Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,197 members, 7,818,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons (59513 Views)

Chiamaka Nnadozie Is The Goalkeeper Of The 2023/2024 Season In France / If You Are The Goalkeeper In This Situation What Will You Do? (photo) / Super Eagles Have Reached The Semi-Finals In 15 Out Of 18 AFCON Appearances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by JayKayMaybachz(m): 10:05am On Aug 05, 2018

On Tuesday, S.L. Benfica's 40-year-old third choice goalkeeper Paulo Lopes announced his retirement from world football. The shot-stopper has managed to collect more trophies and winner's medals than appearances during his time with Águias.

Lopes re-joined Benfica in 2012 and has made 11 appearances across all competitions until his retirement, during that time he scooped up 12 trophies while largely sitting on the bench.

Competition: Year Won: League Title 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Portuguese Cup 2013, 2016 Portuguese League Cup 2013, 2014, 2015 Portuguese Super Cup 2014, 2016, 2017

The 40-year-old finished his youth career and began his senior career at the Portuguese club in the late 90s, early 2000s but could not break into the first team.

After a season at Benfica B in 2001, he moved away from his boyhood club.

He then spent time at several different Portuguese outfits before returning to see out his career.

"This is one of the most difficult moments in a footballer's life when his career comes to an end, but as in everything in life nothing is eternal," he said.

"I've been a 21-year-old football professional, a profession to which I gave myself heart and soul with the clear conscience that I did everything to honour the profession I embraced and dignified myself as a football professional," reported A BOLA.

Lopes will now take charge of coaching the goalkeepers for Benfica's under-23s.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-reactions-funny-meet-the-goalkeeper-who-won-more-trophies-than-appearances-20180803

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by ND1243: 10:14am On Aug 05, 2018
FTC grin

1 Like

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by JayKayMaybachz(m): 10:16am On Aug 05, 2018
ND1243:
FTC grin

You na thief, brov..

Osho free career grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by dominique(f): 10:27am On Aug 05, 2018
No player (or keeper) in this world aspires to be a bench warmer. I'm sure this keeper would have liked to have more appearances than trophies if he had the choice

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by Samusu(m): 10:27am On Aug 05, 2018
So e get person wey worse pass Mendy of City?

13 Likes

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by JayKayMaybachz(m): 10:30am On Aug 05, 2018
dominique:
No player (or keeper) in this world aspires to be a bench warmer. I'm sure this keeper would have liked to have more appearances than trophies if he had the choice

Lol

You are right.. But that was his career path jare. Awoof trophies toh badt, Dominique..

Though he's more fortunate than Lee Grant

2 Likes

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by JayKayMaybachz(m): 10:30am On Aug 05, 2018
Samusu:

Mendy dey peep for wia dis wan dey. Atleast Mendy featured well for AS Monaco

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by ManBeast: 10:39am On Aug 05, 2018
1 appearance per season, man united should sign him up nah.

Or

Arsenal

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by adewumiopeyemi(m): 11:12am On Aug 05, 2018
Nice one.. cool cool
Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by andrew444(m): 8:38pm On Aug 05, 2018
Samusu:

Mendy is a good player,he was bought for almost 60m,he was not bought to warm the bench,it's not his fault that he got a 6 month injury,France still take him to the World Cup because he is good.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by MorataFC: 8:54pm On Aug 05, 2018
dominique:
That is God's blessing, there are better keepers than him but haven't yet secured a well paid job.

Small input but many manifolds output grin

1 Like

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by classicfrank4u(m): 9:36pm On Aug 05, 2018
lol,more trophies,dan appearance pcheesy

1 Like

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by seuncyber(m): 9:39pm On Aug 05, 2018
Ok
Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by miteolu(m): 9:39pm On Aug 05, 2018
Bench warmer trophy. Congratulations

2 Likes

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by Sweetcollins: 9:40pm On Aug 05, 2018
Nice one
Anything wey do am for you
Plz tell am say one loyal person dey dis end

1 Like

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by Bifrost: 9:40pm On Aug 05, 2018
Being a 3rd choice goalkeeper should be listed as the easiest job on the planet.

9 Likes

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by Opinionated: 9:42pm On Aug 05, 2018
This is hilarious
Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by ipobarethieves: 9:42pm On Aug 05, 2018
sad Chelsea go sack Sarri at the end of dis season.

1 Like

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by johnstar(m): 9:42pm On Aug 05, 2018
Ok
Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by Hector09(m): 9:43pm On Aug 05, 2018
Remind me of jones former liverpool no 1, that dude use seat belt sit down for bench

9 Likes

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by DavidAverlon35(m): 9:43pm On Aug 05, 2018
Abeg dis guy deserves an accolade
Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by phemmyfour: 9:45pm On Aug 05, 2018
dominique:
He was never good enough for both club and Country
Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by Rexnegro(m): 9:45pm On Aug 05, 2018
really? what a great bench warmer
Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by StarUp: 9:46pm On Aug 05, 2018
The guy bumbum go don hard because of benching grin
Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by Jeezuzpick(m): 9:49pm On Aug 05, 2018
Good for him.

If na Arsenal e dey now, eeeeehn......
Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by Dutchey(m): 9:50pm On Aug 05, 2018
success without labour

2 Likes

Re: Paulo Lopes: The Goalkeeper Who Won More Trophies Than Appearances In 13 Seasons by Topshow4real: 9:54pm On Aug 05, 2018
I wonder why topics about Sowore and his presidential ambition are not making front page, just wondering. . .

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Falconets Played Japan Without Underwear" - Brila FM / Cristiano Ronaldo And Neymar Storm Boxing Ring, Go Head To Head (photos) / Mikel, Neymar, Ronaldo & Iniesta Welcome Teams To Russia (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.