Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,127 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages (15995 Views)

Innoson Displays More CNG And LNG Powered Vehicles(photos) / Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages / Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by AutoJoshNG: 12:05pm On Jul 23, 2018
Petrol or diesel-powered vehicle?

This is one buying decision that sometimes confront us.

Indeed, here in Nigeria, we have come to associate the diesel engine with big trucks and buses. Diesel cars - especially those acquired for private use - are rare Nigeria, but they are, indeed, available.

According to a research carried out by Edmunds.com: in the US, only 3% of new cars sold there are diesel-powered. Meanwhile, the opposite is the case in Europe.

Also according to the report by Edmunds.com, in Europe over 50% of the new cars sold there have diesel engines.

So, is there something that the Europeans know that the rest of us do not know?

Well, vehicles running on diesel are notorious for their clattering sound and smoke belching. However, in recent times, there have being remarkable improvements in that regard. In newer diesel cars – even an untrained ear will find it difficult to differentiate between a car running on diesel or high-octane petrol. Even emission controls have improved for diesel cars.

Anyway, let analyze some advantages and disadvantages of the diesel-powered vehicles.

Better Fuel Economy

Diesel vehicles can travel further distances with little fuel. They can can deliver up to 25% to 30% better fuel economy compared to vehicles that are powered by petrol engines. However, it is important to note that the model and automotive technology of the engine also plays a huge part when it comes to fuel economy performance. Otherwise, diesel engines typically consume far less fuel than similarly performing petrol-engines.

Tougher and Rugged Engines

Diesel engines are rugged. They are designed to withstand the challenge of higher compression. They perform better, that is why they are used in vehicles designed for commercial transportation. What diesel-powered vehicles lack in speed (indeed, they are slower than petrol-powered vehicles) they make up in strength.

Less Carbon-Monoxide Emission

Diesel engines emits far less carbon monoxide than petrol-powered engines. This particular advantage is why diesel engines are preferred in some non-automotive machines in environments that carbon monoxide can prove dangerous. For example, in power generators, in submarines, in mines, etc. However, this does not mean that they do not emit carbon monoxide, but not in the potentially fatal amount like petrol engines do.

Higher Torque

Torque is a rotating force produced by a vehicle engine’s crankshaft. This translate into strong pulling power. The more torque an engine produces, the greater its ability to perform work, towing objects or carry heavy load. Torque becomes more important as vehicles get larger and heavier. Diesel-powered engines offer a higher torque than petrol-driving engines. This is the reason why larger vehicles – or vehicles designed for towing or carrying heavy loads – tend to be fitted with diesel engines. Diesels engines offer more torque at lower revs than petrol engines. A small car can easily cruise along with very little torque, whereas a big SUV, truck and toying vehicles needs a lot of torque to get it moving. Diesels engines are known for their exceptional torque delivery even at low RPMs.

Diesel is Safer

Diesel vehicles have proven significantly safer than regular petrol vehicles for several reasons. For instance, diesel is more difficult to catch on fire or burn than petrol and it will not normally explode when exposed to a high heat source. Since diesel fuel does not release fumes like petrol, the possibility of diesel vapours igniting and causing a vehicle fire is much lower. All of these factors contribute to providing increased protection for motorists in the event of a major car accident when driving their vehicles.

Excellent for Towing

Vehicles that are manufactured to use diesel as fuel are typically produced to have a lot of torque (pulling power) at low engine speeds. For instance, a 4-cylinder diesel vehicle can produce as much torque as a 6-cylinder petrol engine.

No Ignition Tune-ups Required

Diesel-powered vehicle do not need ignition tune-ups, this is because they do not have spark plugs or distributors. This is a big advantage for diesel engines. Diesel fuel automatically ignites to power the engine. It is for this reason that it does not require a spark plug or distributor – and by extension, the overall maintenance costs of diesel-powered vehicles are significantly lowered as compared to petrol-powered cars and trucks.

More Reliable And Last longer

Indeed, diesel engines have proven to be more reliable than petrol powered engines. They also tend to last longer. This is because they are generally built stronger than petrol engines. One reason for this is the fact that diesel engines does not require a high-voltage ignition system. Also, they also do not emit RF (radio frequency) that can cause issues with a vehicle’s electronic system. As long as car owners keep up with oil changes and other routine maintenance on the vehicle, it is not unheard of to see a diesel engine far outlast the other components in a vehicle.

