Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,149 members, 7,842,305 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

Urgent Help Needed In Fixing 2000 VW Passat V6 2.8l 30v Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Urgent Help Needed In Fixing 2000 VW Passat V6 2.8l 30v Engine (947 Views)

Between Corolla 1.8L & Jetta 1.6 Which Is More Fuel Economical? / Man Spotted Fixing A Faulty Cab In Motion In Lagos: Video / 1.5L, 1.8L, 3.0L Engine? What Do They Mean In Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Help Needed In Fixing 2000 VW Passat V6 2.8l 30v Engine by noel76(m): 5:34pm On Aug 14, 2018
I have a 2000 VW passat v6 2.8l engine, converted from auto to manual gear. Almost 3 years ago the timing belt snapped in cus of trying to restart it some of d valves got bent so wen I discovered this I had to park it cus of cost involved. So about a month ago I decided to fix it so I contacted d mech who dropped d cylinder head and about 12 bent valves were replaced after installation of d valves and head we cranked d car allowed it to run for about 30 mins, bleed d car and coupled d front so when we were about to drive out to test drive d belt snapped again so I was advice to go for a new belt but when I got to d MKT I was told to buy a Belgium belt cos I can't get a genuine new belt. So I bought another foreign clean used belt. Upon installation we started d car BT d valves were making noise so d mech. Said we shud drive it round dat d valves might adjust since its self adjustable valves so upon installation of d front parts when I cranked d car it refuse to start when checked d belt it was discovered that it has snapped again. Please gurus in d house wat cud be d cause of d continuous snapping of d timing belt after replacement.,
Re: Urgent Help Needed In Fixing 2000 VW Passat V6 2.8l 30v Engine by caprini1: 5:58pm On Aug 14, 2018
Trust me and just sell the car off. Don't let anyone start giving you crap ,about the car being a German machine and all that nonsense.

I had same issues with my golf 4,after buying engines and gear boxes thrice. ,I was carelessly chatting with a friend in the US,and he told me most of Vw products have unredeemable engine and other issues,he even said they have a desert where Vw cars are recalled and abandoned.

Just forget about the car.
Re: Urgent Help Needed In Fixing 2000 VW Passat V6 2.8l 30v Engine by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:20pm On Aug 14, 2018
Order an OEM timing belt from amazon or chispareparts and try again. This time make sure the timing is set to the manufacturers specs.
Re: Urgent Help Needed In Fixing 2000 VW Passat V6 2.8l 30v Engine by noel76(m): 7:41pm On Aug 14, 2018
tongue
tensazangetsu20:
Order an OEM timing belt from amazon or chispareparts and try again. This time make sure the timing is set to the manufacturers specs.
I don't think d timing is d problem cos d car start and run well.
Re: Urgent Help Needed In Fixing 2000 VW Passat V6 2.8l 30v Engine by sultaan(m): 7:52pm On Aug 14, 2018
noel76:
tongue
I don't think d timing is d problem cos d car start and run well.

My brother open your mind to the fact that you and your mechanic don't know what you are doing.

If your valves are still good and adjusted properly and you can put your money on that fact, the problem is you are not using a timing belt kit, buy a timing kit on Amazon, it has all the parts you should replace nor just the belt only. It includes a tensioner which is the culprit in your case and guides.

You belt might look tight when installed but when running tesioner is weak cause the belt to slip on sprockets turning 1000 rpm and that will act like a circular saw

2 Likes

Re: Urgent Help Needed In Fixing 2000 VW Passat V6 2.8l 30v Engine by noel76(m): 9:04pm On Aug 14, 2018
sultaan:

My brother open your mind to the fact that you and your mechanic don't know what you are doing.

If your valves are still good and adjusted properly and you can put your money on that fact, the problem is you are not using a timing belt kit, buy a timing kit on Amazon, it has all the parts you should replace nor just the belt only. It includes a tensioner which is the culprit in your case and guides.

You belt might look tight when installed but when running tesioner is weak cause the belt to slip on sprockets turning 1000 rpm and that will act like a circular saw

I believe there will b bent valves cos wen this last belt was installed I heard d valves tapping he then told to rev d engine b4 turning it off which I did it was after installing d front bumper wen I cranked d car twice DAT it was discovered that d belt has snapped. What's d cost of getting d belt kit from amazon and how do I go abt it tanks.
Re: Urgent Help Needed In Fixing 2000 VW Passat V6 2.8l 30v Engine by 9icetoo(m): 5:25am On Aug 15, 2018
You have to change the timing belt roller/tensioner along with the belt. Get a new genuine belt which will come with a kit as stated by sultaan else you will keep spending money changing belt valves or might even have replace a piston. If not sell the car.
Re: Urgent Help Needed In Fixing 2000 VW Passat V6 2.8l 30v Engine by noel76(m): 6:59pm On Aug 16, 2018
9icetoo:
You have to change the timing belt roller/tensioner along with the belt. Get a new genuine belt which will come with a kit as stated by sultaan else you will keep spending money changing belt valves or might even have replace a piston. If not sell the car.
Ok tanks how do I go about getting the genuine kits

(1) (Reply)

2019 Bentley's Will Come With World’s First Super-fast Secure In-car Wifi Option / Helpful Tips On How To Identify Automotive Fluid Leaks / 4 Signals Of A Poor Car Thermostat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.