Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,634 members, 7,813,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. (21518 Views)

Super Eagles Remember Samuel Okwaraji Who Died While Playing Against Angola / NFF Remembers Samuel Okwaraji (Photos) / Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by naptu2: 8:16am On Aug 12, 2018
naptu2:
My dad and others were at the stadium, but I watched the match on tv at home. I saw when Okwaraji collapsed, when one of the players (I've forgotten who) put his hands on his head in alarm and when Okwaraji was stretchered into the ambulance. I assumed that he was alive and expected to read updates on his condition in the papers the next day.

I also saw as some fans were being carried over the fence and stretchered to the athletics track where Red Cross officials were attending to them. The stadium was too full and it seems that the gates were opened during the second half and there was a scuffle between people who were trying to get into the arena and people who were trying to get out. Some people suffocated, while others were trampled.

But my uncle (who played for Nigeria in the '50s and '60s) showed up at the house after the match. "Where is ****" (my dad). "He's not back", I replied.

"They've killed this boy o!", my uncle exclaimed. I asked who and he replied that Okwaraji was dead. I didn't believe him. "But they put him in the ambulance", I replied. My uncle grew angry. "Which ambulance? Which ambulance? The boy was dead on the pitch. The ambulance was just for show, so that the crowd wouldn't panic".

I still refused to believe him, but I didn't argue, because I could see that he was upset. Instead, I went to my room and prayed, hoped and wished that Okwaraji was still alive. But unfortunately, it was reported on the NTA News that Okwaraji was dead. cry

Okwaraji's super goal

This is my favourite goal by Okwaraji. I searched YouTube for a video of this goal from 2008 till 2016 before I eventually found one. That's because most people on YouTube prefer to post videos of the final, which was also between Nigeria and Cameroon.

This is a group stage match at the 1988 Nations Cup (Maroc '88) between Nigeria and Cameroon. Okwaraji scored in the second minute via a rocket shot from outside the penalty box (this is the kind of shot that Ernest Okonkwo would describe as an "intercontinental ballistic missile). It was the fastest goal at the Nations Cup at that time. The player that dribbled down the right and passed to Okwaraji was Rashidi Yekini.

Roger Milla equalised in the 21st minute, via a bullet header that beat Peter Rufai and it ended

Nigeria 1-1 Cameroon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9ZYHyTVwU

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by naptu2: 8:19am On Aug 12, 2018
naptu2:
Okwaraji's death was especially painful because of the nature of the man. At that time there was a dichotomy between the professional players and the home based players.

The professionals made a lot of demands before playing for the national teams. They often arrived camp and training sessions late (in flashy cars) and were always involved in one scandal or the other (eg Etim Esin).

Okwaraji was the opposite. He never caused any problems, often paid his own travel expenses, was always the first to get to camp and was never involved in any scandals. He was a devout christian and was studying for his law degree at an Italian university. He was actually playing in Italy (which most nigerians felt had the best league in the world at the time).

1) Samuel Okwaraji, Stephen Keshi, Peter Rufai and Coach Yusuf Salami during a Seoul '88 Olympic qualifier at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium in Enugu.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by dermmy(m): 8:40am On Aug 12, 2018
Rest on great Okwaraji

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by pol23: 8:41am On Aug 12, 2018
Samuel Okparaji and Orisabunmi on my 2A exercise book...
I was in pry 1 then.
Only ONWARD exercise book no put him picture for their book.
RIP to a legend.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by richeeyo(m): 8:41am On Aug 12, 2018
Good old days when Nigeria had a football team

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by dermmy(m): 8:43am On Aug 12, 2018
richeeyo:

So na head ball team dem get now abi? grin

19 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by sureheaven(m): 8:43am On Aug 12, 2018
A Legend will forever be a Legend.

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by yokiti: 8:44am On Aug 12, 2018
May your soul continue to rest in peace.
There was a song by Queen Salawa Abeni ( I guess)
o okwaraji o okwaraji
iwo ni kan lowo baba
iwo ni kan lowo mama ......

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by slimpoppa(m): 8:44am On Aug 12, 2018
May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by Jagz16(m): 8:44am On Aug 12, 2018
naptu2:

1) Samuel Okwaraji, Stephen Keshi, Peter Rufai and Coach Yusuf Salami during a Seoul '88 Olympic qualifier at the National Stadium in Lagos.
iffa hear say you go went to your room and prayed ...prayed ko prayer mantis ni

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by COOLDK(m): 8:44am On Aug 12, 2018
Oohhhhh Okwaraji

Ooooohhh okwaraji

Oohhhhh Okwaraji

Tan ban gba bolu lorun

Kogewon lege ara grin

Kolington Ayinla

28 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by adexgii(m): 8:45am On Aug 12, 2018
A great man
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by yokiti: 8:45am On Aug 12, 2018
Jagz16:
iffa hear say you go went to your room and prayed ...prayed ko prayer mantis ni
What are you insinuating here?

