Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,546 members, 7,816,327 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick (10409 Views)

What Is Your Favourite Nigerian Street Food? (pictures) / Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit / Abacha Food: How To Prepare Abacha|african Salad Recipe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by Revolva(m): 11:59pm On Aug 01, 2018
Street food can be very cheap and delicious, however, some persons avoid it like a plague because they fear that it will make them sick. Do you know that you can still savour and enjoy without falling sick? i  discuss ways you can do this.

*Eat as the locals do

If you’re on the hunt for some tasty street eats then first have a look around to see where the locals are eating. If there’s a huge crowd around a particular spot, you will know for sure that the food will be great. The locals know which stalls are safe and where you can find the most delicious food. Always avoid the stalls with no queue and no customers.

*Only eat what is made in front of you

There are generally two types of food stalls; the ones where the food is already prepared and waiting for you, or the ones where it is cooked right in front of you. Always choose what is cooked right in front of you. That way you know it’s fresh and therefore less likely to be contaminated and full of bacteria, especially in hot and humid destinations.

*Follow the crowds

When it comes to street food, you have to follow the bandwagon. If you see a big line up for a certain street vendor- join it. Especially if the lineup is mostly locals. It’s pretty much a guarantee that whatever is being served is fresh, safe, and tasty.

*Bring your own utensils and sanitizer

It’s also a good idea to bring your own set of utensils so that you do not have to use the ones every other person have used. Just endeavour to thoroughly wash and clean them. If this isn’t possible, then carry some antibacterial wipes to clean down the stall or restaurant utensils before using them.

*If it doesn't taste right, don't continue

When it comes to food, it does not taste right, you should desist from eating it. Don't just eat because it smells good, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not going to be harmful. Food could appear on the surface to be perfectly fine and still be riddled with illness-causing bacteria.

7 Likes

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by alenwup(m): 5:20am On Aug 02, 2018
What do I even take out of this? Where crowd is much does not necessarily mean the food is good o. I could remember years back when my boss used to send me from Ikoyi to buy food from one popular street seller beside Ghana High Commission, Onikan. As young as I was then, I strongly believed there was something else in the woman's food. You'd need to see the calibre of people that would queue with plates in hand to buy food. The woman is Egun. Me I fear o. Let's somebody tell me this is FTC. Wow

15 Likes

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by tpman206: 5:21am On Aug 02, 2018
This one weak me

1 Like

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by asdfjklhaha(f): 5:28am On Aug 02, 2018
OK
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by agarawu23(m): 5:29am On Aug 02, 2018
Cook at home
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by israelmao(m): 5:34am On Aug 02, 2018
Calabar food is always right anywhere,anyday and everytime.

5 Likes

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by OrangeOlamide: 5:37am On Aug 02, 2018

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by OrangeOlamide: 5:40am On Aug 02, 2018
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by moscobabs(m): 5:49am On Aug 02, 2018
Op these are not for Lagosians o, we eat anywhere even we men on suits eat beside the road, as im posting this I dey under bridge Oshodi with 4 of my colleagues eating rice and beans while waiting for our official bus. Even though we know the rice seller cook from Ajegunle slum . Have you heard that any Lagosian die of food poisoning before?

Anything goes in Lagos

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by joshrare(m): 6:00am On Aug 02, 2018
israelmao:
Calabar food is always right anywhere,any day.
not really, this woman besides my office doesn't know anything about cooking. She's the worst calabar woman I've ever seen
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by Nobody: 6:02am On Aug 02, 2018
Some of your points no gather o. Op.
Eat what’s made in front of you bawo?
Even big restaurant food is not made in front of you. Lol

7 Likes

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by Tomiwaa(m): 6:11am On Aug 02, 2018
moscobabs:
Op these are not for Lagosians o, we eat anywhere even we men on suits eat beside the road, as im posting this I dey under bridge Oshodi with 4 of my colleagues eating rice and beans while waiting for our official bus. Even though we know the rice seller cook from Ajegunle slum . Have you heard that any Lagosian die of food poisoning before?

Anything goes in Lagos
lol. MVPs

2 Likes

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by Originalsly: 6:19am On Aug 02, 2018
What? ?.... clean utensils with anti bacterial wipes?? shocked Wow!...I guess later on you would blame the food for your food poisoning.

