Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,283 members, 7,826,116 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

The Chinese Car Industry In Nigeria Is Getting Serious - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Chinese Car Industry In Nigeria Is Getting Serious (882 Views)

Li Xang: A Chinese Car With A Sleek Design And Amazing Features / Made In Nigeria: The Unexplored Vintage Car Industry (documentary) / How Can I Differentiate Between Korean And Chinese Car Batteries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Chinese Car Industry In Nigeria Is Getting Serious by SegunOnCars: 12:31pm On Jul 20, 2018
TO SEE THIS POST COMPLETE WITH IMAGES VISIT IT AT https://segunoncars..com/2018/07/the-chinese-might-be-getting-serious.html
Its a very interesting read at the blog segunoncars..com
be sure to follow for new updates

The first thing anybody would say after hearing the word China is 'Huge population'. After that it's Bootleg. The Chinese, or Chinkos as we know it, are known for the skills they employ when making an immitation or mock-up of something, and I mean anything. From wrist-watches to shoes and bags the Chinese are experts at making lookalikes. Reasoning from this fact, The Chinese are at it again...But they're getting serious this time. The Chinese are being serious about their cars. And believe You me, they are leaving no stone Unturned as they delve into the automobile industry.

The first car made by the Chinese was made on May 31, 1931 for Zhang Xueliang, the effective ruler of northeast China but Prior to production commencing, the factory was bombed by the invading Japanese and production never commenced. Several vehicle assembly factories were set up in the 1950s and 1960s and the first Chinese production vehicles were made by the First Automobile Works in 1958, a car called the Dongfeng CA-71. This car gained worldwide fame and was utilized by the Russians (then USSR).

Now Presently the Chinese have various Cars flooding the market in which most are in the likeness of other famous cars or share the underbody(chasis) or similar components to them but one car company making waves now in Nigeria is the GAC (Guangzhou Automobile Group) motor company. Cars from this Manufacturer have, on many occasions, been used as Prizes for various Events and talent hunts such as the popular 2018 HIP-TV Headies Awards in which popular Nigerian artiste Mayorkun won a Kia Sportage-like GAC GS4.

Notwithstanding what I've said, a model from this upcoming manufacturer I choose to single out and emphasise on is the GAC GS8. The GAC GS8 is a Full-Size SUV from the Car company GAC, powered by a 2.0 liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 201horsepower and 300NM of Torque, coming with a six-speed automatic gearbox sending power to all four wheels, the GS8 comes standard with 8 Airbags, a Blind spot warning system, a Lane Departure warning system, a 4WD Rotary Mode Switch, LED Daytime Running Lights, a Reverse Camera, Surround view Cameras, Key-less Entry, a Push Button Starter, Seat Belt Pre-Tensioners and almost 70 other features found only on cars such as the Mercedes Benz G-class. I'm not fooling You, check this link [1].

Pricing of the GS8 starts at and is between N8,500,000 to N13,500,000[2] which is not bad considering the features it is equipped with. Below are some pictures of the GAC GS8 and from them, it is apparent and arguably true that it's aggressive stance is quite pleasing to the eyes. All that being said, I have come to the conclusion that the GS8 has looks to match or maybe even supersede the Range Rover, comes with features that will rival most BMW's out there, and is economical to own and run due to its small Turbocharged 2.0Litre Powerplant. Presently being sold at the GAC Head office situated at Plot 7, Ligali Ayorinde Street, Vitoria Island,Lagos, Nigeria, The GAC GS8 seems to be trying to make a statement as an apology from the Chinese for their bootlegging status. I'm not sure if I'll buy one yet because of that "name" and My reliability distrust but we'll see how it goes in a few years time. If popular Car maker Kia and Hyundai did it, I'm sure the Chinkos too can do it. More Grease to their elbows. We'll be watching. Segun

(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

(1) (Reply)

Do You Need An Affordable Car Or Have A Car For Sale. / Steps To Take While Buying A Used Car / Reasons Why Front Wheel Drive Cars Are Popular Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.