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by ikorodureporta: 8:47am On Aug 12, 2018
Na wa
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by BruncleZuma: 8:47am On Aug 12, 2018
Chai
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by YorubaAssasin: 8:47am On Aug 12, 2018
R.I.P to a top guy!
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by Nobody: 8:47am On Aug 12, 2018
smiley
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by MartinCorridon: 8:48am On Aug 12, 2018
Hey... Okwaraji

Iwonikan lomo...

Can't remember the rest of the song undecided

Yokiti....thanks, that's the song. I felt it was "hey" not "oh". Didn't even know who sang it

Rest in Peace, Okwaraji

7 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by UrennaWendy: 8:48am On Aug 12, 2018
Rest on Bro
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by Elvis295(m): 8:49am On Aug 12, 2018
Rest in peace bro
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by Nlearn: 8:49am On Aug 12, 2018
This is Nigeria

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by richeeyo(m): 8:50am On Aug 12, 2018
dermmy:

So na head ball team dem get now abi? grin
Bros you know naah, the kind team wa we get now hmmm
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by Melison(m): 8:50am On Aug 12, 2018
Rest on legend
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by Emmafe(m): 8:51am On Aug 12, 2018
RIP! Na paw paw full Suger Eagle’s squad now

For Samsung phones deal check my signature
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 12, 2018
angry
My elder brother told me he died cuz he fired a shot against India when India was beating Nigeria 99-0. That when he fired the shot the ball turned to stone.

Well, I decided to continue the fable so I told it to one of my younger brother too. This one just went straight to google it angry
He almost kill me with jest that day.

All the lies my big bro told me I can't even do same on my younger ones cuz of google.
And I can't take revenge on my big bro cuz he's now in the Military. angry

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by yokiti: 9:16am On Aug 12, 2018
MartinCorridon:
Hey... Okwaraji

Iwonikan lomo...

Can't remember the rest of the song undecided

Yokiti....thanks, that's the song. I felt it was "hey" not "oh". Didn't even know who sang it

Rest in Piece, Okwaraji
You are welcome.
O the song, uncle Naptu2 the thread's op can help us out.
By the way, we hope and pray he continues to rest in PEACE and not Piece.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by MartinCorridon: 9:21am On Aug 12, 2018
yokiti:

You are welcome.
O the song, uncle Naptu2 the thread's op can help us out.
By the way, we hope and pray he continues to rest in PEACE and not Piece.

Hahaha. Thanks for the correction.

I am used to trolling. My English isn't that bad. Thanks grin

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by kasynlives: 9:36am On Aug 12, 2018
Government should find a way to immortalize him,he died in active service for his country.
REST ON SAM

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by theoldpretender(m): 9:40am On Aug 12, 2018
richeeyo:

Nigeria squads in the 1980-90 period were 'good', but they usually found it hard to qualify for the World Cup....and they missed the 1986 Nations Cup.

But record wise...

Nations Cup 80 CHAMPIONS!
Nations Cup 82: Out in first round (and lost to Algeria in the World Cup Qualifiers.).
Nations Cup 84 : Lost 3-1 to Cameroon in the final at Abidjan (Yuck).
Nations Cup 86: DNQ
Nations Cup 88: Lost 1-0 to Cameroon in Maroc. in the final.
Nations Cup 90: Lost 1-0 to Algeria in the final in Algeria.

Kind of mixed..in a way.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by Galacious1: 9:43am On Aug 12, 2018
J
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by Galacious1: 9:43am On Aug 12, 2018
abiodunalasa:
angry
My elder brother told me he died cuz he fired a shot against India when India was beating Nigeria 99-0. That when he fired the shot the ball turned to stone.

Well, I decided to continue the fable so I told it to one of my younger brother too. This one just went straight to google it angry
He almost kill me with jest that day.

All the lies my big bro told me I can't even do same on my younger ones cuz of google.
And I can't take revenge on my big bro cuz he's now in the Military. angry
pls revenge. Pls

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. by kingkoboko: 9:44am On Aug 12, 2018
Sam Okwaraji didn't play in d legendary India Vs Nigeria match. But he witnessed it as a small boy.

@abiodunalasa @galacious1 @naptu2 @theoldpretender

If u want 2read d full story FREE, whatsapp my agent on 09095000603. Jst tell him: pls sir send me d India Vs Nigeria book.

Promo lasts dis August.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Leonel Alvarez Sacked For Sleeping With Patty Gonzalez, Edgar Benitez Wife / Rivers United Best Nigerian Club In 2017, Rank Higher Than Crystal Palace, / World Cup-bound Referee, Facundo Tello Shows 10 Red Cards In Argentina Cup Final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.