Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,014 members, 7,828,570 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Croatia To Donate World Cup Prize Money To Children's Charity - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Croatia To Donate World Cup Prize Money To Children's Charity (583 Views)

Breakdown Of World Cup Prize Money ($440M) / “I Didn’t Bring Coronavirus To Togo” - Emmanuel Adebayor Refuses To Donate / AFCON 2019: Prize Money For Algeria, Senegal, Nigeria To Be Received From CAF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Croatia To Donate World Cup Prize Money To Children's Charity by Teewhy2: 8:13pm On Jul 19, 2018
Croatia fetched a whooping £21 million for coming second out of the 32 teams that participated at the World Cup.
The players and coaching staff have decided to donate their bonuses to a children's charity.

Croatia enjoyed a fairytale run in Russia, but they were eventually beaten 4-2 in the final of the World Cup 2018 by a superior French side. The tournament was an overall success for the nation as they secured their best ever finish at the World Cup and they did their country proud.

According to reports, Croatia fetched a whooping £21 million for finishing as the runners-up. In an amazing gesture, the players and coaching staff have decided to donate their bonuses to a children's charity. It has been emerged that the money donated wold be channeled towards underprivileged children to aid their summer holidays. This great gesture goes to show that representing your country at the World Cup exceeds financial gains.

Croatia's wonderful act is not the first among European nations, with England players known to donate their match fees to charities. The players have raised a staggering £5 million for a number of initiatives and projects since setting up the scheme im 2007. With England’s securing a securing a semi-final finish for the first time in 28 years, there will have been plenty more added to the charitable pot.

Many countries including, World Cup champions, France do not make it compulsory for players to donate their match fees. However, teenage sensation and Young Player of The Tournament, Kylian Mbappe, had announced his decision to donate his match earnings to a charity that gives free sports training to children with disabilities.

The 19-year old has received a lot of plaudits for this selfless gesture.

https://m.republicworld.com/amp/sports-news/football-news/croatia-to-donate-world-cup-prize-money-to-childrens-charity.html?v=5.8.10&__twitter_impression=true

Re: Croatia To Donate World Cup Prize Money To Children's Charity by Teewhy2: 8:14pm On Jul 19, 2018
Croatia team stole my heart. Their president made me support the team , I even heard she drove the team around town all by herself just to appreciate them for flying the country flag high.
I now believe that a leader positive altitude rubs off on the altitude of the followers.
Re: Croatia To Donate World Cup Prize Money To Children's Charity by Homeboiy: 8:18pm On Jul 19, 2018
Awww See me see Croatia
Re: Croatia To Donate World Cup Prize Money To Children's Charity by VehicleUnit: 3:25am On Jul 20, 2018
that is great oo !

(1) (Reply)

El Clasico To Take Place On October 28 As La Liga Announces 2018/2019 Fixtures / WATCH Croatia's President catching her fun in the locker room with players / Ahmed Musa Scores A Crucial Goal On His Debut For Al Nassr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.