Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,943 members, 7,814,190 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview (13141 Views)

4 Things Do When You Are Laid Off / 4 Things You Need To Work For A Foreign Firm Remotely From Nigeria / 10 Reasons Why You Failed That Interview Before It Even Ended (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by sk8erBoy: 6:50am On Aug 18, 2018
Here are some tips for preparing for interviews:
1 Identifying the need: Every job advert is really a cry for help! The employer has a need and is looking for someone to help them meet that need. Believe it or not, it is not charity - they are not looking for someone to make rich.
The opportunity here is to clearly identify what that need is and also clearly link your skills and offerings to meeting that need. If you cannot match your skills and experience to the need (aka job description) then there is no point applying for the role in the first place. However, beyond the job description, as not all employer needs are clearly articulated, is the real (which is often more important) need. During the interview, you must be able to demonstrate that you are competent and able to meet those needs based on your demonstrable skills and past experience.

2.Know your worth:
They need you as much, if not more than, you need them.
After you have identified the need and clearly understood and demonstrated how you can meet them, you need to know what you and your offerings are worth.
Websites like Glassdoor provide salaries for different roles and industries.
The dreaded question "What are your salary expectations?" could be asked and "I work for free" is not a viable response. It's best to give a range and this should be a fair, neither greedy nor overtly modest, estimation of what you are worth. You can read about how to increase your worth here How to increase your worth – Part 1.

3. Research the Role and Company
Questions like these should be considered when doing your research:
What is the organogram like? Who are my colleagues and who will I be reporting to or who will be my reportees?  Use Linkedin but make sure you use it in stealth mode.
What is the company culture?
Pace (fast-paced or slow-paced and laid back). Family orientated or they would like you to have no work-life balance for example.
Culture of blame or guilt? Open or closed door policy, approachable leadership?
Will I have all the tools I need to effectively and efficiently carry out my job, delivering stellar results?

Benefits and compensation: What are the additional benefits? Bonus, holiday pay, private medical care, childcare vouchers, staff nursery etc, international rotation/staff placement, mentoring, car allowance, phone allowance, training?
Location: easy commute, relocation required, parking availability, proximity to bus/train station or airport?

4. Practice tough interview questions
One can simply not be over prepared for an interview. The stars may align and it might turn out to be a walk in the park but what happens if it does not turn out that way?
Glassdoor also provides a collection of interview questions by company. Tough Interview Questions and Answers also provides questions and answers to touch interview questions.

In conclusion: Smashing that interview is a great feeling. To get that feeling requires a certain level of preparation. This list is not exhaustive but provides a minimum.
Source: www.myorchardbythestream.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by DonatusAdorns(m): 7:40am On Aug 19, 2018
T
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by Sojebrand(m): 7:40am On Aug 19, 2018
Op, abeg try to space na. I no fit read to understand

6 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by Effico5real(m): 7:41am On Aug 19, 2018
that's nice...
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by Weareone202: 7:44am On Aug 19, 2018
Ok... I don hear
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by MegMich(m): 7:45am On Aug 19, 2018
Know your worth....this is very key as many companies are out to exploit job seekers, empowered by the current economic ruins

4 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by DavidEsq(m): 7:51am On Aug 19, 2018
Sojebrand:
I just tire for am sef. Just to do common numbering, e no sabi and e dey give job interview tips. Olodo rapata angry

3 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:56am On Aug 19, 2018
Op. Na copy and paste.. be dis... undecided undecided no space nothing.. am very sure. You copy this from somewere. DON'T be a lazy youth... grin grin

7 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by calculator123(m): 8:03am On Aug 19, 2018
poorly numbered and spaced post yet it made FP...Disappointed.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by Seconsol92(m): 8:08am On Aug 19, 2018
Nice one
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 19, 2018
Copy and paste

1 Like

Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by blackaxe78: 8:11am On Aug 19, 2018
(5) Visit a JuJu priest with potent charms and divine your way through.
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by OlaSalo(m): 8:17am On Aug 19, 2018
you guys keep recycling the same thing over again
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by Darkseid(m): 8:24am On Aug 19, 2018
Know your worth only if hunger never begin catch you. For every 30k job you turn down, there are 100 people waiting to take it and that's why employers have the mind to do anyhow.

