Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:35 AM

Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project (7323 Views)

2020 Land Rover Defender Returns With A Complete Makeover (photos) / SOLD!!! Ultra Rare 2016 Khan Defender 110 For Sale / Land Rover Launches Land Rover Defender Works V8 To Celebrate 70th Anniversary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by ivoryhouse(m): 10:24pm On Jul 29, 2018
Hello guys, I have a 2002 Land Rover Defender TD5 110 that I have been commissioned to restore. This beauty was bought brand new, custom built by Land Rover in 2002. The engine has been Kazeemized, sensors are not working, it runs but doesn't quite drive and it's got corrosion in all the regular places. I will upgrade the suspension, add some interior upgrades like USB sockets, alpine amp, digital woofer & speakers, acoustic matting systems for the Transmission tunnel&rear load bed, full sound proofing kit(with engine blanket, ceiling, bonnet and doors), upholstery works, MUD seat rails, brand new wheel and tire package(sawtooth anthracite et20&BF Goodrich T/A KO2 all terrains), Hub centric wheel spacers, upgraded spare tire carrier, upgraded rear windows(this eliminates the rattles), led lights, upgraded braking system, upgraded air conditioning from RoversNorth, Hi-Lift Xtreme 60" Jack, the list goes on and on smiley. We will also rebuild the engine and transmission.
The plan was to import all the parts, then carry out the work right here in Nigeria. However, my client requested I get a repair shop in the UK to handle the project as it'll be cheaper to ship the Defender to the UK than import the parts to Nigeria. I'm asking Nairalanders based in the UK who can handle this project to kindly call or send WhatsApp messages to 09099642894. I can have the parts shipped out to wherever or if you'd rather just give a quote for the entire project then that too may be just fine.
Here are the pictures of the car and the look we want for it

2 Likes

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by ivoryhouse(m): 10:27pm On Jul 29, 2018
more pictures

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by ivoryhouse(m): 10:35pm On Jul 29, 2018
more pictures..

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by nurey(m): 8:53am On Jul 30, 2018
I hope you will eventually carry us along not all this half job restoration. Try to make a list of those things nairaland has packed them together, so atleast you can thickoff as completed when done

Also no derailing of this thread, una know una self.

cc egunmogaji

4 Likes

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 30, 2018
While I wish you the very best but the probability of this getting done is minus zero.

3 Likes

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by AutoElectNG: 9:43am On Jul 30, 2018
Better get in done here...I can work with you...if your client has deep enough pockets to want this shipped to the UK, let's work together on this and split the profits

I recently had cause to work with another tech on a similar vehicle

Although I found the solution to his problem, he refused to pay me for it, that gave me quite an insight into these beautiful vehicles.

I disagree that the cost of importing the parts is costlier than shipping the entire vehicle to the UK.

Can we talk on WhatsApp?

1 Like

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by nurey(m): 10:48am On Jul 30, 2018
[quote ivoryhouse [/quote]

so you are saying it is cheaper to take the vehicle to UK and fix it rather than import parts here? If it is so to me it is penny wise pound foolish

1. You will pay custom duty 4 times, 2 for naija leaving and coming, 2 also for UK entering and leaving

2. shipping fee paid twice

3. Cost of labour in UK is expensive than Nigeria

4. Let's say you get a free garage to work from are you also going to ship your tools too or you buy/rent new ones.

incase you are bent on taking the car to UK abeg you will assist me by allowing me to follow as the conductor/map reader, make I just use that chance escape change wey dey naija. grin

9 Likes

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by asamwababy: 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2018
[quote author=nurey post=69826900][/quote]

Point no 1 is not too correct.

As long as they can trace or have evidence of the initial duty paid then there will be no need to pay duty on this vehicle when shipped back.

All they need to do is establish a ncx form before shipping vehicle out of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by nurey(m): 8:00pm On Jul 30, 2018
asamwababy:

Point no 1 is not too correct.

As long as they can trace or have evidence of the initial duty paid then there will be no need to pay duty on this vehicle when shipped back.

All they need to do is establish a ncx form before shipping vehicle out of Nigeria

I don't know the exact name of the duty that's why I said custom duty since that's what custom collects for anything leaving the shores of nigeria. That car will not roll onto the ship freely, custom go collect, quarantine go collect etc etc.

