Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,213 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them (12958 Views)

Common Interview Questions And Answers Plus Other Interview Tips / 13 Common Interview Questions & Their Impressive Answers / How To Answer 18 Common Interview Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:51am On Aug 09, 2018
What shouldn’t you do when interviewing? Here are the most common job interview mistakes, blunders, and errors a candidate for employment can make.

Unfortunately, it’s easy to make these mistakes without even realizing it – and many of them are more common than you might think! Take the time to prepare before your interview, so you don’t have to stress out about blunders after it.

Read on for the top most common job interview mistakes, and how to avoid making them.

Dressing Inappropriately

When you interview a job, it’s imperative to look professional and polished. Although your attire may vary based on the position you’re applying for – for example, you should wear business casual clothing to an interview for a non-professional job or startup casual garb to an interview at a small startup company – it’s important look well-dressed and put together, no matter what the company.

Arriving Late

Next on the list, is something you would think would be a no-brainer – being on time for your interview. Everyone knows that first impressions are very important in landing a job, but did you know that you can make a bad first impression before you even arrive at your interview?

Running late not only suggests poor time management skills, but shows a lack of respect for the company, the position and even your interviewer. Go the extra length to make sure that you aren’t late, and arrive on time, or even early. Budget your time so that you make it to the interview five to ten minutes early. That way, if something unforeseen comes up on your way over to your interview, you’ll have some cushion time.

Bringing a Drink With You

Ditch the coffee or soda before you enter your interview. If you need to fuel up, do it before you get to the interview.

Not only is it unprofessional to enter with a drink in hand, but during your interview, you should be focused on the task at hand: making a good impression, answering questions, maintaining eye contact with your potential employer, and paying attention throughout the entire interviewing process.

Having a drink in front of you creates the opportunity for distraction – fiddling with the cup, or missing a question while taking a sip, for example. And although it may be a relatively unlikely possibility, bringing a drink into your interview also gives way to other unsightly accidents – like spilling the drink on the desk, on you, or even your interviewer!

Using Your Phone During the Interview

Don’t forget to turn off your phone before you head into the interview.

Before you get to your interview, silence your phone. Texting during your interview is not only rude and disruptive, but it’s a pretty clear message to your potential employer that getting the job is not your top priority. For the same reasons, don’t answer calls (and certainly don’t make calls!) during the interview. To resist the temptation to check your phone, stow your phone in your bag before the interview.

Don’t let your potential employer stump you with the question, “What do you know about this company?”

Not Knowing Anything About the Company

It’s one of the easiest questions to ace, if only you do some research before your interview.

Background information including company history, locations, divisions, and a mission statement are available in an “About Us” section on most company websites. Review it ahead of time, then print it out and read it over just before your interview to refresh your memory. Also check the company’s LinkedIn page and Facebook page, if they have one.

Fuzzy Resume Facts

Even if you have submitted a resume when you applied for the job, you may also be asked to fill out a job application. Make sure you know the information you will need to complete an application including dates of prior employment, graduation dates, and employer contact information.

It’s understandable that some of your older experiences may be hard to recall. Review the facts before your interview. It can be helpful to keep a copy of your resume for yourself to refer to during your interview, although certainly don’t use it as a crutch.

Of course, you should never “fudge” any facts on your resume. The more truthful you are on your resume, the better you will be able to discuss your past experience during your interview.

Not Paying Attention

It’s very easy to get distracted during an interview, but not paying attention can cost you.

Don’t let yourself zone out during an interview. Make sure you are well-rested, alert and prepared for your interview.

Getting distracted and missing a question looks bad on your part. If you zone out, your potential employer will wonder how you will be able to stay focused during a day on the job, if you can’t even focus during one interview.

If you feel your attention slipping away, make the effort to stay engaged. Maintain eye contact, lean forward slightly when talking to your interviewer, and make an active effort to listen effectively.

Talking Too Much

There is nothing much worse than interviewing someone who goes on and on and on… The interviewer really doesn’t need to know your whole life story. Keep your answers succinct, to-the-point and focused and don’t ramble – simply answer the question.

Don’t get sidetracked and start talking about your personal life – your spouse, your home life or your children are not topics you should delve into. No matter how warm, welcoming or genial your interviewer may be, an interview is a professional situation – not a personal one.