5 Likes

Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by papiwyte(m): 8:34am On Aug 19, 2018
grin
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by HotMario: 8:40am On Aug 19, 2018
You want to write interview tips and you and properly copy and paste?
This write up is not well written,

Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by Midex88(m): 8:51am On Aug 19, 2018
Educating
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by dseyi61: 9:35am On Aug 19, 2018
Noted cool
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by qanda: 10:17am On Aug 19, 2018
Source Free CV Samples, Study Materials, Past Questions and Answers from Q and A App.
You can source and distribute Past Questions and Answers from Q and A App. These includes Professional Exams Questions, Job Test Questions and Answers, WAEC, NECO, Post Jamb and Career Resources. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by sekem: 10:30am On Aug 19, 2018
Nice one, OP

Please can you come up with 4 things You Must Do Before You Start Your Own Company

I believe that with the situation we have unfortunately found ourselves in right now in this country, so many people may be needing such info too, or don't you think so? shocked
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by Neddyogu(m): 12:14pm On Aug 19, 2018
Sojebrand:

Effects of copy and paste syndrome. No originality

1 Like

Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by arrestdarrester: 3:04pm On Aug 19, 2018
You may be doing this for the first time. Good attempt. Now improve your writing (especially spacing) by the next attempt
Re: 4 Things You Must Do Before That Interview by sk8erBoy: 10:07pm On Aug 19, 2018
sk8erBoy:

Here are some tips for preparing for interviews:

1 Identifying the need:

Every job advert is really a cry for help! The employer has a need and is looking for someone to help them meet that need. Believe it or not, it is not charity - they are not looking for someone to make rich.

The opportunity here is to clearly identify what that need is and also clearly link your skills and offerings to meeting that need. If you cannot match your skills and experience to the need (aka job description) then there is no point applying for the role in the first place. However, beyond the job description, as not all employer needs are clearly articulated, is the real (which is often more important) need.
During the interview, you must be able to demonstrate that you are competent and able to meet those needs based on your demonstrable skills and past experience.

2.Know your worth:

They need you as much, if not more than, you need them.
After you have identified the need and clearly understood and demonstrated how you can meet them, you need to know what you and your offerings are worth.
Websites like Glassdoor provide salaries for different roles and industries.
The dreaded question "What are your salary expectations?" could be asked and "I work for free" is not a viable response. It's best to give a range and this should be a fair, neither greedy nor overtly modest, estimation of what you are worth. You can read about how to increase your worth here How to increase your worth – Part 1.

3. Research the Role and Company

Questions like these should be considered when doing your research:

What is the organogram like?
Who are my colleagues and who will I be reporting to or who will be my reportees? 
Use Linkedin but make sure you use it in stealth mode.
What is the company culture?
Pace (fast-paced or slow-paced and laid back).
Family orientated or they would like you to have no work-life balance for example.
Culture of blame or guilt?
Current projects
Who are their competitors?
Open or closed door policy, approachable leadership?

Will I have all the tools I need to effectively and efficiently carry out my job, delivering stellar results?

Benefits and compensation: What are the additional benefits? Bonus, holiday pay, private medical care, childcare vouchers, staff nursery etc, international rotation/staff placement, mentoring, car allowance, phone allowance, training?
Location: easy commute, relocation required, parking availability, proximity to bus/train station or airport?

4. Practice tough interview questions

One can simply not be over prepared for an interview. The stars may align and it might turn out to be a walk in the park but what happens if it does not turn out that way?

Glassdoor also provides a collection of interview questions by company. Tough Interview Questions and Answers also provides questions and answers to touch interview questions.

In conclusion: Smashing that interview is a great feeling. To get that feeling requires a certain level of preparation. This list is not exhaustive but provides a minimum.
Source: www.myorchardbythestream.com

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Common Errors Of First Time Applicants. / My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market / Dangote Group Latest Job Recruitment (12 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.