The UK customs too will collect charges for allowing it into their country and when it's about to depart too.

1 Like

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by ivoryhouse(m): 3:02pm On Aug 01, 2018
EgunMogaji:
While I wish you the very best but the probability of this getting done is minus zero.
If you say so..thanks for the good wishes
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by ivoryhouse(m): 3:04pm On Aug 01, 2018
nurey:
I hope you will eventually carry us along not all this half job restoration. Try to make a list of those things nairaland has packed them together, so atleast you can thickoff as completed when done

Also no derailing of this thread, una know una self.

cc egunmogaji
I actually have a list which I'll publish here when the time comes. This is actually not my first defender project but it's the most complete overhaul yet...I'll give you guys updates as soon as I get feedback from the customs office
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by ivoryhouse(m): 3:27pm On Aug 01, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Better get in done here...I can work with you...if your client has deep enough pockets to want this shipped to the UK, let's work together on this and split the profits

I recently had cause to work with another tech on a similar vehicle

Although I found the solution to his problem, he refused to pay me for it, that gave me quite an insight into these beautiful vehicles.

I disagree that the cost of importing the parts is costlier than shipping the entire vehicle to the UK.

Can we talk on WhatsApp?
That will be really great, thanks for the offer..09099642894 is my whattsapp number
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by ivoryhouse(m): 3:30pm On Aug 01, 2018
My client shipped a car from Nigeria to the USA and says he paid $300 for the shipping and that its duty free to Nigeria so long as its been registered here. Do you know that those shipping containers are returned to their respective countries, empty from Nigeria?
Anyways, I have reached out to customs, here in Lagos and I'm expecting their feedback.
I'll let you guys know what they say. Thanks for the headsup though, it's appreciated

1 Like

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by ivoryhouse(m): 3:31pm On Aug 01, 2018

And as per the conductor part, no wahala, so long as you roger me well well cool
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by ivoryhouse(m): 3:33pm On Aug 01, 2018
Let anyone that knows a good garage in the UK that can handle this project kindly give me a referral..I know some of us here have shops in the UK..kindly reach out..09099642894 is my WhatsApp contact
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by radautoworks: 5:36pm On Aug 05, 2018
If the project can wait till middle of September my husband will do it. He doesn't want to take it in now because he's coming to join me for the birth of our baby for a month.

He's done stuff like this on classics before and it will definitely be cheaper to do here.

1 Like

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by Jakumo(m): 5:56pm On Aug 05, 2018
nurey:

I don't know the exact name of the duty that's why I said custom duty since that's what custom collects for anything leaving the shores of nigeria. That car will not roll onto the ship freely, custom go collect, quarantine go collect etc etc.

The UK customs too will collect charges for allowing it into their country and when it's about to depart too.

Oga Nurey please forgive my going off on a tangent here, but are you seriously saying that a car can be shipped from Nigeria to the USA with NO worries about theft and damage en-route ?

I find this so hard to believe, yet I am curious enough to seek more details from you, if you would be so kind.

Specifically, how much would it cost IN TOTAL, to ship a car SECURELY in a container to the USA West Coast, starting out from Lagos.

Secondly can you please confirm that you have actually seen this feat performed RECENTLY.

Finally, how long would it take for a car in such a container to reach the USA West Coast, once the ship has departed Lagos.

I am all ears as I await the message from the Oracle.

