Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,205 members, 7,829,311 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application (8141 Views)

Mass Resignation Of Software Engineers Disrupts Banks Digitisation Move / What Made You Pick Interest In Programming / What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by meforyou1(m): 10:10am On Aug 01, 2018
danjumakolo:
Everybody is bringing down the op as if all of u top devs.
It's better you bring out his errors and correct it.
and we shall be known as debuggers

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by meforyou1(m): 10:12am On Aug 01, 2018
Op, if you want to talk about software tests, talk about unit test, system test, stress test and user acceptance test and I will take you serious.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by soleexx(m): 10:12am On Aug 01, 2018
As a Computer Scientists I will say you can only run Test after you might have debugged a program!

Every program built and developed must surely contain errors
Debugging is the processing of removing these error...while Testing is the ability of overall testing of the program to be sure the program is error free...

Gracias

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by Babiboy: 10:13am On Aug 01, 2018
MollyBank:

Debugging is fixing errors NOT detecting errors. Debugging is mostly done by developers while testing can be done by developers and non-developers.

The main goal of debugging is to "detect" which 60% proportion to fixing the error

2 Likes

Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 01, 2018
Babiboy:

The main goal of debugging is to "detect" which 60% proportion to fixing the error

Nope, the main purpose of debugging is to FIX while the main purpose of testing is to DETECT.

C’mon the answer is in their names already.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 01, 2018
soleexx:
As a Computer Scientists I will say you can only run Test after you might have debugged a program!

Every program built and developed must surely contain errors
Debugging is the processing of removing these error...while Testing is the ability of overall testing of the program to be sure the program is error free...

Gracias

Nope!

“Every programme built must contain errors” surely, so how do you know they have errors? By testing, you can do unit testing first, find errors, fix them before assembling the units, and then testing and debugging continue.

Testing is not only testing the overall system, like I said unit testing can be done at low level before high level testing.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by Buffalowings3(m): 10:43am On Aug 01, 2018
MollyBank:

Debugging is fixing errors NOT detecting errors. Debugging is mostly done by developers while testing can be done by developers and non-developers.

Pls know what you're saying Pls

Debugging by developers alone. undecided undecided

Debugging means checking your code line by line to see what the output will loOK like when looking for errors.

When you input a code into an interpreter the output may bring out error either because of
syntax you missing commas, semicolon
Semantic where the output isn't giving you the result you envisage like getting an 8 when you expectEd a 9
Or crashing....

Anybody can debug.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by MollyBank: 10:49am On Aug 01, 2018
Buffalowings3:

Debugging means checking your code line by line to see what the output will loOK like when looking for errors.

When you input a code into an interpreter the output may bring out error either because of
Semantic where the output isn't giving you the result you envisage like getting an 8 when you expectEd a 9
Or crashing....

Anybody can debug.

No sir anybody cannot debug!!! So you mean non- developers who don't know what code is can debug? My dear this is one one of the first questions they ask in Software testing interviews. Get it right baby boy, Anybody cannot debug. Lmao.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by Nobody: 10:51am On Aug 01, 2018
Buffalowings3:

Or crashing....

Anybody can debug.

Wrong, anybody cannot debug. You said there checking codes one by one, who check codes? Anybody?

Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 01, 2018
Buffalowings3:

Or crashing....

Anybody can debug.

Wrong, anybody cannot debug. You said there, checking codes line by line, who checks those codes? Anybody? People with no clue what codes mean?

You might wanna go and google and read some articles on software testing and debugging.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by Buffalowings3(m): 10:59am On Aug 01, 2018
ROSYL:

Wrong, anybody cannot debug. You said there, checking codes line by line, who checks those codes? Anybody? People with no clue what codes mean?

You might wanna go and google and read some articles on software testing and debugging.

The interpreter comes with debugger na.
And you can specify the specific line you want to check for error.

Modified
Ok
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 01, 2018
Buffalowings3:

The interpreter comes with debugger na.
And you can specify the specific line you want to check for error.

Modified
Ok

You are funny. Many software testers don’t know what interpreter is, now can they debug? I think it’s time you defined what you mean by anybody.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by soleexx(m): 11:07am On Aug 01, 2018
ROSYL:

Nope!

