Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,753 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Religion Or Science? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Or Science? (1151 Views)

Our Ancestors Never Accepted The "Whiteman's" Religion. Or Did They? / Any Religion or Secret group that entices people with money Is satanic / Is Your Religion Or Church A Cult? 8 Points That Prove You're In A Cult!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion Or Science? by princeSammyz: 8:21am On Jul 29, 2018
“Then let me ask you this famous question: Would you rather live in a world without technology … or in a world without religion? Would you rather live without medicine, electricity, transportation, and antibiotics … or without zealots waging war over fictional tales and imaginary spirits?” That is a quote from Dan Brown's Origin, and I'll like to put it us here, if the universe suddenly makes religion and science mutually exclusive, which will you go with?

1 Like

Re: Religion Or Science? by hopefulLandlord: 8:35am On Jul 29, 2018
As an antireligious person, my answer is obvious
Re: Religion Or Science? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:52am On Jul 29, 2018
I'VE NEVER SEEN ANY ACCIDENT VICTIM RUSHED TO THE CHURCH INSTEAD OF A HOSPITAL.

RELIGIOUS PEOPLE WILL WANT TO DECEIVE THEMSELVES BY SAYING THAT SOMETIMES GOD GIVES HEALINGS THROUGH THE DOCTORS AND MEDICINE.. BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT TAKING SICK PEOPLE TO THE HOSPITALS IS MORE EFFICIENT THAN TAKING THEM TO CHURCHES.

SCIENCE AND RELIGION.
ONE WORKS FOR THE BETTERMENT OF MANKIND. THE OTHER IS A MENTAL PROBLEM (ON THE DECLINE).

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Or Science? by rekinomtla(m): 9:07am On Jul 29, 2018
“Then let me ask you this famous question: Would you rather live in a world without technology … or in a world without atheism? Would you rather live without medicine, electricity, transportation, and antibiotics … or without zealots distorting science, history and religion?” That is a quote from Dun Crown's Origin, and I'll like to put it us here, if the universe suddenly makes atheism and science mutually exclusive, which will you go with?

1 Like

Re: Religion Or Science? by NPComplete: 9:09am On Jul 29, 2018
Anybody that believes in God should believe in science. Science is the tool God uses to continually perfect his creation. Not religion. Not Christianity.

Like all the other works of God, science produces consistent result to a very high probability. Just as u don't need to be a Christian or Muslim to benefit from rain, you don't need to be either or to have any faith to benefit from science. What works for the majority will very likely work for you. Any system that requires having a special faith or visiting a special pastor cannot be of God.

Just like we the creatures of God continually evolve, so does knowledge of science. Forever growing into something more and more practical and beneficial. But relgious knowlede is stagnant, stagnating or even retrogressive. Given the evidence, we know that which is more useful between science and religion.

Though I acknowledge the usefulness of religion in this day and age especially considering the high number of subhumans whose primitive instincts are being suppressed by their devotion to religion (and there is a lot of evidence for these kinds of people among Nairaland Christians), in the long run, science is preferable to religion.
Re: Religion Or Science? by RuthlessLeader(m): 9:24am On Jul 29, 2018
rekinomtla:
“Then let me ask you this famous question: Would you rather live in a world without technology … or in a world without atheism? Would you rather live without medicine, electricity, transportation, and antibiotics … or without zealots distorting science, history and religion?” That is a quote from Dun Crown's Origin, and I'll like to put it us here, if the universe suddenly makes atheism and science mutually exclusive, which will you go with?
Atheism is the lack of belief in a God.

Can you for one year alone, take all the accident victims in your church to pastor for prayer? Can you regrow the limbs of amputees?

And I would go with Science.
Re: Religion Or Science? by Outofsync(m): 10:24am On Jul 29, 2018
NPComplete:
Anybody that believes in God should believe in science. Science is the tool God uses to continually perfect his creation. Not religion. Not Christianity.

