jun 14, 2010
itz gonna work but don't for get the voltage requirements for most electrical/electronics components in the US are 110Volts powered, so for your HDTV to work in Nigeria u will need a step-up transformer which will step your tv to 220V that is available in Nigeria, hope this helps.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by shileowo: 12:10pm On Jun 14, 2010
most appliances are rated 110-240 volt so u dont need any form of transformer. check the range urself in the manual. its plug and use nowadays.

1 Like

Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by yrunvus: 12:48pm On Jun 14, 2010
Your Plasma will work
I shipped mine with me when i moved to Nigeria and it works just fine
All you gotta do is check if its an AC120-240V or just an AC 120V.
Im pretty sure its an AC 120V so u'd need a step down transformer
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by eros(m): 12:49pm On Jun 14, 2010
AkoEja:

It may not work if it does not have an analogue tuner - which is what we currently have in Nigeria.
The following information gives a general overview of tuner compatibility
There are essentially 2 types of TV signal: analog and digital. So TV tuners are either analog or digital. The more recent breed of tuners which are actually dual tuners that combine the two types of TV tuners are generally referred to as hybrid tuners: those are compatible with both analog and digital signal types.
Analog Tuners: Primarily MPEG-2 analog tuners (NTSC, PAL and Secam), which are tuners with an onboard MPEG-2 hardware encoder. This will pick TV signal in Nigeria.
Digital Tuners:  Over-the-air (OTA) digital ATSC and DVB-T tuners and other classes of digital tuners (QAM, DVB-S, DVB-C, DVB-H, etc.)
America uses ATSC and DVB-S and DVD-S2(both satelite TV) while Britain uses DVB-T and DVB-T2(freeview) + Satellite DVB-S and DVD-S2

For a TV to work in Nigeria, it must have an anlogue tuner(the TV picks the signal directly) or you can use a satellite box(like Sky digibox or DSTV in Nigeria) which picks the signal and send it to the TV. You will then need a satellite dish
Check which tuners this TV has first

Nice one, very insightful.

As explained above, you may need to check out the specifications before shipping the TV down to Nigeria. Better still, you should ask the dealer you bought it from, if it will work overseas or Nigeria as the case may be.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by Ibomade1: 1:59pm On Jun 14, 2010
It will work but pls be advised, No station is broadcasting in HD. So you may have to wait for a couple of years b4 you can enjoy High Defination pictures. Simples kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by donpappyt(m): 2:03pm On Jun 14, 2010
By design it will not work, unless u are buying a muiti-system TV from USA(which they don't produce any more in USA)because TV design for USA recieves NTSC signal and 110V. and nigeria recieves PAL and 240V. multi -system TV receives all signal( PAL,NTSC SECAM)
but if you already have one and you want it to work. Get a PAL to NTSC tuner and a voltage converter that will stepdown the voltage from 240v to 110. if the voltage  doesnt vary between 110 to 240. since it is a digital it will accept both analog and digital signal(u can see local station)
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by mojounited(m): 2:30pm On Jun 14, 2010
itz gonna work but don't for get the voltage requirements for most electrical/electronics components in the US are 110Volts powered, so for your HDTV to work in Nigeria u will need a step-up transformer which will step your tv to 220V that is available in Nigeria, hope this helps.

@benlay shocked shocked shocked
You are dead wrong!, the hdtv in question is US-made and would have an output voltage of 110V hence, using a step-up transformer with Nigerian 220v is going to produce an output voltage higher than 220v which may damage the fused or ICs (even more components) on the board. In lieu, a step-down transformer would be used to step-down the Nigerian voltage from 220v to 110v (vendor design voltage specification for the hdtv) - for american E&E appliances. cool

1 Like

Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by Ranoscky(m): 2:53pm On Jun 14, 2010
@OP no think abeg, if u thinkam, na hyper. just stone am com like dat, weda gud or bad, e go work!

if e no work, carry am 4 hand run idumota 3times, immediately u reach house put am 4 light, Ore, is a Nautica! wink
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by KGNAIRA: 2:54pm On Jun 14, 2010
The new DSTV decoder has HDMI output. They have also started to broadcast some programs in High Definition.
You will have no problem turning into Nigeria station.

Nigeria is up to date. You will be shocked what you see when you arrive.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by Kx: 2:57pm On Jun 14, 2010
Did u have to bring ordinary tv all d way from USA?
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by Ranoscky(m): 4:32pm On Jun 14, 2010
^^^ I weak O!
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by donpappyt(m): 4:40pm On Jun 14, 2010
Kx:

Did u have to bring ordinary tv all d way from USA?