“Every programme built must contain errors” surely, so how do you know they have errors? By testing, you can do unit testing first, find errors, fix them before assembling the units, and then testing and debugging continue.

Testing is not only testing the overall system, like I said unit testing can be done at low level before high level testing.

modulation of programs software!

definitely unit test is very important!
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by sainttobs(m): 11:12am On Aug 01, 2018
I have been programming a long while now and I can tell you confidently that this article was not written by a programmer. SMH. cry

2 Likes

Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by donb06: 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2018
OP!!! I understand what ure trying to bring out.... but I must say poor presentation and choice of words.... dont feel bad you can do better... Just Move on................YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by kaypompee: 12:25pm On Aug 01, 2018
Buffalowings3:

Or crashing....

Anybody can debug.

Anybody can debug Ah. Wahala dey o grin
In this age of emphasis on clean and well formatted code to ease maintenance by developers, you're now saying a non developer can debug??
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by Buffalowings3(m): 12:32pm On Aug 01, 2018
ROSYL:

You are funny. Many software testers don’t know what interpreter is, now can they debug? I think it’s time you defined what you mean by anybody.
kaypompee:

Anybody can debug Ah. Wahala dey o grin
In this age of emphasis on clean and well formatted code to ease maintenance by developers, you're now saying a non developer can debug??

The concept of debugging is a thing every new programmer is familiar with.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 01, 2018
Buffalowings3:

The concept of debugging is a thing every new programmer is familiar with.

It boils down to what I said, not everyone can debug. Debugging is mainly done by programmers, but my friend said everybody can debug.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by engrMikemd(m): 1:01pm On Aug 01, 2018
AntiWailer:
It is a very sad day for the Software profession.

This is a very silly and dumb write up.

bugs are debuggers ? are you ok ?

What testing is locating loop ? Do you know you can be prosecuted for this ?

Too many rubbish in 1 sentence.

What are you comparing in DEBUGGING and TESTING ?

MOD please bring down this post. How did this get to the front page ?
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by engrMikemd(m): 1:02pm On Aug 01, 2018
AntiWailer:

I wonder o
that is the result of foolish copying and pasting
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by chukzyfcbb: 2:11pm On Aug 01, 2018
MollyBank:

No sir anybody cannot debug!!! So you mean non- developers who don't know what code is can debug? My dear this is one one of the first questions they ask in Software testing interviews. Get it right baby boy, Anybody cannot debug. Lmao.
This isn't so true. Network engineers use The Debug command in their routers or switches CLI to get a live feed of the network operation. That way you can observe whats going on in real time and be able to trace problems if need be. So not only software developers use debugging, Network engineers do too and they are not developers.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by MollyBank: 2:34pm On Aug 01, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

This isn't so true. Network engineers use The Debug command in their routers or switches CLI to get a live feed of the network operation. That way you can observe whats going on in real time and be able to trace problems if need be. So not only software developers use debugging, Network engineers do too and they are not developers.

I think comprehension is the problem here. I said not everybody can debug! I'm into IT world but don't know a jack about debugging. That's my argument. Debugging of software is mainly done by developers/programmers, and that doesn't mean non-programmers can't debug. It's simple.

I'm done with this argument, it gives me headache abeg.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 01, 2018
MollyBank:

I think comprehension is the problem here. I said not everybody can debug! I'm into IT world but don't know a jack about debugging. That's my argument. Debugging of software is mainly done by developers/programmers, and that doesn't mean non-programmers can't debug. It's simple.

That’s right! I’m a QA analyst, software tester Precisely, working in a scrum team. I didn’t know anything about debugging till I started programming. Our job is to write test cases, identify bugs, log them and pass them on to developers to fix.

Like you said, not everybody including techie can debug.
In fact it was one of my interview questions.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by chukzyfcbb: 6:32pm On Aug 01, 2018
MollyBank:

well you just explained what was lacking formerly.

DEBUGGING OF A SOFTWARE, can only be done by programmers.

however don't say that programmers are the only ones who debug, rather say that software debugging is done by programmers to make it understandable.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by MollyBank: 8:31am On Aug 02, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

well you just explained what was lacking formerly.

DEBUGGING OF A SOFTWARE, can only be done by programmers.

however don't say that programmers are the only ones who debug, rather say that software debugging is done by programmers to make it understandable.

