Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,634 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia (10022 Views)

Nigeria Global Passport Index Becomes Worse Than Congo, Burundi - Report / 7 Countries That Actually Have It Worse Than Nigeria / Warning:stay Away From Royal Air Morrocan Airline Worse In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by Blue3k(m): 5:09am On Aug 08, 2018
By Godwin Oritse For the second consecutive quarter in 2018, the global maritime report on piracy has put Nigeria on the spot, occupying number one position in the number of recorded attacks against vessels in the second quarter 2018, Q2’18.

The first six months of 2018 saw a significant rise in the number of recorded piracy and armed robbery incidents in the Gulf of Guinea region compared to the same period in 2017.

The Q1’18 report from the International Maritime Bureau (IMB) shows an increase in global piracy, with 107 incidents recorded in the first six months of 2018 compared to 87 in the same period in 2017.

Most alarming is the increase in the number of incidents recorded in the Gulf of Guinea region, which has gone from 16 in the first half of 2017 to 46 in 2018, with 31 incidents recorded in Nigeria’s territorial waters alone.

The report also says Nigeria, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Venezuela and Benin Republic led the table in the number of attempted attacks, number of vessels boarded by pirates, number of vessels fired upon, number of hijacked vessels and number of suspicious boats operated by pirates.

A breakdown of the report further revealed that Nigeria recorded 31 attacks, closely followed by Indonesia with 25, while Bangladesh and Venezuela recorded 7 attacks each.

Others are Republic of Benin and Ghana with 5 attacks each.

According to the report, Bulk carriers suffered the most in the attacks against vessels as 39 of such vessels were attacked since the beginning of the year.

Tanker vessels also recorded 30 attacks in the first six months of the year while passenger vessels recorded only one attack so far this year.

On the number of attacks on vessels on anchorage, Nigeria led other countries with 14 of such attacks, followed by Indonesia with 11 and Bangladesh with 7 recorded attacks.

Speaking on the development, Captain Jacob, Ovweghre, self acclaimed Director General of the proposed Maritime Security Agency, MASECA, said that the Nigerian Navy and the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, NIMASA are already over burdened with the problem of checkmating armed robbery at sea.

Ovweghre disclosed that some of the pirates are not Nigerians adding that sometimes they are nationals of Cameroon, Ghana and criminals from other neighbouring countries.

But in defence of the figure, Chairman of the Port Facility Security Officers, PFSO, Forum, Dr. Ignatius Uche, said that the measures put in place by the relevant authorities to checkmate the spate of attacks are yielding positive results as, according to him, ‘‘there has been a downward trend in attacks on vessels’’.

He said despite the fact that Nigeria still leads the chart on piracy, the figure over the last three months has gone down.

Former Senior Special Assistant to former President Goodluck Jonathan, Mr. Leke Oyewole, commended the maritime authorities for the measures put in place to reduce the activities of the marine criminals.

Oyewole stated: ‘‘Whatever they are doing to reduce pirates attacks in Nigeria means that the measures are good and they must improve on them to further reduce the figure being quoted by the International Maritime Bureau, IMB.”

Pirates and robbers were armed with guns in almost half of the Nigerian incidents and vessels were fired upon in eight of them.

This current report is a confirmation of Vanguard Maritime Report recently on the trend in incidence of piracy in Nigerian maritime space.

Worldwide, in the first three months of 2018, 100 crew were taken hostage and 14 kidnapped from their vessels. A total of 39 vessels were boarded, 11 fired upon and four vessels hijacked. IMB received a further 12 reports of attempted attacks.

On the positive side, the IMB reports that the number of crew kidnappings has decreased globally from 41 in Q2’17 to 25 in Q2’18.

However, all 25 crew kidnappings reported this year are from six incidents in the Gulf of Guinea, off the coast of Nigeria, emphasizing even further the higher maritime risks in this region.

Another positive development, however, is the IMB reports of fewer piracy and armed robbery incidents in piracy hotspots other than the Gulf of Guinea. For instance, no incident was recorded off the coast of Somalia in Q2’18 and while the number of incidents reported by vessels at berth/anchorage in Indonesia and Bangladesh remains high, the situation in the Philippines has improved.

According to the report, abductions of crew from vessels in the Sulu-Celebes Seas and waters off Eastern Sabah have also improved, with no such successful incidents recorded in the first half of 2018.

According to the Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia (ReCAAP), the first six months of 2018 saw the lowest number of piracy and armed robbery incidents in Asia at that time of the year for the past ten years.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/08/piracy-nigeria-waters-now-worse-than-somalia/
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by Nackzy: 5:31am On Aug 08, 2018
Crime rate has rili increase in buharis era than any other political era
Even me i no longer trust myself, i can do anything now to get money

19 Likes

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by chomchom1(f): 5:42am On Aug 08, 2018
Everything under this regime is worse undecided

18 Likes

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by horsepower101: 5:44am On Aug 08, 2018
Nigeria also has a lower life span than Somalia.

How come everything Nnamdi Kanu predicted about Nigeria is turning out to be true.

Life Expectancy at Birth, 2016 for Africa

Top 10

Algeria 76.4
Morocco 76
Tunisia 76
Mauritius 74.8
Seychelles 73.3
Cape Verde 73.2
Libya 71.9
Egypt 70.5
Sao Tome 68.7
Rwanda 68

Others

Senegal 66.8
Kenya 66.7
Ethiopia 65.5
Sudan 65.1
Tanzania 63.9
Uganda 62.5
Angola 62.6
Ghana 63.4
South Africa 63.6
DRC 60.5
Mozambique 60.1
Cameroon 58.1
Somalia 55.4
Nigeria 55.2

Cote d'Ivoire 54.6

WHO World Health Statistics, 2018

10 Likes

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by CTechHub(m): 5:47am On Aug 08, 2018
Not again We are in deep problems already.
I think come 2019; it's PVC or VISA

check out my siggy that might in getting ur VISA MONEY

2 Likes

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by Blue3k(m): 6:29am On Aug 08, 2018
The stats are interesting this quater. The western ports are under attack by pirates. 14 of the actual attacks took place at lagos while 4 took place in eastern waters off cost of bonny and brass. In attempted attacks 11 took place eastern side and 1 in lagos port. The Nigerian navy needs needs to do more to secure territorial waters.