3 Likes

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by kaykaymcb(m): 6:31am On Aug 02, 2018
Person wey wan sick go still sick...This highest thing I can get from this is running stomach embarassed ....My logo designs are off the hook!....Click my link in signature for proof
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by Valfrankie(m): 6:31am On Aug 02, 2018
Nice post, but your points are flawed. Huge crowds at a food stall doesn't necessarily guarantee safty, it could also be the power of a very potent juju employed by the seller. The sellers with no customers might actually be the ones with the delicious, tasty meal but don't indulge in diabolic practices to drive customers. Follow your instincts when buying food. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by chronique(m): 6:32am On Aug 02, 2018
Never! Nehi nogasin(never in Indian). I have discovered that shit ain't for everybody. I remember several years ago at a place in gbaja, Surulere where we went to eat. I told my friends I wasn't going to eat but they started talking about me always forming butty and pointing at big men that had parked their cars just to come eat at that place... After much talk, I reasoned with them and ordered my plate of food and ate. It didn't take too long for my stomach to start acting funny. I was able to manage to hold up and when I got home, I started stooling seriously. I'd known my body was going to react to it but I tried to be humble like my friends preached to me and my humility landed me in toilet. Couple of months ago too, I went out with about 8 of my colleagues. They started talking about how I don't eat out and out of embarrassment(i don't like when I'm in a place where most of the people are street/rugged folks and people start trying to call me butty or talk in a way that tends to give hint about my family background...) of not wanting people to start sizing me up, I ordered what they were eating too, just to blend in despite knowing it was trouble... It wasn't up to 15mins after eating, I started feeling nauseous and wanted to throw up. I kept suppressing it and as soon as we got to the gate of my friend's office, I dashed out from the car to look for tomtom and I bought 200 naira worth of tomtom and started chewing it. My friend noticed and was laughing. I don't know what it is but I think there's something they use in cooking in all these local bukas that makes some people fall sick after eating. Maybe it's the ajinomoto/vedan seasoning. But whatever it is, if you understand your body system and you know you are likely going to fall sick after eating, pls avoid it. Look for biscuits and snacks to eat if you can't afford the food of a decent eatery or restaurant where the food is a bit pricey but neat and standard. Not everyone's body system can adjust to any kind of food cooked anywhere. Know your body system and treat it properly.

8 Likes

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by gift01: 6:53am On Aug 02, 2018
Agbo #50 is all you need to avoid the food sickness. You can wack anywhere as long as you have your assurance
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by masada: 7:03am On Aug 02, 2018
it’s on fp already
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by MrSmith007: 7:08am On Aug 02, 2018
israelmao:
Calabar food is always right anywhere,any day.
Bros fear God.

1 Like

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by PrymChois: 7:15am On Aug 02, 2018
Follow the crowd.

That's my password.
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by IMASTEX: 7:24am On Aug 02, 2018
You can't be too careful in eating out. Eating out is one thing I dislike. Yet I occasionally engage in it due to my activities.

You're what you eat. .See profile to know natural intake that will greatly improve your bed performance as a man.

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by Centcanada: 7:25am On Aug 02, 2018
Following crowd is what I hate most in life.
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by LordOrochimaru(m): 7:28am On Aug 02, 2018
Generally, following the crowd helps. What helps even more is asking people of the best spots around. They are ever willing to help with these kind of things

1 Like

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by SporaD8: 8:04am On Aug 02, 2018
alenwup:
What do I even take out of this? Where crowd is much does not necessarily mean the food is good o. I could remember years back when my boss used to send me from Ikoyi to buy food from one popular street seller beside Ghana High Commission, Onikan. As young as I was then, I strongly believed there was something else in the woman's food. You'd need to see the calibre of people that would queue with plates in hand to buy food. The woman is Egun. Me I fear o. Let's somebody tell me this is FTC. Wow
I remember the woman well well. There is nothing special about her food. infact the untidy environment and her slatternly worker is a huge turn-off to me. But the way my colleagues will literally drag me with them to the place during lunch make me really suspicious.
You should have seen the way she will even be telling managers in three piece suit off like a naughty school kid yet they will still find their way there the next day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by Jokerman(m): 8:09am On Aug 02, 2018
so when I wanna chop bread ati ewa, I should remember all these??
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by tete7000(m): 8:53am On Aug 02, 2018
SporaD8:

I remember the woman well well. There is nothing special about her food. infact the untidy environment and her slatternly worker is a huge turn-off to me. But the way my colleagues will literally drag me with them to the place during lunch make me really suspicious.
You should have seen the way she will even be telling managers in three piece suit off like a naughty school kid yet they will still find their way there the next day.

