Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? (1094 Views)

List Of Low Size RPG Offline Games With Great Graphics / Setting Up A Game House within 72 hours / What's Your Favorite Game Genre? (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by LucemFerre: 7:42pm On Jul 24, 2018
Isn't every game a role playing game? Because we are always playing as someone, even in VR.
Even board games have score boards which are not tattooed on your forehead or chest.
No wonder I never really understood what an RPG really is.
I think RPG is a wrong description for any kind of game genre.

In shooting, yea you shoot
Adventure, yea you go on an adventure
Hack and slash, cool
Fighting cool
But what the hell is a Role Playing Game?
I didn't remember physically fighting Mundus when playing DMC, did you? So, why the hell should it be any less of an RPG than whatever game is in the RPG genre?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by Osasnidas(m): 8:16pm On Jul 24, 2018
The little I know about RPG is that you assume the role of your avatar and play against other avatars in an online platform,you get to interact with other characters online.. RPG games I have played on my Android was Darkness Reborn it was great till the game was discontinued.
Re: How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by LucemFerre: 8:21pm On Jul 24, 2018
Osasnidas:
The little I know about RPG is that you assume the role of your avatar and play against other avatars in an online platform,you get to interact with other characters online.. RPG games I have played on my Android was Darkness Reborn it was great till the game was discontinued.

Why is it more of a role playing than any other game?
Re: How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by Osasnidas(m): 11:06pm On Jul 24, 2018
The internet connection... You link it up with a social media account.. your avatar takes up the information in your social media
Re: How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by LucemFerre: 11:30pm On Jul 24, 2018
Hehe... Then it should be called "Avatar online linking" genre or some sh!t like that
Re: How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 25, 2018
Role Playing because by style RPG are heavily centric on stories and character development and also depending on your actions, the game can end a certain way, that's why it's called and most rpg are big on EXPS, Character Class, Job Systems, Quests , mini events, so it's basically different element from most games.
Re: How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by LucemFerre: 10:12am On Jul 25, 2018
pcguru1:
Role Playing because by style RPG are heavily centric on stories and character development and also depending on your actions, the game can end a certain way, that's why it's called and most rpg are big on EXPS, Character Class, Job Systems, Quests , mini events, so it's basically different element from most games.

Okay but, shouldn't they have found a better way to describe the genre than using an ambiguous term like Role Playing?
Re: How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 25, 2018
LucemFerre:

Okay but, shouldn't they have found a better way to describe the genre than using an ambiguous term like Role Playing?

I just explained how you are playing a person role and how all the functionality is about character development and story plot and decision making that affects the character, if Role Playing doesn't describe it well i don't think there's any other word that can. Role Playing is all i have just described
Re: How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 25, 2018
Osasnidas:
The internet connection... You link it up with a social media account.. your avatar takes up the information in your social media
that's MMORPG if you are now talking about avatar, most RPG is playing a role but the moment avatar comes in then it's MMORPG where the character development is not the main center as you are the character , Most MMORPG have little story with character development
Re: How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by LucemFerre: 12:08pm On Jul 25, 2018
pcguru1:

I just explained how you are playing a person role and how all the functionality is about character development and story plot and decision making that affects the character, if Role Playing doesn't describe it well i don't think there's any other word that can. Role Playing is all i have just described

I understand sir, I'm not saying role playing doesn't describe that. I'm saying it also describes something else and shouldn't exclusively be attached to that genre alone without a suffix that makes it better distinctive.
Re: How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 25, 2018
LucemFerre:

I understand sir, I'm not saying role playing doesn't describe that. I'm saying it also describes something else and shouldn't exclusively be attached to that genre alone without a suffix that makes it better distinctive.

yeah sometimes to be frank don't take the literal meaning of Role Playing sometimes the industry might have changed the context and just referred to all those types as Role Playing
Re: How And Why Is RPG A Game Genre? by HyDef(m): 3:31pm On Jul 25, 2018
You've made a good point.

RPGs are typically centered around character development, with leveling up and customizing your character in terms of weaponry, armor, skill sets and so on. They also tend to have more open worlds than other games, which are considerably more linear.
Most games, are literally role-playing, but I suppose RPGs are a little more involved than others, because they give you more freedom, and more choice in 'playing the role'.

But yeah, it's a generic name.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Dream Laptop!!! / Used Ps4 Games / PES 4 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.