1 Like

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by Jakumo(m): 6:04pm On Aug 05, 2018
ivoryhouse:
Hello guys, I have a 2002 Land Rover Defender TD5 110 that I have been commissioned to restore. This beauty was bought brand new, custom built by Land Rover in 2002. The engine has been Kazeemized, sensors are not working, it runs but doesn't quite drive and it's got corrosion in all the regular places. I will upgrade the suspension, add some interior upgrades like USB sockets, alpine amp, digital woofer & speakers, acoustic matting systems for the Transmission tunnel&rear load bed, full sound proofing kit(with engine blanket, ceiling, bonnet and doors), upholstery works, MUD seat rails, brand new wheel and tire package(sawtooth anthracite et20&BF Goodrich T/A KO2 all terrains), Hub centric wheel spacers, upgraded spare tire carrier, upgraded rear windows(this eliminates the rattles), led lights, upgraded braking system, upgraded air conditioning from RoversNorth, Hi-Lift Xtreme 60" Jack, the list goes on and on smiley. We will also rebuild the engine and transmission.
The plan was to import all the parts, then carry out the work right here in Nigeria. However, my client requested I get a repair shop in the UK to handle the project as it'll be cheaper to ship the Defender to the UK than import the parts to Nigeria. I'm asking Nairalanders based in the UK who can handle this project to kindly call or send WhatsApp messages to 09099642894. I can have the parts shipped out to wherever or if you'd rather just give a quote for the entire project then that too may be just fine.
Here are the pictures of the car and the look we want for it

Ivory House, if you are as wealthy as your story suggests, why bother restoring a Landrover by having it make a round trip to the UK at great cost, when you could simply buy a similar vehicle cheaper in Germany, with the steering wheel location compatible with Nigerian roads ?

Surely even a wealthy man would appreciate saving a few thousand quid, and saving time, in a project such as this one.

3 Likes

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by nurey(m): 6:07pm On Aug 05, 2018
Jakumo:

Oga Nurey please forgive my going off on a tangent here, but are you seriously saying that a car can be shipped from Nigeria to the USA with NO worries about theft and damage en-route ?

I find this so hard to believe, yet I am curious enough to seek more details from you, if you would be so kind.

Specifically, how much would it cost IN TOTAL, to ship a car SECURELY in a container to the USA West Coast, starting out from Lagos.

Secondly can you please confirm that you have actually seen this feat performed RECENTLY.

Finally, how long would it take for a car in such a container to reach the USA West Coast, once the ship has departed Lagos.

I am all ears as I await the message from the Oracle.

yes a car can be shipped from Nigeria to USA without damage. if you containerised it, it would be more secure. If it is RORO, depends on the monitoring given as if you will follow the car along, it won't get vandalised at the port nor in the cargo bay. Most of the theft happens in nigeria holding area.

I can't give a face value of the shipping cost as I have never shipped stuff out of nigeria, I only have a working idea of agricultural produce (snail) that's what my father inlaw ships abroad

you should be looking at maximum 4weeks from naija to US.

you can ask about the fee from sheffyutd,
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by Jakumo(m): 6:12pm On Aug 05, 2018
nurey:

yes a car can be shipped from Nigeria to USA without damage. if you containerised it, it would be more secure. If it is RORO, depends on the monitoring given as if you will follow the car along, it won't get vandalised at the port nor in the cargo bay. Most of the theft happens in nigeria holding area.

I can't give a face value of the shipping cost as I have never shipped stuff out of nigeria, I only have a working idea of agricultural produce (snail) that's what my father inlaw ships abroad

Much thanks for this fast reply Oga Nurey. Of course I would only ever ship a car through Lagos in a container, so it is not torn to pieces at Lagos wharf by the big rats there.

I will look up the Nairaland name SheffyUTD to find out more. Much obliged sir.
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by nurey(m): 6:28pm On Aug 05, 2018
Jakumo:

Much thanks for this fast reply Oga Nurey. Of course I would only ever ship a car through Lagos in a container, so it is not torn to pieces at Lagos wharf by the big rats there.

I will look up the Nairaland name SheffyUTD to find out more. Much obliged sir.

https://www.nairaland.com/saintjoel

Also this guy, due diligence when dealing please grin
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by Jakumo(m): 6:57pm On Aug 05, 2018
nurey:

https://www.nairaland.com/saintjoel

Also this guy, due diligence when dealing please grin

Thanks also for this second contact. Nothing serious planned right now, but I am certainly curious to hear from anyone who has ever sent a car SAFELY and with no parts losses or damage, from Nigeria to the USA.