Like all the other works of God, science produces consistent result to a very high probability. Just as u don't need to be a Christian or Muslim to benefit from rain, you don't need to be either or to have any faith to benefit from science. What works for the majority will very likely work for you. Any system that requires having a special faith or visiting a special pastor cannot be of God.

Just like we the creatures of God continually evolve, so does knowledge of science. Forever growing into something more and more practical and beneficial. But relgious knowlede is stagnant, stagnating or even retrogressive. Given the evidence, we know that which is more useful between science and religion.

Though I acknowledge the usefulness of religion in this day and age especially considering the high number of subhumans whose primitive instincts are being suppressed by their devotion to religion (and there is a lot of evidence for these kinds of people among Nairaland Christians), in the long run, science is preferable to religion.
Reasonable conclusion but I disagree when you say Religious knowledge is stagnant because Religion, like other social concept, evolve with the times and what was once taken to be literal suddenly gets reinterpreted metaphorically (once evidence discrediting comes to light), and then they say "A-ha! we were right all along" grin

The question the OP is posing is redundant though, You can't have humans without having religion. it is impossible. Religion is the mystery of the unknown, the reason behind unreasonable incidents, the opium in a world filled with pain.
And without science, we'd have been dead already.

it's like saying "If you had to choose to between your heart and your brain, which would you choose"
Re: Religion Or Science? by sonmvayina(m): 10:26am On Jul 29, 2018
Spirituality and science is the best combination.. It is what has always been...
Re: Religion Or Science? by mmsen: 10:43am On Jul 29, 2018
princeSammyz:
“Then let me ask you this famous question: Would you rather live in a world without technology … or in a world without religion? Would you rather live without medicine, electricity, transportation, and antibiotics … or without zealots waging war over fictional tales and imaginary spirits?” That is a quote from Dan Brown's Origin, and I'll like to put it us here, if the universe suddenly makes religion and science mutually exclusive, which will you go with?

Religion and science ARE mutually exclusive.

Religion is the problem not science.
Re: Religion Or Science? by mmsen: 10:45am On Jul 29, 2018
Outofsync:

Reasonable conclusion but I disagree when you say Religious knowledge is stagnant because Religion, like other social concept, evolve with the times and what was once taken to be literal suddenly gets reinterpreted metaphorically (once evidence discrediting comes to light), and then they say "A-ha! we were right all along" grin

The question the OP is posing is redundant though, You can't have humans without having religion. it is impossible. Religion is the mystery of the unknown, the reason behind unreasonable incidents, the opium in a world filled with pain.
And without science, we'd have been dead already.

it's like saying "If you had to choose to between your heart and your brain, which would you choose"

There are hundreds of millions of people who live just fine without religion.
Re: Religion Or Science? by Outofsync(m): 10:54am On Jul 29, 2018
mmsen:

There are hundreds of millions of people who live just fine without religion.
There are similarly hundreds of millions of people who know nothing about science.
Re: Religion Or Science? by NPComplete: 11:15am On Jul 29, 2018
Outofsync:

There are similarly hundreds of millions of people who know nothing about science.

Did u just pull this number out of a hat? Even your 90 year old grandma knows about science. She may call it Oyinbo stuff but she understands its usefulness. Short of undiscovered tribes in the Amazon and other parts of the world everyone else knows about science. And, collectively, they are hardly up to 5 million.

So where did u get your number from? If u had said "hundreds of millions of people get by without science", that would have been a bit more tenable.
Re: Religion Or Science? by vaxx: 11:23am On Jul 29, 2018
princeSammyz:
science and religion can never be exclusive if geared toward the truth.Ritual -example. Worshiping rising sun, Almost all religions do it . Science - Sunrays are source of Vitamins. Also, the rays improves your eyesight. But, looking directly in to the sun during noon may harm your eyes. So it was advised to look and pay aboyance to ultimate source of energy early in the moring.... . You can visit my thread....https://www.nairaland.com/4373546/believe-religion-same-time-accept
Re: Religion Or Science? by hopefulLandlord: 11:24am On Jul 29, 2018
NPComplete:

Did u just pull this number out of a hat? Even your 90 year old grandma knows about science. She may call it Oyinbo stuff but she understands its usefulness. Short of undiscovered tribes in the Amazon and other parts of the world everyone else knows about science. And, collectively, they are hardly up to 5 million.

