Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,111 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop (3593 Views)

How To Ping Bb Users With Pc / How To Browse Free With Pc Using Your Fone As A Wireless Router / Vista Works Best With 4GB RAM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by tunnex190: 5:59pm On Jun 23, 2010
I want to know which modem of internet providers (be it mtn, zain, etisalat, multi-link, starcomm, etc) works best with the system/laptop in terms of data plan, usage, tariff plan, expiration, speed connection, and others.
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by jaysay(m): 2:21pm On Jun 25, 2010
if you want my candid opinion; the answer in no one.

the spped and connection of the networks depends on where you use it more, what you do (your data needs), how often you stay online and some other vital info. I can offer you a users advice. I have used zain, glo, etisalt, mtn, stracomms, and zoom. they all have different adge and advantages.
If you can say what your need is, I will be able to give you information you can use. cheers
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by btegler: 8:21pm On Jun 26, 2010
Hey Jaysay,

I work in Ibadan and Abuja, currently using Zain loading N1000 for 100MB, this is good for 30 days but I usually use up my account in about 2 weeks,

Zain can be pretty frustrating, often takes me several tries to log on to my email, I have found disconnecting and reconnecting often gets me a better connection. This is NOT a 3G service, log on speed is about 240Kbps.

I understand Starcomm may be faster, it is also alot more expensive at least N6000/month I think.

What do you recommend for mobile internet if you are travelling around Nigeria a lot for business?

Cheers, Brent.
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by jaysay(m): 7:25am On Jun 27, 2010
hi,
I came to ibadan yesterday for a weekend visit. I slot in my zain modem in the evening and the connection was a little bit poor. I waited till 10pm and slot in my mtn cause I subscribed to nite plan (3GB costing NGN2,500). Initially it connected, got disconnected, and i had to reconnect, but from 12am it becaME STAble. I got up to 2,800kbps (2.8mbbs), that is about the fastest speed i have gotten on MTN till date. It was around UI/Agbowo in Ibadan.

I guess you should try MTN for Ibadan, zain is still working on their 3g and the 3g is still limited.

Right now am replying this post with my zain modem internt browsing. the speed is about 148kbps. Have fun and keep exploring you will get to a fairer destination soon. finally, no network is the best as far as Nigeria is concern, but i will call MTn the local champion. cheers.
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by btegler: 3:17pm On Jun 27, 2010
Hey Jaysay,

Sounds like you were in my neighbourhood I live just outside UI in Agbowo, small world.

You say you subscribe to MTN, is that a pre-paid monthly plan?

Yeah when I get a steady 148Kbps out of my Zain that it is enough, trouble is like right now watch the stats I see it is barely ticking over at less than 15 Kbps, sheesh and I pay for this?

Will look in to MTN, the reason I avoided MTN was I thought there might be too many subscribers eating up all the band width!

Cheers, Brent.
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by suxes2005(m): 3:25pm On Jun 27, 2010
@jaysay, do u mean mtn fastlink is ok?
Though u said dey av diff adv nd disadv but i
live somewhere around Akute (Lagos-Ogun suburb)
very close to Berger. So can i go for mtn?

SHALOM
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by tunnex190: 6:21pm On Jun 27, 2010
Thanks for the response. How much is the mtn fastlink? And can someone tell me the charging plans?
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by jaysay(m): 11:17pm On Jun 27, 2010
@suxes2005,
read the post i sent before this one. i don't know the service strenght where you say. but what internet connectiona re you currently using?
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by suxes2005(m): 8:49am On Jun 28, 2010
^^^^^^^6

OF course i read it. I use xcomms now in d office
so i am connectin at home now

SHALOM
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by tunnex190: 8:21am On Jun 29, 2010
Someone should answer my question
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by suxes2005(m): 11:34am On Jun 29, 2010
@Poster, for tariff, i fink multi-links
is d cheapest i av seen with 3400 for a month
(50 hours).

I fink dey are ok

Just continue checkin

SHALOM
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by jaysay(m): 7:23pm On Jun 30, 2010
@tunex190,

Mtn fastlink is NGn8,500
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by tunnex190: 7:57am On Jul 02, 2010
Thanks for the reply. How does mtn fast link charge? And does it count on data download?
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by jaysay(m): 6:06pm On Jul 02, 2010
there is limit for data downloads,

MTN 24hrs 50mb, NGN500
MTN night plan 10pm tp 5am 3GB (3074mb), NGN2,500
MTN 24hrs monthly 3GB (3074mb), NGN10,000.

It is quite fast except when their is network challenge.
Re: Which Modem Works Best With Pc/laptop by tunnex190: 10:07pm On Jul 03, 2010
Thanks so much. i really appreciate it man.

(1) (Reply)

Driver Detective Version: 6.5.0.14 Working Serial Needed / Verizon V620 Pc Card Drivers For Vista: / God Bless Airtel, Low Internet Tariff And Low Call Rate 12 Per Minute.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.