Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,517 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off (18021 Views)

MTN To Takeover ₦202 Billion Enugu-Onitsha Road Construction / Many Passengers Killed In Accident On Enugu/Onitsha Road (Graphic Photos) / Trailer Crushes Man's Car On Enugu-Onitsha Road. He Survives (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by afroniger: 10:22am On Aug 08, 2018
By Dennis Agbo AUGUST 8, 2018

ENUGU - WITH the rainy season at its peak, most landscapes are giving in to degradation in most parts of Enugu State, same as other states in the South-East with porous soil formations.

Worst affected places in the state are road sides that are being cut off due to either poor or complete lack of drainage on the sides.

There are numerous sites of such degradation but prominent among them are the Enugu end of the Enugu-Onitsha road, particularly along the 15 kilometres Abakpa Junction-9th Mile section of the road which the Federal Government neglected until it’s now about to cut-off.

Travelling the short distance between Enugu and 9th Mile is a nightmare, not just for the road that is impassable but for the fear of skidding into deep gullies that have chopped off major portions of the road.

At Ekulu bridge, just behind 82 Division Abakpa Barracks, is an erosion gully that is not only risky to commuters but is also a threat to the bridge that serves as a connector for Abakpa and the two lanes of the federal highway.

At Ugwu Onyeama proper, a section of the road with undulating hill formation where coal was mined, the portion is almost cut-off with more than 60 per cent of one lane barricaded to avert tragedy occuring there.

An alternative route to avoiding Ugwu Onyeama which is the Milikin Hill-Ngwo Road is also being threatened by the same erosion despite the recent rehabilitation of the colonial road by Enugu State Government.

Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, however, went back to the site to check the threatening portion and the road is presently being made safe for passage.

In a similar situation, even within the Enugu City are some forms of degradation threatening establishments such as industrial complexes. At Rico Industrial site at Ngenev near Coal Camp, massive gully is about to sack part of the industrial complex, with Chairman of the Group, Chief Eric Chime calling on all authorities to come to its aid.

But the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project, NEWMAP, said it’s not an emergency agency that rushes to urgently required sites for salvation. While agreeing that all the erosion sites in the state required urgent attention, including the Enugu-Onitsha highway, NEWMAP regretted that the process of its intervention takes time.

Enugu State coordinator of NEWMAP, Mr. Egechukwu Obetta said that despite the protocol involved before its intervention, it has done much work in the state and named sites where it has done enormous works to include Ajali Water Works erosion site, Udi-Ozalla, Imiliki, Onuiyi Nsukka and Ohom Orba erosion sites.

Obetta after visiting the new erosion sites made barricade sign at the dangerous gully that has entered into the Enugu-Onitsha highway at Ekulu bridge behind 82 Division. He stated that Enugu State Government has paid over N200 million counterpart fund to enable the state source World Bank NEWMAP facility to combat further degradation in the state.

Obetta disclosed that because of the counterpart fund it paid, the state was able to commence work at Umuavulu-Abor erosion site among other sites it has been working on.

Obetta said: “Erosion is closing in on all our roads and people want NEWMAP and the Federal Ministry of Works to do something about them because they are all emergency situations.

“As NEWMAP, we take proactive measures to respond to erosions. We take damage control and have less time for proactive analysis like we just had in Nsukka.

“Erosion projects are gigantic projects and that is the reason why we’ve been able to complete only two projects in the state but our major impendement which was counterpart fund, has been resolved.” Obetta also hinted about four fingers of heavy gullies in Ngwo community, noting that an edifice is about being submerged at Amauzam-Ngwo. On the perennial Nsukka flood which has consumed may lives due to large quantity of rainfall, Obetta said that a pool that would look like a lake is being designed for Nsukka to serve as a collection centre instead of channeling all the water through long distances that brings about the flood.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/08/erosion-menance-enugu-onitsha-road-about-to-cut-off/

1 Share

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by afroniger: 10:24am On Aug 08, 2018
But the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project, NEWMAP, said it’s not an emergency agency that rushes to urgently required sites for salvation.

How can an agency (NEWMAP) deny its own duty? Heads suppose roll over such insensitive comment.

5 Likes

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Nobody: 10:29am On Aug 08, 2018
Checking .....

This was the same road buhari, fashola and his co-horts of liars completed from Abuja....with their wide mouths.....

