Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? (13629 Views)

Useful Tips On How To Groom A Horse / 7 Things All Parents Should Know Before Enrolling A Child In Nigerian Schools / More On Kim Ung- Yong, The Man Who Scored Highest Ever On An IQ Test As A Child. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by YoungDaddyB: 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2018
This is from personal experience.
Medicine is no longer the it course. below is my ranking of future it courses

1. Computer, Programming or software Engineering
2. Medicine
3. Pharmacy and Nursing others Med lab, rehab etc
4. Law ( has strong potential but has not reached that level yet, back up is to apply to NGOs or politics)
5. Engineering and Mathematics ( Very diverse opportunities, strong salary , good job prospect)
6. Banking and finance, Business Administration
7. Entrepreneurship
8. Art and Sports
9. others.

Medicine is not as rosy as it seems, ask a doctor and they will tell you especially in Nigeria. 70% of doctors are trying to write Medicine qualifying exams in other countries everyday.
housemanship is becoming hard, too much politics in medicine.

60% of doctors say they would choose another career path if given a second chance, according to Medscape.com.
its no surprise Harvard has introduced a medicine/ MBA course to open up the rising number of doctors leaving medicine to Business or IT start ups.

I would advice you of all things to instill in your Kids One is God and 2. Mathematics.
mathematics makes a good background in science and business.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by sweetmusic12: 2:18pm On Aug 13, 2018
There are some friends I call, friends of destiny. These are the ones to initiate your child's development into his desired career. Teach your child to stay close with such friends or better still register your child into dedicated school of science.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by micflo28(m): 2:56pm On Aug 13, 2018
Get them a home lesson teacher, have them be science inclined at the SS level, the lesson teacher must be good at core science subjects like chemistry, physics, biology so they make an impressive result in waec and jamb for medicine and surgery
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 13, 2018
Cumtroller:
Your kids will never be doctors. Sad truth is they won’t turn out to be anything great in life - just like their father.
you are sick. Useless pig.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Kenfil(f): 3:47pm On Aug 13, 2018
Rachelose:
Am a single mum, i discussed with my girl from her primary school about my love for science subjects and medicine as a profession (even tho maths still makes me cringe, so i jejely went to art). i noticed she's good with the science subjects and she wanted to become a nurse. when i discussed further wit her, i noticed she was just scared of medicine thats y shes settling for nursing...i encouraged her towards medicine..i buy books for her. Shes in ss2 now and doing fine. I believe she'll make it a Medical student. Pls i did not [b]pressurize [/b]her. i only encouraged her towards a bigger dream. grin

With due respect. I have one question. So is she wanting to be a nurse not a bigger dream? Wow
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by manikspears: 3:51pm On Aug 13, 2018
this is wrong very wrong,why do you want to play God in the poor kid's life?do you want him to get depressed and probably commit suicide because you want him to achieve your dreams.may God have mercy on your soul.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Maj196(m): 4:04pm On Aug 13, 2018
You are already spelling doom for your kids. Let them decide their future themselves.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by savvyiwo: 5:22pm On Aug 13, 2018
start talking to them about it. tell them what you want from them. when start SSS, hire home tutors for the science subjects like Physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, etc. if they do well in the science subjects it's easier for them.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by ikbnice(m): 5:42pm On Aug 13, 2018
ImaIma1:
[quvote author=ikbnice post=70223023]
Lovely movie.

Parents fail in this area. They keep pushing their children and trying to live their lives through their children and using their children to correct some mistakes they made in their own lives.

What we should do as parents is to create a wide space for our children to explore and develop natural gifts and talents.

They will excel better rather than when we try to treat them like zombies.
You gat it. I see no reason why we force profession on children. A know a girl right now who is just a natural lawyer, even her friends call her the law. She's only 12 but her parents keep telling her that she would be doctor. Although, if forced to go for medicine,she may excel because of her brilliancy but the passion will never be there. That's one big problem we have in Nigeria,many in the profession they never even like.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by lilyheaven: 5:52pm On Aug 13, 2018
lipsrsealed
You are just right, imagine using that money and time to learn trade
czarina:
I dunno sha, but my neighbor who is a doctor sometimes wonder if it's worth it. Yes, a noble profession but he says he'd have affected more people if he had been more business savvy and had the money pouring in. That way, instead of hoping to contribute to as an individual, he could buy the services of the professionals. Sounds simplistic but I think it's the truth. Why spend 8 - 9yrs at the University to end up with a shitty pay(I feel so sorry for many young doctors based in Nigeria).
Do you know how much they'd rake in if the had learnt or practiced something profitable in those years they spent in school? They would have the financial ability to help more people since most in their early years go into it for humanistic ideals.

