Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,487 members, 7,850,686 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:18 AM

Onitsha Landlords And Their Criminal Acts Of Collecting "kolanut fees" tenants - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Onitsha Landlords And Their Criminal Acts Of Collecting "kolanut fees" tenants (357 Views)

Fraud Scandal Hits LIBC As MD, Tobi Lawal Accused Of Corruption, Criminal Acts / How I Pampered Myself After Collecting My Contribution Of 4 Months. / Mayowa Olukehinde Of Breach Menders Unreachable After Collecting ₦50 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Onitsha Landlords And Their Criminal Acts Of Collecting "kolanut fees" tenants by HisSexcellency(m): 9:25am On Aug 11, 2018
It's no longer a new thing for residents of onitsha and environs that before you pack into a new apartment/house, you will have to pay the landlord his ego oji "kolanut fee" else no house for you.

On several occasions i asked people the meaning of this unnecessary act of collecting money from new tenants in the guise of paying for kolanuts but no one seem to when it all started or the purpose of this payment. Some landlords collects "kolanut fees" as high as #150,000 for a 3bedroom apartment, and they insist that this money must be paid alongside the rent and then agency fee.
I have never heard of such payments anywhere else aside onitsha, and i would want the government of Willie Obiano to look into this criminal act perpetrated in broad daylight by robbing people of their hard earned money just because they want to rent a house.
A friend of mine had to pay #90,000 as "ego oji" on a 1bedroom apartment.

This has to stop and now is the best time.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Landlords And Their Criminal Acts Of Collecting "kolanut fees" tenants by Dreamkiller: 11:08am On Aug 11, 2018
where i come from that money is used to throw a party for other tenants to show that youve arrived. and you get welcomed if its a large compound. i mean food and drinks. but ive never heard of 150K or 90K, highest is 20 to 30k.
Re: Onitsha Landlords And Their Criminal Acts Of Collecting "kolanut fees" tenants by HisSexcellency(m): 6:06pm On Aug 11, 2018
Dreamkiller:
where i come from that money is used to throw a party for other tenants to show that youve arrived. and you get welcomed if its a large compound. i mean food and drinks. but ive never heard of 150K or 90K, highest is 20 to 30k.
Nobody throws any party here, it's all for their pockets.
How will a sane man collect #150,000 for kolanuts
And the annoying part is that it's a norm here,

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Dangote Oil Refinery May Be Delayed Till 2022 / Buy Amazon Gift Cards / YES! Essay Contest 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.