Not Being Prepared to Answer Questions

Your interviewer is probably going to ask you more than just the basics about where you worked, and then. To get a feel of your aptitude for a job, your interviewer is going to take advantage of the allotted time and flesh out everything he or she needs to know about you as an employee.

Don’t let yourself be caught off guard. Prepare for your interview by reviewing what questions to expect, and how to answer them.

Be prepared with a list of questions to ask the employer so you’re ready when you asked if you have questions for the interviewer. Take a look, as well, at the questions you should not ask during a job interview and here are the worst interview answers that you should avoid at all costs.

Badmouthing Past Employers

Don’t make the mistake of badmouthing your boss or coworkers. It’s sometimes a smaller world than you think and you don’t know who your interviewer might know, including that boss who is an idiot… You also don’t want the interviewer to think that you might speak that way about his or her company if you leave on terms that aren’t the best.

When interviewing for a job, you want your employer to know that you can work well with other people and handle conflicts in a mature and effective way, rather than badmouthing your coworkers or talking about other people’s incompetence.

When you’re asked hard questions, like “Tell me about a time that you didn’t work well with a supervisor. What was the outcome and how would you have changed the outcome?” or “Have you worked with someone you didn’t like? If so, how did you handle it?,” don’t fall back on badmouthing other people.

PLEASE READ MORE>>> https://patrickokunima.com/2016/06/21/most-common-interview-mistakes-and-how-to-avoid-them/

3 Likes

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:53am On Aug 09, 2018
If you know any other common interview blunder that's not included, please add.
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Zanotee: 7:20am On Aug 09, 2018
I have a job interview on " business developer role" this morning. Got the invite yesterday.

What are the questions am to expect ?
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Zanotee: 7:21am On Aug 09, 2018
PatrickOkunima:
I have a job interview on " business developer role" this morning. Got the invite yesterday.

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:01am On Aug 09, 2018
Zanotee:

What are the questions am to expect?

I can't tell, just get yourself familiar with the basic concepts in business development: sales, relationship building, negotiation, new market identification, etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 09, 2018
What about applicants who pass all these test but didn't get the job?

1 Like

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by SEONaijaExpert: 9:08am On Aug 09, 2018
These are just theories for applicants. But thanks anyways for sharing.
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Sanchez01: 9:12am On Aug 09, 2018
Zanotee:

It's a subtle name for marketing. You must understand the company's profile, her target audience, strategies to driving decrement, what products or new products are there for you to understand and how would you explain it if asked, what strategies would you adopt to achieve your day-to-day target? Have you taken any role in the past on sales? If yes, how did you make the difference? These and more are likely to come at you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Leun: 9:13am On Aug 09, 2018
Zanotee:

What kind of sh!thole coy would send you a text yesterday for an interview the next day?

1 Like

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Offpoint: 9:13am On Aug 09, 2018
Every interview I went for I always end up fighting my interviewer. I'm easily piss off.
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by MrImole: 9:15am On Aug 09, 2018
Lol!

Don't smoke during the interview.
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by mayDtolu(m): 9:15am On Aug 09, 2018
Avoid bad use of English too....It's necessary!
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by BIGDADDY000(m): 9:18am On Aug 09, 2018
All this can happen to some1 if only village people is at work. well God forbid bad things shaa.
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by greygoblings(m): 9:19am On Aug 09, 2018
cucumbae:
What about applicants who pass all these test but didn't get the job?

There is something important people should know about interviews... Firstly, the list by the OP will put you in a pretty good position to landing a job but it is not a guarantee, there might be others who performed better than you did. Secondly, most organizations advertise and post jobs for "the sake of doing". They already have an internal candidate to fill that role. So no matter how you perform, you will not get the role. And finally, a recruiter might just like something about a particular candidate for some unusual reason. The candidate might not be the best but is the most liked by the recruiting manager. I have been guilty of the latter. During an interview where I was the recruiting manager, I picked a candidate because she said she has been trying to enter an International NGO for years and couldn't that's why she traveled for almost 600 km to attend the interview. This somehow reminded me of my struggle years back, hence, she got the job even though she wasn't the best.

3 Likes

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Opinionated: 9:20am On Aug 09, 2018
Get interview coaching if truly you value the job you are being interviewed for.

Find JarusHub and thank we later. You can google the name if you are wondering.
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by jaywhoco(m): 9:22am On Aug 09, 2018
mayDtolu:
Avoid bad use of English too....It's necessary!
yeah. like saying 'am' instead of 'I am'...