That said sha, some people have to be the doctors or else, who will be paid by the "real money makers" to undertake charitable courses ?

All the best to your kids.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by jefy(m): 10:02pm On Aug 13, 2018
Lolz ,seriously, it seems some of these posters don't read between the lines...i can see so much venting of their frustration on a topic that ought to be educational and informative... Ok,let me spell it out clear enough...'' I WILL NEVER FORCE MY KIDS TO A CAREER PART THAT THEY ARE NOT COMFORTABLE IN OR WITH'' I can only encourage and direct them..... Check out the total views so far,it sure rings a bell. Parents out there are curious to know as well. Your well articulated comments will go a long way to help inform someone out there...gracias you all for your contributions...for those spewing shit,i understand your kind. It's normal with humanity...what can we do but to bear the excesses of you mentally unstable lots.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by jefy(m): 10:10pm On Aug 13, 2018
YoungDaddyB:

2. Medicine
4. Law ( has strong potential but has not reached that level yet, back up is to apply to NGOs or politics)
5. Engineering and Mathematics ( Very diverse opportunities, strong salary , good job prospect)
7. Entrepreneurship
8. Art and Sports
9. others.

Medicine is not as rosy as it seems, ask a doctor and they will tell you especially in Nigeria. 70% of doctors are trying to write Medicine qualifying exams in other countries everyday.

60% of doctors say they would choose another career path if given a second chance, according to Medscape.com.
its no surprise Harvard has introduced a medicine/ MBA course to open up the rising number of doctors leaving medicine to Business or IT start ups.

I would advice you of all things to instill in your Kids One is God and 2. Mathematics.

wow,cool and timely too.just the kind of post i'd hoped for.. Thanks Bro

1 Like

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by fillagefiful: 8:22am On Aug 14, 2018
brodalikeme:
I guess many of the respondents here aren’t parents yet, if not the comments would have been different. Which parent will not guide his or her children? If this isn’t true, Nigeria would have produced an astronaut by now.

She said medical profession una dey complain, if she say prostitution now, una go shout pass.

Lolz! My first son dreams of nothing if not to become an astronaut. He will be in SS2 next month. I don't know what to do oo.
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by fillagefiful: 8:26am On Aug 14, 2018
YoungDaddyB:

2. Medicine
7. Entrepreneurship
8. Art and Sports
9. others.

Arguably the most matured post in response to the topic. Thank you for the maturity.

2 Likes

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Rachelose(f): 11:06am On Aug 14, 2018
medicine is a bigger dream than nursing just as nursing is a bigger dream to auxiliary nurse...imo i guess
Kenfil:

With due respect. I have one question. So is she wanting to be a nurse not a bigger dream? Wow
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by Evangkatsoulis: 11:23am On Aug 14, 2018
ikbnice:
You gat it. I see no reason why we force profession on children. A know a girl right now who is just a natural lawyer, even her friends call her the law. She's only 12 but her parents keep telling her that she would be doctor. Although, if forced to go for medicine,she may excel because of her brilliancy but the passion will never be there. That's one big problem we have in Nigeria,many in the profession they never even like.

Which one is natural lawyer again? That she argues too much or what?
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by MafianOutlawz(m): 11:31am On Aug 14, 2018
*Mom killed my tomorrow*

They call it spiritual, 
They call it ethical. 
They call it universal, 
They call it motherly. 
They call it usual,
They call it mutual. 

shut your eyes, and think of your tomorrow.
Shut you mouth, and speak less of sorrow. 
Take a bold step, and aim forward, 
You know your tomorrow. 

September 1999, it all started. 
In the white house of "stitches and newcomers".
My cry filled the theater,
I was successfully born. 

