Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,741 members, 7,840,862 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Why People Prefer Manual To Automatic Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why People Prefer Manual To Automatic Cars (971 Views)

Has Anyone Ever Converted A Toyota Corolla From Manual To Automatic? / "Why Manual Cars Are Better Than Automatic Cars" / Innoson Upgrades From Manual To Automated Production (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why People Prefer Manual To Automatic Cars by donsola(m): 1:53pm On Aug 07, 2018
There are many reasons to prefer a manual over an automatic, even today with advanced forms of automatic transmissions available such as CVT, DSG, Tiptronic, Dual-Clutch, and Automated-Manual Transmissions.

Manual Transmission Pros:

-More direct control of matching gear to rpms. Meaning, with a manual you can control the smoothness of shifting up or down by “rev-matching” the motors rpm to the selected gear by blipping the throttle while heel-toe downshifting, for example. Also you can select proper gear for climbing hills more fluidly.

-More control of usable power available for acceleration in critical situations. For example, if you find yourself in a situation where the safest thing to do is to accelerate to remove oneself and others from danger, you need power to do that, which means you need to be in a lower gear than you were while cruising. A typical automatic transmission will not know when you suddenly need more power.

-Better in commuter traffic. It is easier (for me), when in bumper to bumper traffic to keep it in first and massage brake, clutch and gas to slog through heavy traffic. I find automatic transmissions far too abrupt when moving from stop to 5 mph. Many people prefer automatic in traffic because they “don’t have to pay attention” or “don’t have to work as hard”. Some people hate manuals in traffic. I understand.

-If battery dies I can push start my car. With an Automatic you simply cannot do this. So you are stuck waiting for help. I consider this not only an inconvenience but a safety issue.
Driver engagement. I am much more connected to what is going on with a manual, and I must pay attention. Although I still pay attention when driving an automatic, I prefer the engagement of a manual. I feel more connected, because I am.

-Improved gas mileage (although this has increasingly become less true depending on the vehicle make and model.
Ability to slow vehicle using transmission. Although one should not do this to excess as it can hurt both the motor and transmission if overdone, it can be done with moderation to help descend hills without having to destroy brakes.

-Safety. If the brakes go out completely, it is much better to have to direct control over the transmission in a manual. You can effectively bring a vehicle to a halt after slowing down in a controlled way with a manual. Not so with an automatic.
Overall pleasure. I do not just drive my car to the grocery store or to work, but even if I did, I would prefer a manual, even in a very hilly city where parking and driving requires continual manipulation of clutch, brake and gas in combination.
Track days. I try to go to the track as often as possible if I am driving an appropriate car. Although there are some sophisticated automatics that are actually superior to manuals on the track, like the Doppelkupplung (PDK) found in some Porsches, this is rare.

Most automatics are not track-worthy.
Re: Why People Prefer Manual To Automatic Cars by nadalion: 4:06pm On Aug 07, 2018
FTC. Please quote me when this gets to front page.
Re: Why People Prefer Manual To Automatic Cars by donsola(m): 7:14am On Aug 08, 2018
nadalion:
FTC. Please quote me when this gets to front page.
It is just an informative post for car enthusiast, thanks.
Re: Why People Prefer Manual To Automatic Cars by Hustlersdiary: 10:56am On Aug 08, 2018
Many people do not prefer Manual to Auto tranny. Only car fanatics do.

But i rep manuaal anytime, anyday.

Some people go come dey shout manual tranny now, give dem manual car to drive car go off five times before dem move. grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

2020 I Have Opted KEEP UP WITH All MY Cyberpeace Accords. / POLYTRON Lubricants User's FAQ / Why Are There So Many Nigerian Used Lexus Es 350 2008 Model In Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.