2 Likes

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by AlienRobot: 9:24am On Aug 09, 2018
So on point
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by AlienRobot: 9:24am On Aug 09, 2018
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 9:25am On Aug 09, 2018
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by eluquenson(m): 9:25am On Aug 09, 2018
Nice info
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by DONADAMS(m): 9:26am On Aug 09, 2018
BTW sorry for digressing... please how do I get a refund from taxify? I paid for a fare in cash and when I got home they still debited my account...I've been waiting since Saturday buh they are yet to refund...please how do I go about it?
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 9:27am On Aug 09, 2018
greygoblings:

There is something important people should know about interviews... Firstly, the list by the OP will put you in a pretty good position to landing a job but it is not a guarantee, there might be others who performed better than you did. Secondly, most organizations advertise and post jobs for "the sake of doing". They already have an internal candidate to fill that role. So no matter how you perform, you will not get the role. And finally, a recruiter might just like something about a particular candidate for some unusual reason. The candidate might not be the best but is the most liked by the recruiting manager. I have been guilty of the latter. During an interview where I was the recruiting manager, I picked a candidate because she said she has been trying to enter an International NGO for years and couldn't that's why she traveled for almost 600 km to attend the interview. This somehow reminded me of my struggle years back, hence, she got the job even though she wasn't the best.

Wow!

Anyway, I don't agree with you that most advertisers already have an 'internal candidate' to fill a position. Say a few, but never most.
I'm not surprised you gave the job to the lady though. I guess she was good enough for the job.

1 Like

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 09, 2018
[quote author=greygoblings post=70118853]

There is something important people should know about interviews... Firstly, the list by the OP will put you in a pretty good position to landing a job but it is not a guarantee, there might be others who performed better than you did. Secondly, most organizations advertise and post jobs for "the sake of doing". They already have an internal candidate to fill that role. So no matter how you perform, you will not get the role. And finally, a recruiter might just like something about a particular candidate for some unusual reason. The candidate might not be the best but is the most liked by the recruiting manager. I have been guilty of the latter. During an interview where I was the recruiting manager, I picked a candidate because she said she has been trying to enter an International NGO for years and couldn't that's why she traveled for almost 600 km to attend the interview. This somehow reminded me of my struggle years back, hence, she got the job even though she wasn't the best.[/quote]
Then you are not objective but subjective

1 Like

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by israelmao(m): 9:34am On Aug 09, 2018
Thumb up.In this clime we don't slay or engage in unprofitable entertainment but add more knowledge to ourselves.
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Darkseid(m): 9:36am On Aug 09, 2018
PatrickOkunima:
I'll like to ask something. Let's say you went for an interview with about three other people and each took about 30 minutes. During your turn, the interview went very well, the interviewers were happy and they really enjoyed the conversation but yours lasted only ten minutes instead of thirty; is it a bad sign?
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by Kookny(m): 9:44am On Aug 09, 2018
jaywhoco:
yeah. like saying 'am' instead of 'I am'...

This is not an error in speech...

It is only an error in writing.

3 Likes

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by greygoblings(m): 9:46am On Aug 09, 2018
[quote author=asuustrike2009 post=70119196][/quote]

My point exactly, this happens sometimes and it is the reality.
Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by emaopel: 9:48am On Aug 09, 2018
I wish you best of luck...They will definitely ask you different thing you can offer that can make the business grows
Zanotee:

1 Like

Re: Most Common Interview Blunders And How To Avoid Them by greygoblings(m): 9:50am On Aug 09, 2018
Darkseid:
I'll like to ask something. Let's say you went for an interview with about three other people and each took about 30 minutes. During your turn, the interview went very well, the interviewers were happy and they really enjoyed the conversation but yours lasted only ten minutes instead of thirty; is it a bad sign?

Actually, it can be a bad or a good sign. When interviewers are quick to let you go, then, it might mean they have already selected their candidate or you were not interesting. On the other hand, it can also mean before you were invited in, they have already selected you as their candidate and felt no need to ask much based on your Resume or cover letter. But the earlier most often holds sway.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Three Things That Will Ensure Your Value At Your Workplace / N-Power Beneficiaries Storm Abuja To Protest Over Unpaid Allowances / 200,000 Selected Unemployed Graduates To Start Work Soon - Vp Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.