Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice (26093 Views)

The Best Food - American Man Tastes Nigerian Jollof Rice, Egusi & Fufu / Oyinbo People Queue To Buy Nigerian Jollof Rice From "Mama Put" In London. / Egg Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Egg Stew For Yam/rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 6:22pm On Aug 19, 2018
Sunday 19th August 2018, i decide to walk into the kitchen and prepare jollof rice from scratch to finish. A feat i last actualized in 2010 during my last days in Unizik. Also thought it necessary to document all stages for my fellow guys who may not know how to cook; Ya'all can learn from this free tutorial.

First off I'l list all ingredients i used. You can use more or less, but have it in mind that the outcome of ur jollof rice depends on the ingredients used to prepare it and at what point they were added.

(1) 3 cups of rice
(2)chicken(or fish)
(3) 1 big ball of onion
(4)ginger and garlic
(5)pepper
(6)fresh tomato(or tin ones)
(7)crayfish
(coolnormal food spices
(9)seasoning powder( i used knnow cubes)
(10)Salt to taste
(11)2 fingers of plantain
(12)vegetable oil
(13)curry powder (or leaves)

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by SUPERPACK: 6:27pm On Aug 19, 2018
see the amount of chemical wey one person wan chop, smh.

8 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by dingbang(m): 6:29pm On Aug 19, 2018
Wow... Guys are better cooks..

Meanwhile, esteemed first bank customers, y'all can now perform wonderful transactions on the first mobile app, please click the link on my signature for more details on how to register, thanks .

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 6:35pm On Aug 19, 2018
Now wash your meat and place on fire. Add seasoning cubes, salt, curry, onion and thyme.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 6:37pm On Aug 19, 2018
While it cooks, blend ur tomato and pepper together and pour into another pot. Then place over fire to steam and reduce water content.

8 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 6:40pm On Aug 19, 2018
When water in the paste is fully dry, you add some vegetable oil into the paste(tomato and pepper). Allow to fry while you stir constantly to avoid burning. When it is fully fried and looks like it's starting to burn, add some stock from the boiling meat, stir while you continue to add more stock, until the whole stock goes into the tomato paste. Pour the meat into the paste that has turned to stew by now and leave to cook.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by officialfestus(m): 6:41pm On Aug 19, 2018
wink
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 6:42pm On Aug 19, 2018
Blend your ginger and garlic and add to the boiling stew. Add onion, more salt to taste, more seasoning cubes if you need to, crayfish etc

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 6:44pm On Aug 19, 2018
Place your white rice on the fire and allow to per boil for say 15 minutes (the trick here is not to allow the rice overcook, if you do, it would not turn out nice)

When rice is perboiled, bring it down and turn content into a sieve. Drain all water out, add more clean water, wash off more starch from rice and return rice into empty pot.

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2018
Bring the pot or frying pan of boiling stew down from fire and turn content into the pot of just washed rice. Turn it a little and place on fire to cook until water is dry and rice is soft(please don't turn while on fire to avoid burning before rice is done)

19 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 6:48pm On Aug 19, 2018
When rice is dry and cooked, mix content together to make all ingredients go even.

That's it guys, your Nigerian jollof is ready (at least mine).

You can add fried plantain to go with it if you wish. Meat can also be fried, but i chose not to.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by obi4eze(m): 6:57pm On Aug 19, 2018
OP you tried but...

You burnt the tomato paste

The rice is looking overcooked and sticky

You would have fried or cooked the chicken separately to make it look media-friendly.

I'm still wondering how you fried the tomato paste. Did you heat the oil first before pouring the tomato paste or you poured the oil on to the paste in the frypan?

90 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by frbona: 7:18pm On Aug 19, 2018
On behalf of the wealthy bachelors on Nairaland,
I say thank you for this brilliant recipe. Looking forward to trying it myself. Yummy..... Am drooling already

22 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by frbona: 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2018
obi4eze:
OP you tried but...

You would have fried or cooked the chicken separately to make it media-friendly.

I'm still wondering as to how you fried the tomato paste. Did you heat the oil first before pouring or you poured the oil on to the paste in the frypan?
how many chef competitions have you won

105 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 9:24pm On Aug 19, 2018
obi4eze:
OP you tried but...

You would have fried or cooked the chicken separately to make it look media-friendly.