Love for food is some people's weakness.
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by princessyere1(f): 9:55am On Aug 02, 2018
only the last point make sense

1 Like

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by AprokoAlertTV: 10:43am On Aug 02, 2018
Be MINDFUL of what you EAT in PUBLIC....

This is a REAL LIFE SCENARIO!!!

For those working on the Island in VI, Ikoyi and Lekki Phase 1, we know how difficult it can be getting Good Nourishing Meals that is Affordable and Easily Accessible...

What if you help onboard your colleagues and become our Foodie/Star Ambassador in your Corporate Organization...

We will ensure you get FREE Meals for every SALES we DELIVER through your DAILY EFFORTS in your Organization.... Sounds like a FAIR deal right?

Register your Organization if you find of difficult buying Food on the Island in Ikoyi, VI and Lekki Phase 1..
http://www.proconnectfoodhub.com/on-board-your-company/

Thank you.

NB: Kindly share to your Network of Working Professionals.

This message is POWERED by Proconnect Food Hub.

1 Like

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by SAMBARRY: 12:12pm On Aug 02, 2018
chronique:
Never! Nehi nogasin(never in Indian). I have discovered that shit ain't for everybody. I remember several years ago at a place in gbaja, Surulere where we went to eat. I told my friends I wasn't going to eat but they started talking about me always forming butty and pointing at big men that had parked their cars just to come eat at that place... After much talk, I reasoned with them and ordered my plate of food and ate. It didn't take too long for my stomach to start acting funny. I was able to manage to hold up and when I got home, I started stooling seriously. I'd known my body was going to react to it but I tried to be humble like my friends preached to me and my humility landed me in toilet. Couple of months ago too, I went out with about 8 of my colleagues. They started talking about how I don't eat out and out of embarrassment(i don't like when I'm in a place where most of the people are street/rugged folks and people start trying to call me butty or talk in a way that tends to give hint about my family background...) of not wanting people to start sizing me up, I ordered what they were eating too, just to blend in despite knowing it was trouble... It wasn't up to 15mins after eating, I started feeling nauseous and wanted to throw up. I kept suppressing it and as soon as we got to the gate of my friend's office, I dashed out from the car to look for tomtom and I bought 200 naira worth of tomtom and started chewing it. My friend noticed and was laughing. I don't know what it is but I think there's something they use in cooking in all these local bukas that makes some people fall sick after eating. Maybe it's the ajinomoto/vedan seasoning. But whatever it is, if you understand your body system and you know you are likely going to fall sick after eating, pls avoid it. Look for biscuits and snacks to eat if you can't afford the food of a decent eatery or restaurant where the food is a bit pricey but neat and standard. Not everyone's body system can adjust to any kind of food cooked anywhere. Know your body system and treat it properly.
Mshewww so you are still falling for this peer pressure thing when you know na only you go dey toilet when your belle begin to riot and protest. If you don't want to do something don't do it. Why should you please your friends at the expense of your health.

Truth is no be everybody their body dey accept outside food.some eat outside food as a life style. I know of a friend that pays all these local food vendors 10k and come there any time he is hungry till he exhausts his 10k but has never been sick but some will eat outside for the first time and their toilet go hearam. They will have diarrhea instantly

I personally use my own eye to judge where I eat. If it's in an institution setting like a university environment or office environment, it's fine I can eat it because I know their institutions where they sell their food will demand a certain amount of cleanliness from them. But all these street food that have zero care for food hygiene? Never!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 02, 2018
chronique:
eyah, ur system though, i eat street food, the worst i get running stomach. Nothing more.
Re: Street Food: How To Avoid Getting Sick by alenwup(m): 5:57pm On Aug 02, 2018
SporaD8:

Exactly. Very annoying girls all around

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Indomie Noodles Very Safe To Consume - NAFDAC / Nigeria’s Obsession With Rice And The Bottomless Subsidy Pit / Are U Obsessed Or Addicted With INDOMIE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.