Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

Zidane/materazzi Head-butt Drama: Angel Told Me To Red Card Zidane, Ref Elizondo - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Zidane/materazzi Head-butt Drama: Angel Told Me To Red Card Zidane, Ref Elizondo (501 Views)

I Prefer Your Sister': Materazzi Reveals What He Told Zidane Before The Headbutt / (picture) 13 Years Ago, Zinedine Zidane Headbutted Marco Materazzi / Gary Lineker: Player Who Never Received A Yellow Or A Red Card In His Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zidane/materazzi Head-butt Drama: Angel Told Me To Red Card Zidane, Ref Elizondo by bluecircle470: 11:19pm On Jul 19, 2018
Argentinian referee Horacio Elizondo has spoken for the first time about the World Cup 2006 infamous clash between French captain Zinadine Zidane and Marco Materazzi.

Retired Elizondo spoke about the incident during a TED talk in the most candid manner, going in specific details on how he chose to send Zidane to the dressing room.

With no VAR being used back then, and with the stadium’s screens showing the incident, everyone thought that Elizondo saw the replay and decided to show the French ace a red card, but he denied such claims with his description of the incident.

“I saw Materazzi lying on the floor. I was a good 30 or 40 meters away. As I got close, I asked my two assistants if they had seen anything. Both of them told me they didn’t notice what went down,” Elizondo said.

“Then, my ‘guardian angel’ spoke to me via our intercommunication system. Fourth referee Medina Cantalejo saw it all and told me: ‘Zidane head-butted Materazzi’s chest! You really need to send him off!’ I didn’t believe him at first, but he urged me to take action. ‘When we get to the hotel, you’ll see it. You will regret it if you don’t send him off. It was unbelievable,’” Elizondo recalled.

The retired referee concluded his presentation by stating that Medina’s narration of the incident was so passionate that he decided to listen to his words. Furthermore, he revealed that if he had taken it a tone down, he might have let the incident slip.  

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/07/
Re: Zidane/materazzi Head-butt Drama: Angel Told Me To Red Card Zidane, Ref Elizondo by HotMario: 11:34pm On Jul 19, 2018
angry
Re: Zidane/materazzi Head-butt Drama: Angel Told Me To Red Card Zidane, Ref Elizondo by Style2020: 11:41pm On Jul 19, 2018
Still remember how Zidane hold the guy and gave him headbutted. � FTC dedicated to all my ex
Re: Zidane/materazzi Head-butt Drama: Angel Told Me To Red Card Zidane, Ref Elizondo by madridguy(m): 11:50pm On Jul 19, 2018
grin
Re: Zidane/materazzi Head-butt Drama: Angel Told Me To Red Card Zidane, Ref Elizondo by Mikora: 12:23am On Jul 20, 2018
Wetin dis one dey talk?
Re: Zidane/materazzi Head-butt Drama: Angel Told Me To Red Card Zidane, Ref Elizondo by NOC1(m): 6:17am On Jul 20, 2018
Lol, i know some people who will not read it but rush to comment based on headline news will compare the Ref with the likes of one SuYaman abi sulaiman of clergy.
The Angel in his comment is the 4th official who told him to do the right thing.

(1) (Reply)

Super Falcons Star Asisat Oshoala Shows Off The House She Bought For Her Parents / Chelsea V Arsenal Prediction 2018-2019 Season / 15th Sept Prediction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.