Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,606 members, 7,816,506 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? (579 Views)

From An Atheist To A Strong Believer - How I Met God... / What Can You Tell An Atheist To Believe There Is God? / How Attending Xperience13 Turned Me From An Atheist To A Believer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by Reality11: 3:01pm On Aug 17, 2018
As atheists, we have reasons for not believing in the god concept, or the notion of religion which most of the world believe in.
We reasoned that the whole ideas didn't add up, and people believe in such ideas to serve as placeholder for explaining phenomenon or things they are ignorant of.

Out there, their are people whom once had this thoughts. But now have had believe in the ideas of transcend being that created all, or personal god and or even adhering to the teachings and beliefs of an organized religion.

My question is, what made you abjure your position, after all the reasons you once had for disbelieving the idea of god, and finding most religious teaching, books and doctrine to be absurd, illogical, unreasonable, hilarious, harmful and so on.

Also how and why did you arrive at your current position(believer)?
Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by nellyelitz(m): 3:26pm On Aug 17, 2018
Any one like that?
Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by hopefulLandlord: 3:37pm On Aug 17, 2018
This thread would be dry
Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by iupac120: 3:43pm On Aug 17, 2018
Reality11:
As atheists, we have reasons for not believing in the god concept, or the notion of religion which most of the world believe in.
We reasoned that the whole ideas didn't add up, and people believe in such ideas to serve as placeholder for explaining phenomenon or things they are ignorant of.

Out there, their are people whom once had this thoughts. But now have had believe in the ideas of transcend being that created all, or personal god and or even adhering to the teachings and beliefs of an organized religion.

My question is, what made you abjure your position, after all the reasons you once had for disbelieving the idea of god, and finding most religious teaching, books and doctrine to be absurd, illogical, unreasonable, hilarious, harmful and so on.

Also how and why did you arrive at your current position(believer)?
Love!
This Love is beyond explanation.
Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by Reality11: 3:45pm On Aug 17, 2018
iupac120:

Love!
This Love is beyond explanation.

Can you paraphrase?
Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by Reality11: 3:52pm On Aug 17, 2018
nellyelitz:
Any one like that?

I hope they show up.
It surprises me how an atheists would convert to Christianity or Islam. Serious!

1 Like

Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by LastDays777: 5:51pm On Aug 17, 2018
Am going to make it short. This happened in my family

My brother, hard core atheist in the past. Always insulted our parents because they couldn't understand him. He opened my eyes to a lot of dark secret in the catholic church which is true. He knows stuff and he reads a lot. He did a lot of research and discovered the deception in the church. He stopped talking to our parents and did not even care to visit them. But we kept praying for him

Few years ago he was arrested for something and was locked up in the station. Spent some days there until one night he heard a dream which was very real to him. According to him, "I saw someone in shining white approach me and touched me. When I woke up in the morning, it was as if something left me" . He confessed to the police about what happened that lead to the crime. It helped in the investigation and he was released.

My brother went to meet our parents and apologised saying he didn't know what came over him. If you ask him about his position in God. He will smile and say you won't understand but there is God. He changed completely and he is very humble now. What really happened, we can't just explain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by hopefulLandlord: 5:56pm On Aug 17, 2018
LastDays777:

My brother, hard core atheist in the past. Always insulted our parents because they couldn't understand him. He opened my eyes to a lot of dark secret in the catholic church which is true. He knows stuff and he reads a lot. He did a lot of research and discovered the deception in the church. He stopped talking to our parents and did not even care to visit them. But we kept praying for him

Few years ago he was arrested for something and was locked up in the station. Spent some days there until one night he heard a dream which was very real to him. According to him, "I saw someone in shining white approach me and touched me. When I woke up in the morning, it was as if something left me" . He confessed to the police about what happened that lead to the crime. It helped in the investigation and he was released.

My brother went to meet our parents and apologised saying he didn't know what came over him. If you ask him about his position in God. He will smile and say you won't understand but there is God. He changed completely and he is very humble now. What really happened, we can't just explain.

Tell your brother to come and tell his story himself

OP didn't ask for who knows atheists that changed, he asked for atheists straight no middleman

4 Likes

Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by LastDays777: 6:02pm On Aug 17, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

OP didn't ask for who knows atheists that changed, he asked for atheists straight no middleman

That's fair. Apologies.
Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by CAPSLOCKED: 6:03pm On Aug 17, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

no middleman
SEEMS CONVERTS ARE ONLY FOUND IN FALSE NEWS ON CHRISTIAN WEBSITES.

1 Like

Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by hopefulLandlord: 6:04pm On Aug 17, 2018
LastDays777:

That's fair. Apologies.
Accepted sir

2 Likes

Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by hopefulLandlord: 6:09pm On Aug 17, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

I know a few atheists that became Christians and Muslims

but such are extremely rare in Nigeria let alone Nairaland
Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by iupac120: 6:58pm On Aug 17, 2018
Reality11:

Can you paraphrase?
I once believed that the existence of God was a hoax and that the reality of God could not be proven.
But there are things you can hardly find words to explain but there are; such as the love of God, joy unspeakable, peace that passes understanding etc.
Unless you witness that you can never believe their existence.... sharon

1 Like

Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by Reality11: 7:03pm On Aug 17, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

Never underestimate what these faithfuls can do.
If they can kill for their imaginary friend, misleading people with fake testimonies is just a bonus.

2 Likes

Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by Reality11: 7:21pm On Aug 17, 2018
iupac120:

I once believed that the existence of God was a hoax and that the reality of God could not be proven.

Please can you site some major reasons why initially you thought it was a hoax.

But there are things you can hardly find words to explain but there are; such as the love of God, joy unspeakable, peace that passes understanding etc.

Are you referring to the above as the reasons that made you to believe.

Unless you witness that you can never believe their existence.... sharon

How have you witness this please?
Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Aug 17, 2018
I maybe an example of an atheist who came to believe in gods.

To be honest, I do not believe in a particular conception of god. More so, I do not even believe at all. It would be better to say that I have had experiences which obliged me to accept there is more to life than meets the eyes. Hence, I am a former atheist, who now knows empirically that other forms of life, other abilities beyond our 5 senses and other dimensions most probably exists.

When you experience out of body experiences, when you constantly and uncontrollably see the future 2 to 5 years before it happens, you are forced to consider other possibilities than the mere materialistic perspective to life.

I can foresee people saying I was no true atheist meaning no rational one. This is incorrect. I became an atheist from a rational analysis: I read all the classics and I still consider agnosticism as the most rational position with respect to spirituality.

Nonetheless, each person will come to a point sooner or later where the reality of a life more complex than the materialistic perspective begin to make sense to him.

I had to reckon that reason/logic/common sense is very useful, but may be limited to the knowledge and experiences we have (had).

Greetings.

4 Likes

Re: From An Atheist To A Believer In God, Why? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 19, 2018
LastDays777:

Brother...all I can say is A-men...
Sometimes...we, as humans, cannot explain "how" He does it...but we know that non one else can receive the glory but Him!
When the Holy Spirit truly pierces someone's heart and changes him.....I tell you....
There's nothing like it....
He needs continued prayer though to stay on track....

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Character "Diaries" & Spiritual Warfare Reminders / See The Largest Church Auditoriums In The World / Bishop Oyedepo Blows Hot On Buhari, Suggest President Buhari Is Dead (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.