Diesel Costs More Than Petrol

In some countries like Nigeria, the most obvious disadvantage of using a diesel powered-vehicle is the relative higher cost. They tend to cost more than petrol.

Regular Maintenance

For the fact that they do not have spark plugs or distributors, a diesel vehicle does not need ignition tune-ups. However, the absence of these elements also means you have to do more when it comes to maintaining your vehicle. In other words, the vehicle would need to have the oil, air and fuel filters changed on a regular basis.

Slower Speed Performance
If you are expecting high-speed performance from your diesel-powered car, then you might be disappointed. Diesel vehicles, though more efficient, stronger and more enduring, tend to be slower in speed performance than petrol-powered vehicles. It is for this reason that sport cars are rarely designed to use diesel.

Noisy Engine

The engines of diesel vehicles tend to produce a lot of noise, especially the clattering type. Although manufacturers today are getting good at using sound-muffling insulation in their diesel cars. That notwithstanding, diesel engines still have a bit of that characteristic diesel clatter.

They Generate a Lot of Smoke and Smell

Diesel vehicles are notorious for generating a lot of smoke. This is primarily due to the low-tech diesels found in older vehicles. However, today’s diesels are far more refined and are almost entirely smoke- and odor-free. This is due to cleaner (low sulfur) diesel, special exhaust additives, and advanced catalytic converter technology, today’s modern diesel car are more environmentally friendly than its gasoline

Scarcity of Good Diesel Mechanics

Unlike petrol-powered vehicles, mechanic who are proficient in repairing diesel powered vehicle are hard to come by.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/diesel-powered-vehicles-their-advantages-and-disadvantages/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by madridguy(m): 12:09pm On Jul 23, 2018
Petrol or diesel-powered vehicle, make God just do one for me.
Enough of Okada and danfo for Lagos.

15 Likes

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by sonofspada(m): 12:39pm On Jul 23, 2018
Auto Josh my guy!

Thanks for this one.

2 Likes

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by tayo4ng(m): 1:29pm On Jul 23, 2018
Kk, space for sell. contact me at home
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by symbianDON(m): 1:35pm On Jul 23, 2018
forget petrol, forget diesel......electric ti take over

9 Likes

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by asdfjklhaha(f): 1:37pm On Jul 23, 2018
ok
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Mutemenot(m): 1:37pm On Jul 23, 2018
Diesel powered cars are cheaper . I may give one a try afterall I'm not chasing anyone so the speed dies not matter to me

4 Likes

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by profosenogoboy: 1:45pm On Jul 23, 2018
Buy diesel engine car at your own parrel l hate that dot with passion
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by 1miccza: 1:48pm On Jul 23, 2018
symbianDON:
forget petrol, forget diesel......electric ti take over
Bros that one go work well for naija??
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by frowland(m): 1:48pm On Jul 23, 2018
Nice one AutoJosh

1 Like

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by robinso01(m): 1:51pm On Jul 23, 2018
diesel or petrol, I no mind, am damn tired of footwagen

2 Likes

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by apoti(m): 1:56pm On Jul 23, 2018
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Sektor101(m): 2:00pm On Jul 23, 2018
I need one, any for sale?
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by apoti(m): 2:00pm On Jul 23, 2018
One of the main disadvantages of diesel cars is the generation of the NOx gases, which have serious health and environmental effect

1 Like

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 23, 2018
Electric car any day!
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by RevenGeMission: 2:08pm On Jul 23, 2018
I'd sell you a rover 75 but you may not like it .... God will provide sha , for you and me both and it'll not be what we don't want
madridguy:
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Akanapiaigwe: 2:20pm On Jul 23, 2018
madridguy:
quit BMC and find a better job and thank me later
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Mcreloaded(m): 2:27pm On Jul 23, 2018
Better you have a diesel car and petrol car as petrol scarcity is a normal so you can interchange cars when the need arise

1 Like

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by hollywater: 2:33pm On Jul 23, 2018
Team diesel engine. Op you are right. But talking of speed,go and try 2010 Mercedes Benz E class (Diesel engine) and thank me later. Besides, Nigeria have little good road to speed.