So where did u get your number from? If u had said "hundreds of millions of people get by without science", that would have been a bit more tenable.

Does anyone really get by without science? I say no! most of everything we know is scientific so they may not be aware but they're still using science.

1 Like

Re: Religion Or Science? by Outofsync(m): 11:26am On Jul 29, 2018
NPComplete:

The world has an overall literacy rate of 51.3%

that means approximately 49.7% of 7 b people are illiterate

do the math
Re: Religion Or Science? by NPComplete: 11:29am On Jul 29, 2018
Outofsync:

The world has an overall literacy rate of 51.3%

that means approximately 49.7% of 7 b people are illiterate

do the math

Jesus dude. How does illiteracy equate to knowing nothing about science? Even the illiterate knows how to use a phone; knows to visit a doctor or pharmacist when he is ill; knows to fill up his car with fuel and not water etc.....

I am disappointed at this your explanation.

1 Like

Re: Religion Or Science? by Outofsync(m): 11:36am On Jul 29, 2018
NPComplete:

Jesus dude. How does illiteracy equate to knowing nothing about science? Even the illiterate knows how to use a phone; knows to visit a doctor or pharmacist when he is ill; knows to fill up his car with fuel and not water etc.....

I am disappointed at this your explanation.
Dude, the fact that I'm using something does not mean I know something about it.
That an illiterate goes to a doctor doesn't mean he knows there's science involved,all he knows is that he goes to visit the man in white coat when he's feeling ill, the man gives me a slip, another man in a white coat gives me some pills and he takes then and feels well. the man has used the product centuries and decades of scientific research, yet he remains completely ignorant about it.

I do hope you realize you can use something and remain ignorant, know absolutely nothing about it.
And for Bleep sake, how can you be scientifically literate if you can't even read
Re: Religion Or Science? by Vyntage: 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2018
That's a bit ridiculous. Science and religion are mutually exclusive. We live in a world with both and they don't usually collide. People who ask questions like these are usually people who don't really know much about either... In my opinion.
Re: Religion Or Science? by TR1212: 2:06pm On Jul 29, 2018
NPComplete:

Thank you.... Some...

@op, to your question: before you can make religion and science exclusive and expect people to chose, be ready to to explain and answer some abnormal, Supernatural, weird, odd etc. phenomena with science. Until then, God is science.
Re: Religion Or Science? by Kolanist(m): 7:03pm On Jul 29, 2018
I dont believe in religion but am a very strong christian. True christianity is not a religion,we are not one of the systems seeking the creator,we are the only system the creator used to seek mankind, there is nothing fallen man can do to find the creator,it is futile because The creator cannot be seen with physical effort,the creator had to come as a man to show us the way,every other way is of the evil one and the creator has proved His way through superiority in supernatural strength and holiness.ok how can u be in Nigeria and deny the existence of the supernatural even witchcraft .u believe in going to babalawo to recieve charm from the devils but u deny the existence of GOD who made all things
Re: Religion Or Science? by mmsen: 3:59am On Jul 30, 2018
Outofsync:

