Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,596 members, 7,816,480 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria (21421 Views)

Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria / UNILORIN Exam Questions About 2019 Elections (Political Science) / Why You Should Have Your Postgraduate Study In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Rhymeyjohn: 11:07pm On Aug 08, 2018
A lot of questions bother prospective Masters and PhD students, but there aren’t correct answers. Postgraduate Nigeria question Nigerians ask about postgraduate study is a kind of faqs. Feel free to drop more questions, and we will gladly answer.

Must I have a Masters degree?                                                                                                   Well…. YES or No, the choice is yours. You simply need a minimum tertiary education for a good head start in career. But if you desire something extra in the career path, you may need aMasters degree. Though this is not absolute.

Is it only prospective lecturers that study for a PhD?
  No. Though teaching staff or lecturers in universities and other tertiary institutions are expected to have a PhD, Lecturing is not the exclusive career path for Doctorate degree holder. They can work in research institutes, world bodies, government and so on.

Every body is doing Masters, does it help to get job?
  A Master degree does not help in getting entry level jobs. It’s a sad reality of the Nigerian situation, with many unemployed people. Many graduates just keep busy by enrolling for a Masters degree; at least, it prevents the brain from atrophy.

Can a third class graduate do a Master degree?
    No. To study for a Masters degree, a third class graduate would need to have a Postgraduate diploma (PGD) in the desired course.  In some rare cases, a third class graduate with many years of experiencecan be admitted for professional masters like MBA.Please,

which one is M.Phil again?                                                                                          M.Phil is Master of Philosophy. It is an intermediate Masters degree for those who don’t meet the requirement for direct admission into a PhD. In many cases, it is non terminal, so the student continues straight in the PhD after meeting a pass mark.

How do Medical doctors become professors, without Masters?                               It depends on the area of specialization. Some Medical doctors study for a Masters and PhD especially in the Preclinicals/ basic medical sciences. Also, residency is a kind of Masters, a rigorous training for years with exams at the end. I believe at some point, they will choose between becoming a Consultant with pure hospital duties or they follow the academic line and become a professor.

What is the fastest time to do a Masters or PhD?                                             
 Fastest is relative. In the Nigerian context, the fastest time within which a Master degree can be gotten is 1 year, but it is safe to say 18 months considering factors like proposal, external defence, e.t.c. The fastest time to bag a PhD in Nigeria is 3 years. Even if all work has been completed, the student isn’t allowed to graduate till the third session.     In the U.K, a Masters degree can be gotten within 9-12 months.

Are Nigerian certificates accepted abroad for Masters and PhD?                
  Yes, As long as the university is approved by the NUC. Beyond the certificates, the transcript is more important for admission decision.

I need cheap Nigerian universities to earn a Masters degree                    
Cheap…….! In terms of quality or cost. If it’s in terms of quality, that would be a terrible mistake, as your it would mean raising a high academic tower without structure. It terms of cost, Federal universities are cheaper to study for a Masters. In addition, universities in the North are very cheap because postgraduate education demand is low. In general, Postgraduate studies (Masters, PhD etal) is cheap in Nigeria, compared to many other countries.

Why do people prefer Federal Universities for Postgraduate study?
            For reason stated above, i.e cost. In addition, Federal universities are more funded and better staffed than state and private ones. There is also the advantage of access to international network to foreign research organizations and grants. Finally, many Federal universities have research institutes in their vicinity that aid academic research work.

What does M.B.A mean?                                                                                                       Master of Business Administration. It is a professional Master degree.

Any difference between professional and academic Masters degree?
  Yes. Professional Master is focused on career workers, who need to update their knowledge within the field of their work. It is mainly course based, with assignment, term papers and case studies as significant part of its curriculum. Academic Masters is for those who would be lecturers and research staff. It combines course work and thesis, with thesis having the highest weight. Academic Masters degree holders proceed directly to PhD.

What is a PGDE                                                                                                        Post Graduate Diploma in Educationhttp://postgraduatenigeria.com.ng/2017/01/course-review-postgraduate-diploma-in/

Why are some M.B.A called executive MBA?
    It’s a terminology, used majorly by University of Lagos. Executive MBA is reordered to suit the top level working class. So this MBA holds in the evenings of week days from 6pm or at weekends.Bring on more questions.
http://postgraduatenigeria.com.ng/2018/08/top-questions-about-postgraduate-study-in-nigeria/

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 09, 2018
It is advisable to run your postgraduate degree in a reputable private or foreign university. The sadist in most public universities will make matters worst

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Rhymeyjohn: 2:14pm On Aug 09, 2018
true... but some public universities lecturers are changing alot in attitude. Places like UI and UNIĹAG have great academic staff that will mentor and not 'pull him down'
asuustrike2009:
It is advisable to run your postgraduate degree in a reputable private or foreign university. The sadist in most public universities will make matters worst

lalasticlala

4 Likes

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 09, 2018
Rhymeyjohn:
true... but some public universities lecturers are changing alot in attitude. Places like UI and UNIĹAG have great academic staff that will mentor and not 'pull him down'

lalasticlala
UI and UNILAG are trying but the rest public universities are sadist sorry to say.