2 Likes

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by domack99(m): 2:33pm On Jul 23, 2018
I don't understand, you said better fuel economy as one of the advantage and still mentioned high cost of Diesel as a disadvantage.

3 Likes

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Koolking(m): 2:50pm On Jul 23, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
Petrol or diesel-powered vehicle?

Less Carbon-Monoxide Emission
Diesel engines emits far less carbon monoxide than petrol-powered engines. This particular advantage is why diesel engines are preferred in some non-automotive machines in environments that carbon monoxide can prove dangerous. For example, in power generators, in submarines, in mines, etc. However, this does not mean that they do not emit carbon monoxide, but not in the potentially fatal amount like petrol engines do.

They Generate a Lot of Smoke and Smell
Diesel vehicles are notorious for generating a lot of smoke. This is primarily due to the low-tech diesels found in older vehicles. However, today’s diesels are far more refined and are almost entirely smoke- and odor-free. This is due to cleaner (low sulfur) diesel, special exhaust additives, and advanced catalytic converter technology, today’s modern diesel car are more environmentally friendly than its gasoline

I think, the above are contradictory. I understand smoke is Carbon monoxide. AutoJosh, you may have convincing explanation
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Teeisaac(m): 2:57pm On Jul 23, 2018
Diesel, petrol, gas, electric or coal engine... Baba jus gimme one for now
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by oglalasioux(m): 3:09pm On Jul 23, 2018
It's not true that diesel cars go slower. Let your engine warm up for at least five minutes in the morning before moving. It will run like every other car.

The noise is usually during idle mode. Once the car is revved it smooths out.

Diesel is more expensive than petrol but it burns slower giving you more miles on less fuel. Besides you can never be stranded, fuel wise, with a diesel car. Kerosene is sold everywhere in Nigeria. 5 litres of kerosene can take you to the nearest fuel station from wherever you are.

The only disadvantage of diesel cars is the low number of technicians in Nigeria that know how to service it.

2 Likes

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by sonnie10: 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2018
Low emission ke?
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by udoka55555: 3:29pm On Jul 23, 2018
am suspecting the mod that moved this post have a diesel engine car...
every time this post will be making FP with different captions.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by omar22(m): 3:41pm On Jul 23, 2018
Advantages

They are stronger/ Durable /reliable

They give you more miles to the gallon than petrol

Disadvantage

They are slow off the line

The engine are noisy

They are not as rapid as the petrol engine

Trouble starting them in the cold weather

I stopped using petrol engine cars since 2008. On my diesel I spend as much as someone using a 1.2 petrol engine car on my 2.0 Peugeot 407

1 Like

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 23, 2018
I prefer petrol cars
DM me ASAP for your cheap data
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Octaves(m): 4:01pm On Jul 23, 2018
oglalasioux:
It's not true that diesel cars go slower. Let your engine warm up for at least five minutes in the morning before moving. It will run like every other car.

Diesel is more expensive than petrol but it burns slower giving you more miles on less fuel. Besides you can never be stranded, fuel wise, with a diesel car. Kerosene is sold everywhere in Nigeria. 5 litres of kerosene can take you to the nearest fuel station from wherever you are.

The only disadvantage of diesel cars is the low number of technicians in Nigeria that know how to service it.
modern diesel cars are not slow but compared to their petrol equivalents are a bit slower
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by sheffyUTD(m): 4:06pm On Jul 23, 2018
oglalasioux:

This is someone with a diesel engine experience. Well said. But as for the kerosene cry

I used c220 CDI, Low acceleration but monster speed. Only noisy for the first 1-3 mins. It had a nozzle problem and the useless mechanic messed it up. I was forced to sell it off. I will still still go for a diesel engine in the near future when I chop up.

Two key turn off are the technical know how of our mechanics and very poor fuel quality.

1 Like

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by gevans(m): 4:12pm On Jul 23, 2018
noted for necessary action

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Acting Igp Re-empasizes Ban On Roadblocks. / A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi / Help, What Are The Dangers Of Using Cars Coverted From Right To Left Hand Drive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.