Enugu state governor should stop waiting on buhari....Buhari won't construct that road as far as is in the SE....The governor should mop up resources (funds), engage stakeholder (wealthy) and solicit for their support to save their land.....same way obiano is doing.....and then construct the road after which he will start pursuing a refund from federal government.......

But if not forget about it....Buhari will never touch that road.

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by tolexy111: 10:30am On Aug 08, 2018
where is the road cutting into half now?

4 Likes

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 08, 2018
Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Ikem11(m): 10:30am On Aug 08, 2018
Cutting off you say op? Now u confused me
Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by imran147(m): 10:30am On Aug 08, 2018
afroniger:

How can an agency (NEWMAP) deny its own duty? Heads suppose roll over such insensitive comment.

I I WONDER OOO YEYE DEY SMELL
Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Omololu2121: 10:30am On Aug 08, 2018
H
Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 08, 2018
grin

3 Likes

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Jasen1(m): 10:31am On Aug 08, 2018
afroniger:

Anything to destroy east they will want it, but it will not work for them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Yomit71(m): 10:31am On Aug 08, 2018
yeye yeye grin
igbo Amala

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by tstx(m): 10:32am On Aug 08, 2018
Chei
Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Sealeddeal(m): 10:32am On Aug 08, 2018
About to cut off?
I thought APC cankerworms said that Buhari has reconstructed Onitsha- Enugu highway.

9 Likes

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 08, 2018
Erosion headquarters of Nigeria grin

15 Likes

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by reantv(m): 10:33am On Aug 08, 2018
This area needs a geological evaluation, Onitsha especially...

Own your dream today at our now selling homes at Karimo District(FCT) by Turkish Hospitals. See signature for details.

Dynamic JT Homes

2 Likes

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by clarocuzioo(m): 10:35am On Aug 08, 2018
Is this not the road the APC led government have finished constructing on the media?
APC governance and government is not by propaganda, it is by serious, dedicated work.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by d33types: 10:35am On Aug 08, 2018
I passed the smoothest road i have ever come across in Nigeria Kaduna-Zaria road.
As smooth as it is, Julius Berger is still working on it.
Doing what? Making it smoother..

I havent seen Julius Berger in the South for donkey years.
And you think one Nigeria isn't a scam

15 Likes

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by RealNaijaQuin: 10:37am On Aug 08, 2018
Aside Owerri, East no get good road
I went to Aba the other day and it was a mess sad

Please check my bio..

1 Like

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Burshh: 10:38am On Aug 08, 2018
Is this not the road APC adherents said have been fixed?

You will be surprised at the level of propangada this road have received.

During my recent trips on this route. I see the truth... but the propanganda was louder.

8 Likes

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Yomit71(m): 10:43am On Aug 08, 2018
RealNaijaQuin:

Please check my bio..
which side in owelli?

1 Like

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by Racoon(m): 10:44am On Aug 08, 2018
I thought this is the same road Sarrki in the APC usual propaganda was masturbating that Buhari government have repaired using Sukkot bond

https://www.nairaland.com/3288653/fg-sets-rehabilitate-enugu-onitsha-expressway#48489154

1 Like

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by RealNaijaQuin: 10:45am On Aug 08, 2018
Yomit71:

which side in owelli?

I stay in Aladinma, the place is fine
New Owerri is fine

Forget about these renovations in Douglas and Whetheral, it will be ok

1 Like

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by stano2(m): 10:49am On Aug 08, 2018
If funds should be released for the construction now, a bad job would still done on the road.
Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by stano2(m): 10:49am On Aug 08, 2018
RealNaijaQuin:

Please check my bio..
Quack roads in Owerri :- what you find in Owerri is painting of roads

1 Like

Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by RealNaijaQuin: 10:51am On Aug 08, 2018
Diamond360:

Their capitals have good roads

Lol... ok
The interior of Imo have good roads too, at least the parts I've been to
Re: Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off by bigpicture001: 10:52am On Aug 08, 2018
where are all d yoruba muslims E- warriors dt always side fashola that he is not tribalistic...nonsense! Fairness my foot

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Welcome To The Biggest Zoo And Seaworld In Lagos / Umar Tudunwada Dies In Road Accident / Railway Operators Ignore FG Free-Ride Directive, Sell Tickets At Inflated Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.