Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:00 AM

Are You A Martial Artist? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Are You A Martial Artist? (3205 Views)

Bruce Lee Was Truly A Martial Arts Legend / Martial Artist-taekwondo,karate,judo,kung Fu,akido,westlers,boxers,... / Promoting Mixed Martial Arts In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You A Martial Artist? by carpenter(m): 9:21am On Mar 29, 2007
I practice Shitoryu Karate and My school 'Kishikan Ryu Martial Arts College' is located @ Total Staff Club Onipan, Lagos. I would like to meet other martial artists in nairaland. I have been in the art for three years now and I am having fun.
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by galatico(m): 7:12pm On Mar 30, 2007
Hi whats up am a great fan of Martial Artist though am not practising the act but would definately love to practice could you help me out
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by carpenter(m): 11:20am On Apr 03, 2007
Sure! You can come to Total Filling Station Staff Club (Onipan along Ikorodu road) on any Saturday (except environmental days) by 9am-12pm. I hope you are in Lagos?if u require more infomation, kindly post it here
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by iice(f): 3:56pm On Apr 09, 2007
Am a fan but i haven't had any training, everytime i decide to go take lessons, something always comes up. Nwayz, am really in like grin with Tai Chi but no time to learn sad
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by carpenter(m): 8:39am On Apr 10, 2007
@iice

I agree, time is really an issue even for those already practising. I have to miss trainings sometimes when my schedule is tight and at times, i just want to lazy around or visit a friend. The love for the art has kept me going. I love Tai chi Chuan too but it is challenging enough with one art not to talk of two. In the style of Karate I learn, there are over 60 Katas (forms), that alone takes a lifetime to learn and there are still Sparring techniques that have to be learnt. I would encourage you to vist a school, train with them for a while and then see how things will unfold.
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by tianshie(m): 8:41pm On Apr 10, 2007
I did Shotokan karate in school but couldn't keep up after I left school,tried practising every saturday but soon got tired,then I stopped stretching everyday and today I only do sit ups and push ups. Got to purple belt,I still throw kicks every once though.

Would love to hook up.
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by iice(f): 12:07am On Apr 11, 2007
@Carpenter

Indeed you feel me, the time thing is the crux of the matter. There are schools around, i guess when i get a lil break i take one up as for Tai Chi, the only ones who teach that are the old folks down in Chinatown, so i'l have to settle for something first, that or shooting. undecided
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by mukina2: 12:11am On Apr 11, 2007
iice:

@Carpenter

Indeed you feel me, the time thing is the crux of the matter.  There are schools around, i guess when i get a lil break i take one up as for Tai Chi, the only ones who teach that are the old folks down in Chinatown, so i'l have to settle for something first, that or shooting. undecided

shooting shocked shocked grin
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by alexis(m): 6:56am On Apr 11, 2007
I do shotokan karate - I am under the British martial arts federation of Ghana. I have been practicing for the last 9 months. Prior to that, I am a green belt tawendo holder. I must stress that karate is not only about fighting as most people thing but about discipline, healthy living and commitment. You breathing is very important in karate so is your stance. I also practice shoryuken karate, which is a form of Judo and Aikido; it is a close sport and defensive form of karate, it is mainly about twisting and slamming your opponent.

I intend to branch into Chinese form of martial arts pretty soon, probably Chinese Kempo or Kung Fu. To all sensei's in-house, I say -HOOOSSSSSSSS!!!
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by carpenter(m): 10:00am On Apr 11, 2007
@iice
funny! Shooting! still smiling, dont mind that either, its just that the Nigerian Police is a no go area for me. Thats about the only place i could learn to shoot for free.

@ mukina2
nice to have you here

@alexis
Good for you. You have a very good school there, nothing like that exist here. In fact when you tell a lot of people that you practise karate, the only thing that comes to their mind it that you are a violent person. So much for The Giant of Africa. I have friends practising Shotokan and it was my first contact with any karate style. Hosssss

@tianshie
Sure why not. I have a second bar Purple too. Havnt graded in more than a year and a half now(Work,school and other things I want to do with my life).
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by carpenter(m): 10:06am On Apr 11, 2007
@Mukina2
Read ur posts a lot. Some scary and some really nice. We have something in common!

I am a Gunner
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by junegirl(f): 12:11pm On Apr 11, 2007
I tried to learn when i was in school. Had a friend who was the karate instructor then and she'd started to take me through some routines, but CGPA came along and I had to ask myself, what exactly did my parents send me to school for? Anywayz, I'd really like to take it up again(i kinda have the time now). Prob is, I'm in Abuja. So if you know anywhere I can learn here pls let me know- provided it's not expensive. Or better still, I might just find a good-looking sensei to marry who would naturally teach me at no cost at all, cool whatcha think?
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by mukina2: 12:20pm On Apr 11, 2007
lol . .carpenter cool
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by carpenter(m): 12:27pm On Apr 11, 2007
HAhaha!

@junegirl

Girl I wish u were in Lagos. Although, I am far from being a Sensei I am sure I can still teach a lot. The marriage thing is really interesting and tempting! That's if you wont mind Jet Li for a husband sha O!