And many of them die prematurely or of completely preventable ailments as a result of their ignorance.
Re: Religion Or Science? by princeSammyz: 6:43am On Jul 30, 2018
rekinomtla:
Lol. Mind you, being an atheist is not same as being antireligious. There are so many who believe the existence of a Supreme Being but do not buy into organized religion especially as we have it today. Atheism is a different story entirely.
Re: Religion Or Science? by princeSammyz: 6:55am On Jul 30, 2018
vaxx:
science and religion can never be exclusive if geared toward the truth.Ritual -example. Worshiping rising sun, Almost all religions do it . Science - Sunrays are source of Vitamins. Also, the rays improves your eyesight. But, looking directly in to the sun during noon may harm your eyes. So it was advised to look and pay aboyance to ultimate source of energy early in the moring.... . You can visit my thread....https://www.nairaland.com/4373546/believe-religion-same-time-accept
vaxx:
One requires empirical evidence, the other faith. Therefore a true scientist cannot be true to religion at the same time. One tells you we are coming from evolution and that there are evidences, the other tells you we were created and you should believe. Even if you argue that the two, as we have them now are not mutually exclusive, you can't deny that at least, science selectively excludes religion. You still have not made a choice though, science or religion?
Re: Religion Or Science? by vaxx: 7:11am On Jul 30, 2018
princeSammyz:
One requires empirical evidence, the other faith. Therefore a true scientist cannot be true to religion at the same time. One tells you we are coming from evolution and that there are evidences, the other tells you we were created and you should believe. Even if you argue that the two, as we have them now are not mutually exclusive, you can't deny that at least, science selectively excludes religion. You still have not made a choice though, science or religion?
There is no need for God in science, but there are religious scientists of various religions who believe in God. These scientists are not necessarily creationist. On the contrary - if they believe in God, they also believe that there is something which is beyond logic, beyond time and beyond space. They can live with the apparent contradiction because these two things reside on two different levels. Science observes what IS and belief goes for what is beyond that, what resides in the Transcendental.

I still maintain that religion and science are not exclusive if geared toward the truth.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion Or Science? by princeSammyz: 7:11am On Jul 30, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:
I'VE NEVER SEEN ANY ACCIDENT VICTIM RUSHED TO THE CHURCH INSTEAD OF A HOSPITAL.

RELIGIOUS PEOPLE WILL WANT TO DECEIVE THEMSELVES BY SAYING THAT SOMETIMES GOD GIVES HEALINGS THROUGH THE DOCTORS AND MEDICINE.. BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT TAKING SICK PEOPLE TO THE HOSPITALS IS MORE EFFICIENT THAN TAKING THEM TO CHURCHES.

SCIENCE AND RELIGION.
ONE WORKS FOR THE BETTERMENT OF MANKIND. THE OTHER IS A MENTAL PROBLEM (ON THE DECLINE).
Mental problem on a decline? LOL. Great perspective, but remember some people claim supernatural health and protection by reason of their religion. And also they are testimonies of healing from terminal diseases like cancer and so on all around. Probably there is a very important role of religion in humanity that we easily wave off simple because of the disturbing dimension religion has taken in recent times. I feel humanity craves religion, but I am not clear if it needs it or not. Just imagine a world without religion.
Re: Religion Or Science? by princeSammyz: 7:19am On Jul 30, 2018
TR1212:

Thank you.... Some...

@op, to your question: before you can make religion and science exclusive and expect people to chose, be ready to to explain and answer some abnormal, Supernatural, weird, odd etc. phenomena with science. Until then, God is science.

People believed Ogun caused thunder until people knew better. Likewise eclipse and many other stuffs... Whatever is weird now will/more not continue that way as we have better probes for our environment through science and tech. Will you choose science or religion if you were to vote out one?
Re: Religion Or Science? by hopefulLandlord: 7:27am On Jul 30, 2018
princeSammyz:
People believed Ogun caused thunder until people knew better. Likewise eclipse and many other stuffs... Whatever is weird now will/more not continue that way as we have better probes for our environment through science and tech. Will you choose science or religion if you were to vote out one?