You guys can read report on website

Nigeria (Lagos): Pirates / robbers are often well armed, violent and have attacked hijacked and robbed vessels / kidnapped crews along the coast, rivers, anchorages, ports and surrounding waters. In the past, were also injured and kidnapped in past attacks. Generally, all waters in/off Nigeria remain risky. Vessels are advised to be vigilant, as many attacks may have gone unreported.

(Off Bayelsa/Brass/Bonny Island/Port Harcourt): Recently, there has been a dramatic increase in attacks / hijackings / kidnapping of crews off these areas. Vessels are advised to take additional measures in these high risk waters. attacks reported up to about 170nm from coast.

Front Page: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by FarahAideed: 6:32am On Aug 08, 2018
Nackzy:

That was exactly how his govt in 1984 made Crimes and corruption to surge in Nigeria and it never again went down and that's the reason I always say Buhari is actually the father of Nigerias corruption.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by gunuvi(m): 6:36am On Aug 08, 2018
God why put me in this country na.. Well, just continue to protect and provide for me and other good people even in the midst of all these problems. Amen
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by mpianya39(m): 7:11am On Aug 08, 2018
cheesy
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by AGNESikpuNNU(f): 11:34am On Aug 08, 2018
Make dem use propaganda hush this one too as dem dey hush the slaughter 4 bornu. Wetin concern me

1 Like

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by Rangbeish: 11:34am On Aug 08, 2018
90% of the country's pirates are in Rivers State
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by GREATESTPIANIST: 11:34am On Aug 08, 2018
n
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by izzy4shizzy(m): 11:34am On Aug 08, 2018
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by yamendiva(f): 11:36am On Aug 08, 2018
Nigeria is a glorified disease under Buhari

4 Likes

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by Mutemenot(m): 11:36am On Aug 08, 2018
I don fly be that . Naija is a na worst than Somalia angry

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by richeeyo(m): 11:36am On Aug 08, 2018
Some idiots are trying to make it look as if innamdi kanu is not a criminal
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by richeeyo(m): 11:39am On Aug 08, 2018
Abeg how many ships have you heard that been hijacked In Nigerian waters, white man always making black man look bad

1 Like

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by kindnyce(m): 11:39am On Aug 08, 2018
Insecurity everywhere, land.Killer Herdsmen and Boko haram

Air. Malfunctioning aeroplanes

Sea..Pirates

Naija which way cool cool
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by mightguy(m): 11:40am On Aug 08, 2018
Bubu the moose
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by berryford: 11:42am On Aug 08, 2018
What do expect when our navy are enjoying themselves in clubs and shipping small girls with to f**k offshore angry lipsrsealed
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by Bawizzo(m): 11:42am On Aug 08, 2018
Somalian pirates don the copy answer from us back, abi?
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by thunderbabs: 11:43am On Aug 08, 2018
Nackzy:

Bro, dont give in yet oo odawise nairaland go show us ur oblong or flat head wetin u do cheesy

Mk we comot dt cow man first
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by yomalex(m): 11:43am On Aug 08, 2018
hmm
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by Punstar: 11:43am On Aug 08, 2018
Sack Buhari
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by nnaeyes6: 11:44am On Aug 08, 2018
We are always breaking records
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by LilSmith55(m): 11:47am On Aug 08, 2018
chomchom1:
Everything under this regime is worse undecided

Seriously, Worse is an Understatement for this Regime

1 Like

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by Ganjafama(m): 11:48am On Aug 08, 2018
horsepower101:
Nigeria also has a lower life span than Somalia.

How come everything Nnamdi Kanu predicted about Nigeria is turning out to be true.

Life Expectancy at Birth, 2016 for Africa

Top 10

Algeria 76.4
Morocco 76
Tunisia 76
Mauritius 74.8
Seychelles 73.3
Cape Verde 73.2
Libya 71.9
Egypt 70.5
Sao Tome 68.7
Rwanda 68

Others

Senegal 66.8
Kenya 66.7
Ethiopia 65.5
Sudan 65.1
Tanzania 63.9
Uganda 62.5
Angola 62.6
Ghana 63.4
South Africa 63.6
DRC 60.5
Mozambique 60.1
Cameroon 58.1
Somalia 55.4
Nigeria 55.2

Cote d'Ivoire 54.6

WHO World Health Statistics, 2018
Nigeria is a very terrible place to be born in. I fear for the future of my children, honestly. The worst part is that any hardship we are experiencing now is self inflicted.

1 Like

Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by FitnesScientist: 11:50am On Aug 08, 2018
FarahAideed:

That was exactly how his govt in 1984 made Crimes and corruption to surge in Nigeria and it never again went down and that's the reason I always say Buhari is actually the father of Nigerias corruption.

How old were you then? Or where is your proof of that?
Re: PIRACY: Nigeria Water’s Now Worse Than Somalia by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 08, 2018
Blue3k:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/08/piracy-nigeria-waters-now-worse-than-somalia/

Is anyone in charge of this fvcking zoo called Nigeria at all??!!.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Europe Visa With 5 Years Resident Permit / Lagos - A Rising International Tourist & Business Destination (pics) / Libya To Deport Another 131 Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.