Nwayz don't know of any Dojo in Abuja but will ask my sensei and get back to as soon as possible. I am happy to tell that I believe you took the right decision back in school. We have all had to leave things that we enjoy doing to deal with the ones that matter @ that time but nothing says we can't get back to them. I have a kid in me that missed some things back then, i try to make up for those times in the best possible way.
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by carpenter(m): 12:28pm On Apr 11, 2007
@mukina2
well, dont we?
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by iice(f): 2:13pm On Apr 11, 2007
@Carpenter
Yeah i can imagine how scary that is lol.  Actually i wanted to take up shooting long time ago but my mother went hysterical so i dropped that idea, lately its beginning to sound appealing mainly because my bro has been playing war games (not paintball, shooting blanks in the paintball kind of setting) But menh if i had a teacher to teach me Tai Chi, i would be estatic grin
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by Vieira(m): 2:40pm On Apr 11, 2007
I have a black belt in Origami
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by junegirl(f): 3:10pm On Apr 11, 2007
@iice
What's Tai Chi? Is that the most feminine one to learn. Cos I sure don't wanna develop muscles,

@Carpenter
If the Jet Li is handsome, who knows,
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by ibkn(m): 3:26pm On Apr 11, 2007
i have a pal name of dami[ he was called karate kid during mr nigeria organized by silverbird] he is on his second dan in kandoshin school of karate i think.
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by ibkn(m): 3:33pm On Apr 11, 2007
@ vieira
origami i think is the art of making things with paper ie foding paers into shapes and all that, so wats martial in it?
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by Vieira(m): 3:39pm On Apr 11, 2007
LOL!

Have you ever suffered a very bad paper cut?

then you will know it is martial o!
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by carpenter(m): 4:03pm On Apr 11, 2007
@junegirl
I dont look bad and peeps call me Jet Li (they say my forefathers might have been Chinese or Japanese, so are you asking me out? lol

@ Vieira
Once had a friend that showed me something related to that but cant remember what he called it. Men! the guy just folded the magazine he was using for his project and before we knew it he was uncontrollable. Interesting art

@ibkn
you would be surprised @ what is out there. Those folded 'papers' are something else especially when you know where to hit.
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by carpenter(m): 4:05pm On Apr 11, 2007
@junegirl
anybody could practice Tai Chi, , google it!I can assure you, you will still be lady-like
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by software(m): 4:10pm On Apr 11, 2007
carpenter:

@Mukina2
Read your posts a lot. Some scary and some really nice. We have something in common!

I am a Gunner

mukina2:

lol . .carpenter cool

See them again, deceiving themselves, Gunners means FAILIURES,

So better change ur mind carpenter,

As for the Martial art stuff, I beleive in my AK 47 if u try me, i will just blow off ya head with my AK 47

Martial art ko, Kung fu ni
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by carpenter(m): 4:26pm On Apr 11, 2007
@software
Haba! easy man! I bet u cant even handle a rifle as much as I can. hey! we are here to have fun
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by iice(f): 4:49pm On Apr 11, 2007
@junegirl,
Have you seen people moving their legs and arms like in slow-motion? The movements are kindda synchronized and looks effortless. That's Tai Chi. It's said to promote longevity, but don't be deceived, i heard its hard to master (because its about mastering your chi) and requires alot of concentration. I love watching them doing it, its like a slow dance. Kindda has this dream like movement to it.
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by software(m): 4:56pm On Apr 11, 2007
carpenter:

@software
Haba! easy man! I bet u can't even handle a rifle as much as I can. hey! we are here to have fun

Yes we are here to have fun, and my last post was part of the fun grin grin
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by carpenter(m): 5:10pm On Apr 11, 2007
@software
Are u an IT Professional?

@iice and junegirl
Try this site
The guy doesnt send the newsletters regularly but it might help to still register for them and read past editions

http://mmm.cloudwater.com

trying not to post active links: replace mmm with www
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by Brymore(m): 7:18pm On Apr 11, 2007
Hi All,

I love this link, well done Carpenter!
I used to practice Shotokan Karate while in school, school work caught up with me and I could not keep up with trainings.

I still have the interest though and practice a few kicks and punches at home.
@Junegirl, some people normally practice Karate on a basket ball pitch in Area 1 Garki, I'll probably find out more about them and get across to you. I do see them around 5 am in the mornings. Tell me if you are interested.
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by Brymore(m): 7:41pm On Apr 11, 2007
Sorry, I left out the most important part;

Huuuuuusssss Senpai!
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by finemocha(f): 9:50pm On Apr 11, 2007
@viera

hehehehe origami grin. i would love to take up kungfu but i find the outfits not so flattering
Re: Are You A Martial Artist? by Vieira(m): 10:22pm On Apr 11, 2007
@finemocha grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hazard Could Be Kicked Out Of English Football / Saudi Female Athlete Withdraws From Olympics To Avoid Israeli In Next Round / Dstv Not Showing League Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.