Good question bro and nice leading up to it

"Spiritual controls the physical!" these theists scream but observation so far shows the opposite as physical explanations are replacing spiritual ones

There was a time malaria was said to be spiritual but a physical antimalarial drug controlled that spiritual power.

there was a time Infant mortality was higher in Hospitals. It was so bad that women preferred giving birth at home or on their way to the hospitals than in hospitals themselves. Supernatural powers believers claimed some vengeful spirits were responsible for the mortality and only spiritual powers can counter the effects of that spirit. Many Austrians and other nations believed this claim till Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis was able to prove that the doctors simply washing their hands in between attending to patients would reduce the mortality rates by a huge margin. Suddenly something attributed to spiritual powers by the people was controlled by a simple physical action (handwashing)

2 Likes

Re: Religion Or Science? by princeSammyz: 7:32am On Jul 30, 2018
vaxx:
There is no need for God in science, but there are religious scientists of various religions who believe in God. These scientists are not necessarily creationist. On the contrary - if they believe in God, they also believe that there is something which is beyond logic, beyond time and beyond space. They can live with the apparent contradiction because these two things reside on two different levels. Science observes what IS and belief goes for what is beyond that, what resides in the Transcendental.

I still maintain that religion and science are not exclusive if geared toward the truth.....
Yea. Believing in God is different from accepting a religion. E.G. all religions have a creation story and if you subscribe to such a religion you accept whatever it says. So as a Christain, you must choose Adam and Eve over evolution. Accepting the two is obvious contradiction. God is a universal concept, religion however is more or less a camp or party stuff. Many times religious stories and principles which devotion demands us to believe, stand in stack opposite of scientific principles and it will make no sense accepting both at one time.
Re: Religion Or Science? by princeSammyz: 7:38am On Jul 30, 2018
Vyntage:
That's a bit ridiculous. Science and religion are mutually exclusive. We live in a world with both and they don't usually collide. People who ask questions like these are usually people who don't really know much about either... In my opinion.
They do collide, and very much for that matter. If science says seeing is believing, and religion says believing is seeing, how much contradiction do we have to have to admit there do collide. Their collision is of course evident in history especially the early church and the early scientists.
Re: Religion Or Science? by vaxx: 7:45am On Jul 30, 2018
princeSammyz:
Yea. Believing in God is different from accepting a religion. E.G. all religions have a creation story and if you subscribe to such a religion you accept whatever it says. So as a Christain, you must choose Adam and Eve over evolution. Accepting the two is obvious contradiction. God is a universal concept, religion however is more or less a camp or party stuff. Many times religious stories and principles which devotion demands us to believe, stand in stack opposite of scientific principles and it will make no sense accepting both at one time.
Religion is a social construct which is based on the belief in God and tries to create a practical theory of exactly what God is and what should humans do in respect to It.

Science and religion can happily coexist for open minded individuals. The open minded scientist will concede a theory other than his own may be possible, even allow that there is truth in many religious beliefs, may even believe in one. The same goes for open minded religious people. Where the science and religion can never coexist is for closed minded people, athiest or irreligious people.

This is a A famous Quote by Noble Laureate Nobel physicist Erwin Schrodinger

‘I am very astonished that the scientific picture of the real world around me is very deficient. It gives a lot of factual information, puts all our experience in a magnificently consistent order, but it is ghastly silent about all and sundry that is really near to our heart, that really matters to us. It cannot tell us a word about red and blue, bitter and sweet, physical pain and physical delight; it knows nothing of beautiful and ugly, good or bad, God and eternity. Science sometimes pretends to answer questions in these domains, but the answers are very often so silly that we are not inclined to take them seriously.’
Re: Religion Or Science? by TR1212: 7:31pm On Aug 01, 2018
princeSammyz:

I said it before, and you reiterated my point with the text in bold above. UNTIL someone is able to separate science and religion(more like spirituality) by explaining certain phenomena with science, this question needs not be asked, because to me God is science, and if you want to prove othereise(which is what science does) I'm open to your findings.
Re: Religion Or Science? by Psub(f): 9:34pm On Aug 04, 2018
princeSammyz:
They do collide, and very much for that matter. If science says seeing is believing, and religion says believing is seeing, how much contradiction do we have to have to admit there do collide. Their collision is of course evident in history especially the early church and the early scientists.

Hello..

(1) (2) (Reply)

God Does Not Exist / The Most Powerful Spiritual Man In Yoruba Land Nigeria Ogun State Ijebu Igbo / Does God Accept Thanksgiving Of A Sinner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.