Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,491 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree (5064 Views)

When Will Nigerian Polytechnic Education Be Equivalent To University Education? / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc / Credit Transfer Of Abe, Edexcel,ncc, To Degree In Universities In China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree by cold(m): 7:09am On Jun 21, 2010
I know this will further aggravate an already raging debate but there you have it.

HND not equivalent to degree –Oronsaye

The Higher National Diploma is not equivalent to a university degree, the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Mr. Stephen Oronsaye, said on Sunday.

Answering questions at a forum of the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Abuja, the head of service said, “It is not the same curriculum; that is the truth.”

He said the Federal Ministry of Education was currently working on a scheme to enable HND graduates to spend an additional year to obtain “something that will be equivalent to B.Sc or B.Ed.”

According to him, “Let me also say this to you, that there is a body, the National Council on Establishments, where this thing was tabled.

“And unanimously, all of them said it (HND) cannot be equal (to a university degree); and that is the highest body to take this decision,” he added.

However, the head of service, who said he knew of a White Paper mandating the equation of both qualifications, advised HND holders to “better themselves.”

“I know that the Ministry of Education is already doing something through the NUC.

“The holders of the HND or OND should actually avail themselves of that opportunity to better themselves so that they can aspire to get to grade level 17.

“I am not one of those who will shy away from saying it the way it is,” Oronsaye said.

[url]http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100621455181
[/url]
Re: Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree by Acidosis(m): 7:41am On Jun 21, 2010
What a meaningless explanation with lots of controversial jargons.
Even a lay-man educationist would explain it in a reasonable way.
HND- Higher National Diploma.
BSC- Bachelor of science.
An HND holder is not expected to function where the service of a BSc is required, likewise the BSc holder is irrelevant to the technical functions of someone higher diploma.
Re: Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree by Acidosis(m): 7:58am On Jun 21, 2010
cold:

He said the Federal Ministry of Education was currently working on a scheme to enable HND graduates to spend an additional year to obtain “something that will be equivalent to B.Sc or B.Ed."
This is the silliest statement I have read today.
It makes no sense!
Re: Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree by bodeface: 2:59pm On Jun 21, 2010
Its always good to make a hay while the sun shine.
PLEASE, does anyone knows any other university in Nigeria other than UNIPORT that has an HND to BSC / BENG / BTECH conversion programmme for the HND holders.
Thanks for all information about this.
Re: Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree by ajibey(m): 11:33pm On Jun 21, 2010
The issue of BSc & HND is a long standing one and our government is so confused they have toyed with the lives of so many young Nigerians. I'm currently in the UK studying on a Msc straight with my HND. The school allowed me after looking at the credit load from ND to HND which is just same with BSc courses. i did NARIC comparism(standard for comparing UK certificates with rest of the world) and result shows it is higher than HND in UK, cannot be directed compared to mean the same as BTEC but is not Bsc because its diploma.
When i looked at the comparism closely, it meant the work load in all the transcript i submitted from my first year in ND to my final year in HND shows all the courses i took while in school is higher than HND and BTEC in UK but cannot be called BSc because the result reads Higher National Diploma (HND).
I worked in some of Nigeria's best companies with my HND before coming for my Msc in UK and i made head way that was why i was able to come to UK on self sponsor for my Msc so i encourage all others with HND to show the stuff they made of and forget about HND or BSc but at the same time try and improve on your HND with better qualifications and certification in your field
I challenge the man blowing that jargon to line his BSc Soldiers against HND Army and see the stuff HND grads are made off
Re: Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree by Ijeleigbo(m): 11:50pm On Jun 21, 2010
@ajibey. Man, i like ur style. Damn! You are a very big hope to many HND Grads out there. I intend doing my masters in the uk in the next 4years by God's grace. How is school life in uk and how many years is the programme?
Re: Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree by ajibey(m): 12:07am On Jun 22, 2010
@Ijele-igbo
The Msc is the same 1yrs with most Msc courses and you have 3mnths with which to complete your dissertation.
I want to encourage you to remain focused on your dream and the Lord will see you through
Re: Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree by hafeeslove(m): 12:14am On Jun 22, 2010
• There is different between Hnd and Bsc in field let both of them practice what they learn and see whether they are the same or not .I believe that Hnd Holder is Better than Bsc .HND 80% BSC 70% there is different .Please don’t mind them that is how they cause Problem for unemployment because they are in post of saying rubbish i can’t blame them because their son are not in Polytechnic that is why they are trying to cause trouble. is ted of say something about JOB Creation for unemployment.
Re: Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree by hafeeslove(m): 12:18am On Jun 22, 2010
• In the UK, Polytechnics were upgraded to universities so why can’t Nigeria do the same or allow Polys to award degrees? In the UK, HND has never been equivalent to a degree but experience is more important in job selection than qualifications in most cases. Can the person actually do the job despite holding a PhD? That is what matters to Oyinbo. In Nigeria, paper qualifications are more important. Work experience can count towards a degree in some UK universities.
Re: Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree by Ijeleigbo(m): 12:24am On Jun 22, 2010
ajibey:

@Ijele-igbo
The Msc is the same 1yrs with most Msc courses and you have 3mnths with which to complete your dissertation.
I want to encourage you to remain focused on your dream and the Lord will see you through
Thanks man! Being focused isn't my problem because i'm the kind of persøn who love education with passion. My prayers are God provide the resources whenever i'm ready. I wish you the best of luck. Graduate with the best Msc over there and live up your dreams. Congratulations man!
Re: Hnd Not Equivalent To Degree by Ijeleigbo(m): 12:31am On Jun 22, 2010
hafeeslove:

• In the UK, Polytechnics were upgraded to universities so why can’t Nigeria do the same or allow Polys to award degrees? In the UK, HND has never been equivalent to a degree but experience is more important in job selection than qualifications in most cases. Can the person actually do the job despite holding a PhD? That is what matters to Oyinbo. In Nigeria, paper qualifications are more important. Work experience can count towards a degree in some UK universities.
with the introduction of the UTME this year and a general cut off mark for uni and poly i believe our govt. is takin a bold step to put an end to the criticism btw uni and poly. I forsee Hnd and Bsc havin the same value very soon.

(1) (Reply)

Wats D Cutoff Mark For Uniport Certificate Pre Degree Programme / Federal College Of Education Umunze Old School Day / Lasu Undertaking Letter (download And Print Here)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.