How about you show me where i said debugging is ONLY done by programmers?
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by sparkle6(m): 11:57am On Aug 02, 2018
you tried but understand a topic well before making lectures.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by PcashMojo(m): 3:13pm On Aug 03, 2018
soccerepe:
Debugging in Programming is A Process of extracting Errors from an Application Software, But Testing is a Process of Clarifying that an Application Is Working as Intended.

In Programming Testing is Very Complicated and Difficult, Testing is Not only about Clarifying that an Application Software Works as Intended.
During Projects That are Large, Testing Can be separated into Many kinds, This different Kinds Jointly have Distinct Goals.

Now, During Projects that are smaller, Debugging and Testing Can be Done Concurrently.
The Purpose of Testing in Programming of Application Software is to Locate Loop. Testing in Programming is also Aimed to Clarify that a Particular Software has Achieved its Function and Reasons of Making During a Particular Level.

The Level in Testing is always Advocated at 100% or Lower Since Achieving the Test is Uncharacteristily Not Difficult to Achieve.
In Programming of Application Software, Testing is Always Done Manually, While on Big Projects It is always Automated.

Now Debugging In Programming of Application software. Debugging is mostly Used to Locate Loops and Bugs in a Software Application.

The Process of Debugging in Programming is manually Done. Debugging is also Done Once for Every Bug Detected.
Bug Sometimes Is what Differentiates the Job of Software from What it is Primarily Set to Do and What it is Programmed to Do.

In any way, it is logical, Debugging of Software Application is set at a Specialized Program. This specialized Program Locate Bugs. Bugs Located are referred as Debuggers.

OP you have missed fired as a result of your weeding diet,you will have to rewrite your thesis again for defense,go back and learn UAT(User Acceptance testing) first before you will stand in this arena to speak on this topic...don't speak about what you don't know about.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by PcashMojo(m): 3:45pm On Aug 03, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

What do you mean by debug command in routers or switches CLI?Do you know network administrators troubleshoot the network using command line language?you can't just open powershell without knowing powershell commands for network admin,go and learn powershell commands for network administration,maybe you are talking about the web interface the router settings,I guess.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by chukzyfcbb: 4:13pm On Aug 03, 2018
PcashMojo:

What do you mean by debug command in routers or switches CLI?Do you know network administrators troubleshoot the network using command line language?you can't just open powershell without knowing powershell commands for network admin,go and learn powershell commands for network administration,maybe you are talking about the web interface the router settings,I guess.
Lool

This comments shows you are not a network admin. You don't even know the full meaning of CLI, otherwise you would have deleted that sentence command line.

Debugging command is the 7th level of a syslog command, its used sparingly because you can overload your device with numerous processes..

If you don't know that the debug command is used in Networking, then You are either a baby network admin or you are just ignorant
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by PcashMojo(m): 4:36pm On Aug 03, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

Lool

This comments shows you are not a network admin. You don't even know the full meaning of CLI, otherwise you would have deleted that sentence command line.

Debugging command is the 7th level of a syslog command, its used sparingly because you can overload your device with numerous processes..

If you don't know that the debug command is used in Networking, then You are either a baby network admin or you are just ignorant

Mr.too know I asked you a question and you acting like a verbose app,what prevent you from saying Command Line Interface,do I know If you did copy and paste,go learn CLI Command Modes before you start forming local champion here.
CLI Command Hierarchy
EXEC Mode Commands
Configuration Mode Commands

Then maybe you I can reason in a term you might understand.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by chukzyfcbb: 5:23pm On Aug 03, 2018
PcashMojo:

Mr.too know I asked you a question and you acting like a verbose app,what prevent you from saying Command Line Interface,do I know If you did copy and paste,go learn CLI Command Modes before you start forming local champion here.
CLI Command Hierarchy
EXEC Mode Commands
Configuration Mode Commands

Then maybe you I can reason in a term you might understand.
CLI modes? lol.

Oga abeg Goodnight o, nah vex.
Re: Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application by HDee(m): 6:26pm On Aug 04, 2018
AntiWailer:

Prolly moved to FP by another dumb Mod.

Total disgrace to the discipline of software engineering. angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Running Python Codes In Php / Common Error In Laravel #1:solved File_put_contents Failed To Open Stream / Nairaland Homepage Concept UI.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.