Due diligence for sure. Were I ever to make contact with any person advertising anything online in Nigeria, I would enlist at least two levels of intermediates to test the water, without any trace back to me until I am dead sure my head won't wind up for sale at 20 naira in Jankara market, as my reward for embarking on a risky money-miss-road venture.
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by sheffyUTD(m): 9:17pm On Aug 05, 2018
nurey:

Much thanks sir
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by ivoryhouse(m): 12:25am On Aug 12, 2018
Jakumo:

Ivory House, if you are as wealthy as your story suggests, why bother restoring a Landrover by having it make a round trip to the UK at great cost, when you could simply buy a similar vehicle cheaper in Germany, with the steering wheel location compatible with Nigerian roads ?

Surely even a wealthy man would appreciate saving a few thousand quid, and saving time, in a project such as this one.
well, for one, it's not my car. I'm restoring for a client.
Why would anyone buy a brand new customized land rover defender in 2002 with about 100k miles only to sell it off in 2018 and buy a used landy? Anyways, watch this space as there will be a lot of activity in the near future. wink

1 Like

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by ivoryhouse(m): 12:48am On Aug 12, 2018
So i have been making inquiries and comparing notes. Here are my findings:
1)Grimaldi is the only shipping line that sails directly from the Uk to Nigeria. Provision of truck to load container for stuffing vehicle outside the Ports premises. (2)Cost of processing, larshing vehicle in rhe container and Agency charge. (3) Freight rate to be given to us by the shipping Company shortly. Port of discharge,Tilbury Port, UK. 4)Duty on the upgrades, this will be calculated after the work has been concluded on the said car. (5)The consignee will provide cost of transportation of trucking.

The aim of shipping the landy to the UK is to save costs, that aim is defeated. We won't be exporting this landy. A seasoned enthusiast has agreed to collaborate with my team on this project.

Watch this space cool cool

3 Likes

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by Jakumo(m): 6:14am On Aug 12, 2018
ivoryhouse:
1)Grimaldi is the only shipping line that sails directly from the Uk to Nigeria. Provision of truck to load container for stuffing vehicle outside the Ports premises. (2)Cost of processing, larshing vehicle in rhe container and Agency charge. (3) Freight rate to be given to us by the shipping Company shortly. Port of discharge,Tilbury Port, UK. 4)Duty on the upgrades, this will be calculated after the work has been concluded on the said car. (5)The consignee will provide cost of transportation of trucking.

The aim of shipping the landy to the UK is to save costs, that aim is defeated. We won't be exporting this landy. A seasoned enthusiast has agreed to collaborate with my team on this project.

Common sense has indeed prevailed. Thanks be to Ogun, the God of Iron, for this return to reality.

To appease Almighty Ogun, the OP will now need to acquire and sacrifice a large mongrel dog, in the appropriate fashion.

Thank you for your cooperation.

5 Likes

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by nurey(m): 7:07am On Aug 12, 2018
ivoryhouse:

Finally you have decided not to take food from Nigerians mouth. Now let me call baba tawa and bro morufu they are very good at removing thermostat and running fan direct, they will be happy to join the team. Where is the car location let them start coming grin

5 Likes

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 12, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Cough..ahem.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7487001_201810273220_jpege7cca45d7a47a10645b71f4f79903052
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by Marpol: 8:23am On Aug 12, 2018

I don't think he will pay duty. It's called repair and return by customs.
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by Jakumo(m): 9:04am On Aug 12, 2018
nurey:

Finally you have decided not to take food from Nigerians mouth. Now let me call baba tawa and bro morufu they are very good at removing thermostat and running fan direct, they will be happy to join the team. Where is the car location let them start coming grin

In case the OP changes his mind again, and decides to send the Landrover ABROAD for refurbishment, Baba Morufu also operates an illegal fly-by-night auto panel-beating shop out of a back-yard in "Little Lagos", conveniently located for esteemed UK customers in Peckham, South London.

Regarding payment terms for this contract, Baba Morufu lives by the following wisdom " In Papa God we trust, all others kindly pay CASH."
Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by weyreypey: 9:08am On Aug 12, 2018
Marpol:

I don't think he will pay duty. It's called repair and return by customs.
Where have you been?

1 Like

Re: Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project by Marpol: 10:09am On Aug 12, 2018
weyreypey:

Where have you been?

Vacation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tips For Extended Tyre Life / Is It Possible To Fix Power Steering Rack? / 10 Tips To Prevent A Pot Hole Disaster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.