8 Likes

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Sweetcollins: 5:16pm On Aug 09, 2018
Just here

1 Like

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Waakanda: 5:17pm On Aug 09, 2018
Cool
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 09, 2018
My face when people say go for masters undecided undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by moshoodn(m): 5:18pm On Aug 09, 2018
UNILAG is a great place to run a postgraduate course..

4 Likes

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 5:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
Professional master will suite a lot of Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by modaink333: 5:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
Nigeria education is shit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Centcanada: 5:19pm On Aug 09, 2018
I admire this topic so much

7 Likes

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Davoneskay(m): 5:26pm On Aug 09, 2018
Best topic since I have joined this forum

4 Likes

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by DeeGeeNee: 5:29pm On Aug 09, 2018
No knowledge acquired is a waste
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by sykeng(m): 5:30pm On Aug 09, 2018
Doing MSc in Nigeria universities is a waste of time, we have so many sadist in our institutions.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Davoneskay(m): 5:30pm On Aug 09, 2018
Davoneskay:
Best topic since I have joined this forum
Modified: UI lecturers will never give any of their PG students issues. The ball is in d student's court. U hasten ur programme wit ur seriousness.

8 Likes

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by KongaNigeria: 5:31pm On Aug 09, 2018
Thanks for sharing OP

Meanwhile, please apply for this full-funded Canadian scholarship for Africans!
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Franklyspeakin: 5:32pm On Aug 09, 2018
Please which universities offer mphil in microbiology??
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by 3283Abokination(m): 5:33pm On Aug 09, 2018
how can someone apply for postgraduate in foreign university?
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Quality20(m): 5:33pm On Aug 09, 2018
Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto(UDUS) is probably d coolest place to d PG programs.
cheap fees, about 104k per session and easy admission without stress ,even students per class could b as low as 3 or even 2 and at most 10. And what more , a 3rd class graduate can be admitted for masters if he/she has at least 5 yrs postgraduate relevant working experience.
Overall I think UDUS is d cheapest PG school in d country, with highly skilled manpower and new/standard amenities and infrastructures.
The application forms is currently on sale at d cost of 10k and sales of d form closes next month,except if extended

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Olanireti(m): 5:33pm On Aug 09, 2018
Someone that studied Mass Communication in Polytechnic but later desires a career in Teaching, how can the person go about the PGDE?
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by ultimate77(m): 5:35pm On Aug 09, 2018
Can anyone say anything about msc in RUST i need to get myself enrolled. Its been 7yrs after 8sc

1 Like

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 09, 2018
Rhymeyjohn:

lalasticlala
How easy will it be for someone that studied a particular course(BSc) and decides to switch department for his master program in the same faculty.

1 Like

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Phunmibi: 5:36pm On Aug 09, 2018
Hi, OP thanks for this topic. But do you know of any foreign university I can get to do PhD without masters?
BTW I am due for undergraduate graduation next year, I am studying Engineering and I am likely to graduate with a 4.8+

4 Likes

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Quality20(m): 5:42pm On Aug 09, 2018
Franklyspeakin:
Please which universities offer mphil in microbiology??
check ABU and UDUS
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 5:46pm On Aug 09, 2018
Phunmibi:
Hi, OP thanks for this topic. But do you know of any foreign university I can get to do PhD without masters?
BTW I am due for undergraduate graduation next year, I am studying Engineering and I am likely to graduate with a 4.8+

You can do so if you apply for a direct PhD. Your CGPA is perfect for the program, making it easier. I know a lass who got admitted to PhD in a school in the US and she had a first class from Unilag.

But get ready to write the GRE and TOEFL.
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by sacajawea: 5:46pm On Aug 09, 2018
Waste of time pls just listen to me
85% of the time it is, except you can really afford it or for political reasons even at that you can buy original bring 15M
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by babyfaceafrica: 5:49pm On Aug 09, 2018
Davoneskay:

Modified: UI lecturers will never give any of their PG students issues. The ball is in d student's court. U hasten ur programme wit ur seriousness.
lolx....how do you know this?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Mrmrpee(m): 5:53pm On Aug 09, 2018
Where can be admitted for masters in industrial mathematics ?
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 6:13pm On Aug 09, 2018
Quality20:
Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto(UDUS) is probably d coolest place to d PG programs.
cheap fees, about 104k per session and easy admission without stress ,even students per class could b as low as 3 or even 2 and at most 10. And what more , a 3rd class graduate can be admitted for masters if he/she has at least 5 yrs postgraduate relevant working experience.
Overall I think UDUS is d cheapest PG school in d country, with highly skilled manpower and new/standard amenities and infrastructures.
The application forms is currently on sale at d cost of 10k and sales of d form closes next month,except if extended

I never knew that school was good

What about their PhD programs

is it fast?
Re: Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria by Phunmibi: 6:17pm On Aug 09, 2018
Gerrard59:

You can do so if you apply for a direct PhD. Your CGPA is perfect for the program, making it easier. I know a lass who got admitted to PhD in a school in the US and she had a first class from Unilag.

But get ready to write the GRE and TOEFL.

Thanks for the prompt response. GRE and TOEFL isn't a problem. God will help me!
however, can you give me names?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

JAMB: Fraudsters Take Control Of Our Site, Divert N10m Allowance Of Ad-hoc Staff / Share Your Embarrassing Examination Day Experiences / University Of Ibadan (direct Entry) 2012/2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.