Like the three "idiots",
Dad carried me, and called me a doctor, 
Mom looked at me, and called me a nurse,
Leaving me with no choice of my own. 

I grew up, loving what i hate, 
And forced to cherish what gives me agony. 
Mom wants me to do her wish, 
Dad wouldnt let go off me.

They thought they were making me better, 
Rather, they were killing me within. 
Call me dad! 
For he couldn't see my future. 
Call me mom! 
For killing my tomorrow. 

Chemistry was made breakfast,
And biology was made my lunch. 
Physics  was made my dinner, 
Wished they made my choice, the last supper. 

Mom scolded me for failing, 
Dad blasted me for repeating. 
Have they forgotten  i got an "A" in literature, 
And a distinction in English. 

They tore my essays, and called them trash. 
They tore my poems, and swept them out. 
They sold doughnuts with my storybook, 
And turned my drawing book,  to weed wrappers. 

They wasted their money on tutors, 
And paid millions on tuitions.
They took me to the best,
While i fall behind the rest. 

Suddenly! Michael gained admission. 
Mom could no longer watch me, sit my ass at home.
Special center became my home, 
And expo my half brother. 

At last i gained admission!
To study medicine and surgery . 
Daddy was happy, 
And mommy was joyous.

I knw i wouldnt make it there, 
I knew i was going to fail. 
But mom had "long legs",
she could not watch me fail.

I was depressed and dead within, 
I smiled and laughed though. 
I was not even sure of my future, 
Because those i call family, tampered with it. 

I did 7 courses, but happily, i passed one. 
I took interest in GNS101, and got an A. 
Medical courses were written in "Latins",
Words my brain cant comprehend.

Mom "long legs" pulled enough strings, 
And her connection got the right people. 
My results were upgraded,
And i was ironically among the best. 

Years went by, with no experience. 
Semesters went by, with no knowledge of medicine.
Blame me not, i have no interest. 
laugh me not, mum pushed me into this. 

I graduated as one of the best, 
Thanks to mum's strings.
I finally fufilled dad's wish, 
And made mom dream come through. 

She got the name she craves "iya doctor",
And the praises she had always wanted.
She was exalted,as the mother of the best doctor, 
Little did they know the magnitude of what she has done. 

Finally, the deal day came!
The Senator was rushed in,
They shouted Emergency!  emergency! 
And they called me to prepare for his treatment. 

With fear, i cautiously walked to his ward. 
And i carefully administered formaldehyde , glutaraldehyde , methanol , to the sick senator, 
Little did i know they were only used in preserving the dead. 

The senator was later reported dead, 
And an autopsy was carried out.
They saw my flaws, and got me arrested for manslaughter,
Now i am here awaiting judgement. 

The fierce looking judge had no pity,
i saw his scornful face. 
Face that spelt death, 
And a lip, that gives judgement. 

He blamed me for my ignorance, 
And sentenced me to death. 
I looked at mom with regrets, 
"Had she known"
Thank mom for killing my tomorrow, 
Thank dad for sponsoring my death.

I should have resisted when i was old enough, 
But my religion said "obey thy mother and thy father, so thy day may be long"

*#FIGHT FOR YOUR FUTURE *
*#MAKE YOUR PASSION YOUR PROFESSION*
*#DONT LET PEOPLE DICTATE YOUR FUTURE,*
*#LIFE HARDLY GIVES A SECOND CHANCE.*

2 Likes

Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by jefy(m): 12:15pm On Aug 14, 2018
Wow,am glad this post isn't one sided,so much lessons to be learnt,,kudos to all the contributors and the last before me,poetically delivered. Lessons learnt and apprecited..almost the aim of this thread, in NL's voice,IF YOU KNOW,YOU KNOW
Re: How To Groom A Child For The Medical Profession? by ikbnice(m): 5:49pm On Aug 18, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

Which one is natural lawyer again? That she argues too much or what?
not that she argues too much but the way she argues and analyzes points sensibly, you'll surely knw it a gift. It comes to her naturally even if she isnt prepared for the situation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Apply For Eira Davies Scholarship For African Students / Photos: Yinka Ayefele’s Handsome Son Graduates From Howard University / Delsu Admission 2013/2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.