I'm still wondering how you fried the tomato paste. Did you heat the oil first before pouring the tomato paste or you poured the oil on to the paste in the frypan?
Actually the rice is not overcooked, I only made the mistake of over turning it after it was cooked. For the tomato, after it dried on the fire to reduce water content, I then added the fresh vegetable oil(not preheated). I don't like my chicken fried. Again, I'm a man ooo. I think I did well

113 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 9:26pm On Aug 19, 2018
frbona:
On behalf of the wealthy bachelors on Nairaland,
I say thank you for this brilliant recipe. Looking forward to trying it myself. Yummy..... Am drolling already
You are welcome brother. Try it someday, you never know what we are capable of until we try

30 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by czarina(f): 5:51am On Aug 20, 2018
consultancy:
Actually the rice is not overcooked, I only made the mistake of over turning it after it was cooked. For the tomato, after it dried on the fire to reduce water content, I then added the fresh vegetable oil(not preheated). I don't like my chicken fried. Again, I'm a man ooo. I think I did well
how many handles do you have? Was it not you whose efo-riro's thread made front-page? I remember the white gas cooker.

Nice meal by the way, I like how you did it all without frying the meat. Will try that someday.

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Born2Breed(f): 7:38am On Aug 20, 2018
consultancy:
When rice is dry and cooked, mix content together to make all ingredients go even.

That's it guys, your Nigerian jollof is ready (at least mine).

You can add fried plantain to go with it if you wish. Meat can also be fried, but i chose not to.

You tried but still learning.
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 8:56am On Aug 20, 2018
czarina:
how many handles do you have? Was it not you whose efo-riro's thread made front-page? I remember the white gas cooker.

Nice meal by the way, I like how you did it all without frying the meat. Will try that someday.
pls this is my only moniker on Nairaland. Go check d gas again, den come bk to check mine. Thank you
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 9:02am On Aug 20, 2018
Born2Breed:

You tried but still learning.
We are all work in progress my dear

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Born2Breed(f): 9:07am On Aug 20, 2018
consultancy:
We are all work in progress my dear

Nice one!

Breakfast...

12 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by consultancy: 9:31am On Aug 20, 2018
Born2Breed:

Nice one!

Breakfast...
Now this is a real breakfast, very rich and nutritious. But don't grow too fat after eating meals like this sha

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Born2Breed(f): 9:45am On Aug 20, 2018
consultancy:
Now this is a real breakfast, very rich and nutritious. But don't grow too fat after eating meals like this sha

Eat what you love but always work out.
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Judolisco(m): 5:00pm On Aug 21, 2018
D
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by maxiuc(m): 5:00pm On Aug 21, 2018
sad

I hear

So the ones I have been cooking by myself is Yemen jellof rice abi

Continue

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by gaby(m): 5:01pm On Aug 21, 2018
Guy you still dey learn work for cooking. Na we be international cook. You remember that olden days jorrof wey dey gum together and scent anyhow? Na him we dey toast. So tey as i use leg waka from Nigeria dey go Europe i still open one small restautrant for Arlit-Niger, where i from dey arrange food for fellow waka waka people.

If you doubt me click on my signature to read my book for okadabooks all the tori yakata for there.

Na me be the man wey use leg go obodo oyibo come back, still stand gigigba..na only my knees suffer am small..

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by IamAirforce1: 5:02pm On Aug 21, 2018
Cooking is the work of women .

I ain't learning shiit

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by Ayodejioak(m): 5:02pm On Aug 21, 2018
Judging that OP is a man, great Job!!

Is it just me or is NL going down every 5 minutes on your side as well?

7 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by 2shure: 5:03pm On Aug 21, 2018
i wan go drink beer

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by 2odd(m): 5:03pm On Aug 21, 2018
obi4eze:
OP you tried but...

I wonder too o, it's sticky and overcooked, no hating but I cook jollor way beta, and what's with parboiling rice ?? , so if he /she want to cook for a party nkor ,all he had to do was rinse it with salt and enough water, I rinse for like 6 times .

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by HypocriticalMod: 5:04pm On Aug 21, 2018
Born2Breed:

Nice one!

Breakfast...
Wicked girl cry
Re: A Nairalander Teaches Guys How To Prepare Nigerian Jollof Rice by ipobarecriminals: 5:04pm On Aug 21, 2018
cool gud one op.Hope our slay lil queen ones here dey read dis.Some of dem prefer TAKEAWAY from Domino plaza.One 'jolof/concoction "like dat dey ruin/ purge belle (Antidote for jedijedi).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top Five Tasty Nigerian Soups For Tourists / Where To Buy Unrefined SHEA-BUTTER In Lagos:08139458588 / Exorbitant Food Prices In Nigeria: How Come Nobody Is Talking About This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.