Yes, It is not ordinary. A USA TV have many feature compare to any other TV.
This are some of it features of USA TV

Display TypeLED-backlitScreen Size47"Screen Size Diagonal47.0"
Full HD 1080   Yes
Native Display Resolution1920 x 1080ED-Resolution1080p3D Ready  Yes
Local DimmingYes
Dynamic Contrast Ratio10,000,000:1Refresh Rate480 HzIntelligent SensorYes
ENERGY STAR® CompliantYes
Response Time1 msNo. of HDMI Ports4NetCast™
Entertainment Access (Broadband)Yes
Internet ServicesYahoo!® TV Widgets,
Netflix®, Vudu™,
YouTube™,
Picasa™Wireless HD Ready*Yes
Wi-Fi® Ready*YesDNLA Certified®Yes

(JPEG Images Only)THX® Certified DisplayYes

Seamless DesignYes
Pictures, Music and Video via USB 2.0YesWarranty

the price is three time less than what we have in nigeria.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by oyinsbank: 4:49pm On Jun 14, 2010
donpappyt (m)
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria?
« #15 on: Today at 02:03:01 PM »
By design it will not work, unless u are buying a muiti-system TV from USA(which they don't produce any more in USA)because TV design for USA recieves NTSC signal and 110V. and nigeria recieves PAL and 240V. multi -system TV receives all signal( PAL,NTSC SECAM)
but if you already have one and you want it to work. Get a PAL to NTSC tuner and a voltage converter that will stepdown the voltage from 240v to 110. if the voltage doesnt vary between 110 to 240. since it is a digital it will accept both analog and digital signal(u can see local station)

you are absolutely right.

@poster it wont work you need a signal converter, USA uses the NTSC system while PAL is used in Nigeria. i experienced this about a yr ago and i bought this converter.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by Ranoscky(m): 4:56pm On Jun 14, 2010
Come down to naija and go to the city of ABA, u'll get it more cheaper and good quality! grin *no tryam O*
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by oyinsbank: 4:57pm On Jun 14, 2010
http://sewelldirect.com/product4.aspx?productId=17022&

Thats the converter, but i doubt if all the internet dependent functions on your TV will work, the converter is just to convert NTSC Signal to pal.
Good Luck
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by KGNAIRA: 5:09pm On Jun 14, 2010
@Poster,

I will agree with you on price. But that is were the story ends. All the features listed are standard for top of the range OLED TVs. Nothing special.
You will be shocked to see a TV with better specifications. I am aware there are TVs with better contrast ratio and more HDMI Ports.
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by Demdem(m): 5:30pm On Jun 14, 2010
donpappyt:

Yes, It is not ordinary. A USA TV have many feature compare to any other TV.
This are some of it features of USA TV

Display TypeLED-backlitScreen Size47"Screen Size Diagonal47.0"
Full HD 1080 Yes
Native Display Resolution1920 x 1080ED-Resolution1080p3D Ready Yes
Local DimmingYes
Dynamic Contrast Ratio10,000,000:1Refresh Rate480 HzIntelligent SensorYes
ENERGY STAR® CompliantYes
Response Time1 msNo. of HDMI Ports4NetCast™
Entertainment Access (Broadband)Yes
Internet ServicesYahoo!® TV Widgets,

Netflix®, Vudu™,
YouTube™,
Picasa™Wireless HD Ready*Yes
Wi-Fi® Ready*YesDNLA Certified®Yes

(JPEG Images Only)THX® Certified DisplayYes

Seamless DesignYes
Pictures, Music and Video via USB 2.0Yes
Warranty

the price is three time less than what we have in nigeria.

Interesting list u av up there but how many of those services will u be served from ur TV when it gets to naija
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by benlay(m): 5:45pm On Jun 14, 2010
mojounited:

@benlay shocked shocked shocked
You are dead wrong!, the hdtv  in question is US-made and would have an output voltage of 110V hence, using a step-up transformer with Nigerian 220v is going to produce an output voltage higher than 220v which may damage the fused or ICs (even more components) on the board. In lieu, a step-down transformer would be used to step-down the Nigerian voltage from 220v to 110v (vendor design voltage specification for the hdtv) - for american E&E appliances. cool
[/quote

I meant to write step-down, you could know that i knew what i was talking about. Thanks
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by mendomp: 6:47pm On Jun 14, 2010
THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE WONDERFUL AND IINFORMATIVE INPUTS,

LOVE NAIRALAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by johndavid1(m): 6:48pm On Jun 14, 2010
I will work perfectly don't deceive your self
mendomp:

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE WONDERFUL AND IINFORMATIVE INPUTS,

LOVE NAIRALAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the best place to be!!
Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by triistar86: 6:50pm On Jun 14, 2010
@ poster,

Except you are able to get an Analogue to digital converter trust me your tv wont pick any station in naija if it doesnt have an analogue tunner. secondly even with DSTV you wont get colored pictures all you would get is black and white except you get an NTSC to PAL converter. The only time you would enjoy High quality pictures on your tv is if you also get US spec Bluray or dvd player with you. I have sent such tv's to Naija and have heard feed backs from the users.

As a result I would advice you make sure that whatever tv you have is Multi system so that it can always switch from analogue to digital from PAL to NTSC to SECAM etc. . . .

About power you can easily step 240v down to 120v. . . .  Just ma 2cents!

1 Like

Re: Will A U.S. Plasma HDTV Work In Nigeria? by init4dmoni(m): 7:07pm On Jun 14, 2010
getting the same tv in a few days

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kindly Check Out My Logo / Mockups Designs / Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today / Come In For Your Graphics Design, Bonus Up For Grab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.