Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,097 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Car Wont Rev Pass 5000rpm - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Car Wont Rev Pass 5000rpm (3508 Views)

SOLD SOLD Wont You Like To Take Dis Home(toks XLE Toyota Camry 2007) / Quick Sale!!!!very Clean LEXUS RX330 With Rev Cam..1.8m.. / A reg bmw x6 wit rev cam,nav & dvd wit a mill of 45k in abuja cal now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Wont Rev Pass 5000rpm by Abod(m): 7:38pm On Jun 21, 2010
Hello House,
Need help with my Honda Accord 98 Model V6. Won't rev pass 5000RPM on stationary and starts to jerk at that point in motion as well.
Any body know whats wrong with it? Auto experts in the house pls help.
Re: Car Wont Rev Pass 5000rpm by Onwan: 8:00pm On Jun 21, 2010
There are a bunch of things that can cause this BUT I think you need to start from the easiest part -

1. Checking the spark plugs and the plug wires
2. Mass Airflow system/filter/sensor (The big black hose connecting a box to the engine top)
3. Fuel system check is recommended - pump, hoses/pipes and filter
4. Throttle body cleanup
5. Just in case these dont solve it, then you might need to advance to the idle control sensor and throttle position sensor.

You could hook it up to a diag. machine after steps 1 and 2 though. EEL is there to help by coming to your location (Thats IF you dont have one)
Re: Car Wont Rev Pass 5000rpm by paulmamud(m): 11:40pm On Jun 21, 2010
just curious. why would you want your engine operating at such levels? whether stationary or in motion particularly considering tha age of tha car. doesn't seem advisable to me.
Re: Car Wont Rev Pass 5000rpm by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jun 21, 2010
paulmamud:

just curious. why would you want your engine operating at such levels? whether stationary or in motion particularly considering tha age of tha car. doesn't seem advisable to me.

Because that engine should redline at approx. 6,500rpm, and cut out at approx. 6,750.

5,000rpm in 5th (in a manual) would equate to about 111mph, which is what you'd expect the max to be with a 1,6L I4. Max speed of the Accord V6 should be around the 145mph mark, assuming it could pull 6,500rpm in 5th.

His car clearly has a problem, and Onwan's advice is what I would have given too.
Re: Car Wont Rev Pass 5000rpm by Onwan: 11:56pm On Jun 21, 2010
Another thing is that those things are marked out in multiples and the OP might not actually interprete the exacts BUT we get the picture.
Re: Car Wont Rev Pass 5000rpm by paulmamud(m): 12:03am On Jun 22, 2010
@ Siena
111 miles/H is about 180 kilometers/H in a 1998 car? why push it even in a new car and particularly in Naija which i assume is where the Op is. Sha, on my part even in a brand new car i wouldn't push it that far. isn't worth it. i seriously doubt if there is a 1998 car operating at optimum levels intended by Honda as to this to cause concern. My 2 cents
Re: Car Wont Rev Pass 5000rpm by Nobody: 12:27am On Jun 22, 2010
If that car's maximum engine rpm's are limited to 5,000, then it's probably got a fault / faults enough to put the ECU into limp-home mode. It is possible to have a car in limp-home without having a CEL. Engine / ECU faults should not be ignored, just because the car still runs. Small problems ignore have a habit of snowballing into big ones, enough to prevent the car from starting.

Limp-home mode means the engine will be running on a pretty basic map, with little variation, so won't vary much with load, rpm and pressure / vacuum. It will also make the engine thirstier than normal. Having an engine running at the optimum it is capable of, is not all about flat-out speed. It's about preventing major issues that could at best prevent the engine from running, or worse case scenario, lead to catastrophic failure.
Re: Car Wont Rev Pass 5000rpm by paulmamud(m): 12:29am On Jun 22, 2010
In English please grin
Re: Car Wont Rev Pass 5000rpm by paulmamud(m): 12:42am On Jun 22, 2010
Just kidding. off to bed now. @OP, let us know how it goes.

(1) (Reply)

2001 Audi A4 Going For Just 450k now 380 Last! sold. / Hot Sale: - Clean Registered 2008(direct) Rangerover Sports Suv Upgraded To 201 / Acura MDX 2015 Crown.. Sleek White @ 9.5m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.