Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,819 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

How Do I Redirect My Site To A New Domain Name? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Do I Redirect My Site To A New Domain Name? (397 Views)

How Do Spammers Find Out When A New Domain Is Registered? / New Domain For Sale / Help I Cant Apply My New Domain Name To My Blogger Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Redirect My Site To A New Domain Name? by fishjam: 10:38am On Jul 19, 2018
Hello, I need Advice. My Domain name expires in 2 days time. I don't have interest in that Domain name again but i have interest in the website and planning to get another domain name. My question is how do i redirect traffic from the expiring domain name to the new one.

Also do i still need to renew the expiring one? Or just buy another domain and redirect b4 it expires. I'm confused.

For example if you visit naij.com you will be redirected to naija.ng Same with madailygist.com >>>> madailygist.ng

Lastly i've been hearing about 301, 302 redirect e.t.c I know nothing about it. So i need detailed explaination. Current domain is being registed on godaddy but i'm looking to buy new one on whogohost

Thanks
Re: How Do I Redirect My Site To A New Domain Name? by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 19, 2018
The questions are
Why do you want to buy a new domain name?
Do you think about search engines crawling?
How do you want to manage your old traffic that are used to your old domain name?
How do you intend to manage the backlinks?

It either you renew your old domain than re-direct it to the new one. That means you will have 2 domain to renew every year.

Check YouTube for the tutorial on how to redirect a domain name.

Good luck
Re: How Do I Redirect My Site To A New Domain Name? by SirLakes: 11:40am On Jul 19, 2018
First, you have to keep the old domain, if it expires, it's no longer yours , you don't have any access to it and what you are trying to achieve won't work.

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^example.com$ [NC] RewriteRule (.*)$ http://seconddomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

</IfModule>

Place the above code in the .htacess of the old domain.

Change - example.com to your old domain
change - seconddomain to your new domain

1 Like

Re: How Do I Redirect My Site To A New Domain Name? by bedfordng(m): 11:52am On Jul 19, 2018
once your old domain is expired, it will no longer work even when you redirect because it is no more yours. so for it to work, it needs to be active
Re: How Do I Redirect My Site To A New Domain Name? by fishjam: 11:56am On Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for all the replies..
Re: How Do I Redirect My Site To A New Domain Name? by fishjam: 12:01pm On Jul 19, 2018
sazjun:
The questions are
Why do you want to buy a new domain name?
Do you think about search engines crawling?
How do you want to manage your old traffic that are used to your old domain name?
How do you intend to manage the backlinks?

To answer you questions,
Previous domain got banned from google adsense
Search Engines crawlers shouldn't have problem with redirection if done properly ryt?
My Old traffic? 99% comes from search engine
Backlinks? I have no idea how that's gonna work out
Just advice me to the best of your knowledge if it would be best to dump the site once and for all or Proceed. I have other sites that are doing pretty well.

Thanks Sir
Re: How Do I Redirect My Site To A New Domain Name? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 19, 2018
SirLakes:
First, you have to keep the old domain, if it expires, it's no longer yours , you don't have any access to it and what you are trying to achieve won't work.

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^example.com$ [NC] RewriteRule (.*)$ http://seconddomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

</IfModule>

Best answer, follow this step
Re: How Do I Redirect My Site To A New Domain Name? by Doerstech(m): 3:26pm On Jul 19, 2018
SirLakes:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On

</IfModule>

Just do this....I guess you know how to access your .htaccess file

And you can also do the re-direction directly from your cpanel
Re: How Do I Redirect My Site To A New Domain Name? by fishjam: 7:33pm On Jul 19, 2018
Doerstech:

Just do this....I guess you know how to access your .htaccess file

And you can also do the re-direction directly from your cpanel

Thanks.. I've googled it. Relatively simple

(1) (Reply)

Please Bloggers Help Me Out / How To Join Paypal / 183k VERY ACTIVE Celebrity Page For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.