Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

OAU English Post Ume Past Question For 2006 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU English Post Ume Past Question For 2006 (1196 Views)

Funke Adejumo Donates N100,000 To OAU English Students / Closed / Information About LASU Admission/Resumption for 2006 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

OAU English Post Ume Past Question For 2006 by Raylight2(m): 1:07pm On Jun 23, 2010
[size=15pt][center]POST JAMB TEST 2006[/center][/size]

[center]OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSTY, ILE-IFE[/center]

From the alternatives suggested, select the answer that best expresses the same meaning as the expression italicized in each exercise

1.   Don’t take the plate away; it is possible for the owner to ask for it
(a)   the owner might
(b)   the owner can
(c)   the owner is going to
(d)   the owner will come to
(e)   none of them

Answer = A

2.   I wonder if you would allow me to put out the fire
(a)   I might
(b)   I can
(c)   I should
(d)   I have to
(e)   All of them

Answer = B

3.   When your great-grandmother was in Vietnam, did she have the ability to speak Chinese?
(a)   had she been able
(b)   was she enable
(c)   could she
(d)   how possible was it for her
(e)   None of them

Answer = C

4.   I know a carpenter that knows how to make that kind of wardrobe
(a)   could
(b)   has the know-how
(c)   can
(d)   can be able
(e)   may be able

Answer = C

5.   Frances, where is your male visitor? Don’t lie to me; it is not possible that he has gone through the high windows
(a)   he couldn’t have
(b)   he can’t have
(c)   he shouldn’t
(d)   he mustn’t have
(e)   None of them

Answer = A

6.   My father made no bones about telling his friend how he felt about his behaviour. This means that my father
(a)   spoke well to his friend about his behaviour
(b)   spoke honestly to his friend about his behaviour
(c)   spoke in the open to his friend about his behaviour
(d)   spoke hesitantly to his friend about is behaviour
(e)   spoke with all his might to his friend about his behaviour

Answer = B

7.    After much talk, my brother thought it was time to talk to hit the hay. This means that my brother thought it was time to
(a)   make hay while the sub  shines
(b)   burn the collection of hay
(c)   go to bed
(d)   keep quiet
(e)   tell the others off

Answer = C

8.   The housemaster was foaming in the mouth when he discovered that some students had sneaked out of the hostel. This means the headmaster
(a)   was very sad
(b)   had epilepsy
(c)   became silent and calculative
(d)   was uncontrollably furious
(e)   was jittery

Answer = D

9.   Who told Mabel she could sing? She really laid an egg at the talent show. This means
(a)   Mabel’s performance was very embarrassing
(b)   Mabel’s performance was very interesting
(c)   Mabel’s performance was very impressive
(d)   Mabel’s performance was very bad
(e)   Mabel’s performance was like that of a hen laying egg

Answer = A.

10.   Mr. Johnson is on the warpath because his car broke down again. This means that Mr. Johnson is
(a)   ready to fight his mechanic
(b)   started fighting the government because the road was bad
(c)   very infuriated
(d)   fighting a war with his family in the car
(e)   drawing  a battle in between him and his mechanic

Answer = C

Choose the appropriate option to complete the following

11.   At the crusade, we prayed to God ………………, us on us
(a)   breath his breathe
(b)   breathe his breath on us
(c)   breathe his breathe
(d)   breath his breath

Answer = B
Breathe is a verb, breath is a noun. Be careful not to confuse both with breadth, the opposite of length

12.   The Chairman, Committee of Deans needs to see your friend Dele urgently, do you know his ………?

(a)   where and about
(b)   whereabouts
(c)   whereabout
(d)   where and abouts

Answer = B
The question is from Pluralia Tantums. Whereabouts must have an s; not whereabout. Other words like whereabouts are: surroundings, holidays, earnings, archives, premises, spirits (meaning: mood) wages, headquarters, ashes, arrears, annals, auspices, odds, riches, remains (dead body), regards, outskirts, banns (announcement of coming marriage) and troops.

13.   “As from now, this university will have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice”, said the Vice-chancellor. The Vice-Chancellor said that

(a)   as from then, this university would have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice
(b)   as from now, this university would have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice
(c)   as from then, his university will have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice
(d)   as from then, that university would begin to have zero tolerance for any form of malpractice

Answer = D
The question is from Reported Speech. Notice that now has changed to then, this has changed to that, will changed to would.
All verbs must change, in indirect / reported speech to the past form.

14.   The teacher took me for one of those students who could not spell words as

(a)   ‘miscelanous and mainainance’
(b)   ‘miscelaneous and meintainance’
(c)   ‘miscellaneous and maintenance’
(d)   ‘miscellanous and maintainance’

Answer = C
The question is from orthography and spellings.

15.   God should take control of the heart of the organizers of this Post-UME screening exercise, they should not make this test …………………than UME

(a)   more tough
(b)   more tougher
(c)   much tougher
(d)   more much tougher

Answer = C
The question is from comparative of adjectives. Tougher is already a comparative adjective and needs no more before it but it can take much before it to show that it is not only / ordinarily tougher but much (a lot,) tougher than the previous.

From the words lettered A – E, choose the word that is alike in meaning to the word emboldened.

16.   Andrew made some bellicose statement about his strength to other boys in the street. This means that Andrew
(a)   is a brave man
(b)   wishes to fight
(c)   is a coward
(d)   loves to help others with his power
(e)   has a lot of power

Answer = B
This question is about Diction. Bellicosity is eagerness to fight.

17.   The excuse that he forgot about the meeting was a flimsy one. This means that the excuse was
(a)   very bad
(b)   a complete lie
(c)   difficult to believe
(d)   not important
(e)   a very good one

Answer = B
The question is about Diction.

18.   Scrupulous politicians do not have a place in the Nigerian politics. Scrupulous politicians are

(a)   honest
(b)   dishonest
(c)   corrupt
(d)   good-natured
(e)   insincere

Answer = A
The question is about Diction. Scrupulous means, having the qualities of fairness and honesty; not willing to do wrong.

19.   The woman was happy because her gorgeous dressing made her quite obtrusive. The woman was very
(a)   appreciated
(b)   proud
(c)   good
(d)   noticeable
(e)   excellent

Answer = D
The question is about semantics.

20.   The man is known to be a sly. I won’t trust him with anything. This means the man is known as a
(a)   deceiver
(b)   thief
(c)   kidnapper
(d)   rogue
(e)   burglar

Answer = A
The question is about Diction. Sly is an adjective as, not a noun as it has been used in the question.

From Questions 21 – 25, choose among the options A – E the word that is nearest in meaning to the italicized words in each of the sentences.

To get more on UNILAG, OAU, UNIOSUN and others visit:

[url]http://forum.visionitesmagazine.com/index.php/board,28.0.html[/url].

I posted this so that we all will know the kind of english questions they do set.

(1) (Reply)

Its For Real Not Scam Get Your Invitation Letter In 2weeks / Unilag Entrance Exam Format (m.sc Accounting) / Experiecend Secondary School Teachers Are Needed In A Private School In Ikotun L

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.