Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,811 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Contraceptive Method - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Contraceptive Method (7017 Views)

How Effective Is Withdrawal Method In Family Planning? / Married Folks What Kind Of Contraceptive Do You Use? / What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Contraceptive Method by sophy09: 8:21pm On Jun 24, 2010
For married women, which is the best contraceptive method, I heard pills makes some bleed or have headaches and most husband do not like using condom which is the best way to avoid pregnancy
Re: Contraceptive Method by Fhemmmy: 8:26pm On Jun 24, 2010
If you already have kids, tie the womb

1 Like

Re: Contraceptive Method by sophy09: 8:32pm On Jun 24, 2010
Is there another option apart from tying the womb?
Re: Contraceptive Method by redsky1: 9:31pm On Jun 24, 2010
speak to a doctor but i would recommend the pill, u can try different ones to find the one that suits you. just remember there are some drugs that can reduce the effectiveness of the pill.
Re: Contraceptive Method by sophy09: 9:56pm On Jun 24, 2010
I am told some pills cause headaches and some make you have mood swings

1 Like

Re: Contraceptive Method by femmy2010(m): 10:01pm On Jun 24, 2010
Am learning
Re: Contraceptive Method by alienYOUTH(m): 11:54pm On Jun 24, 2010
All the contraceptive methods have their advantages and side effects.

My wife HATES d condom and I've told her i'd gladly have a vasectomy but she fears future "performance" issues; so she uses that flexible arm insertion stuff that's about d size of a toothpick (i've forgotten d name) and it's s'pposed 2 last 3 yrs. the major side effects she has are slight weight gain, irregular period and some rashes on d arms.

Like has been said earlier, ask ur Doc and research the available local options.

2 Likes

Re: Contraceptive Method by sophy09: 12:19am On Jun 25, 2010
That is the problem, they all happen to have side effects expect condom
Re: Contraceptive Method by Outstrip(f): 2:45am On Jun 25, 2010
alienYOUTH:

All the contraceptive methods have their advantages and side effects.

My wife HATES d condom and I've told her i'd gladly have a vasectomy but she fears future "performance" issues; so she uses that flexible arm insertion stuff that's about d size of a toothpick (i've forgotten d name) and it's s'pposed 2 last 3 yrs. the major side effects she has are slight weight gain, irregular period and some rashes on d arms.

Like has been said earlier, ask your Doc and research the available local options.

IUD or IUC

There is Mirena here in the states and it slowly releases medicine. It can stay in for 5 years. There is another IUD that stays in for 10 years and does not have any medicine whatsoever. Forgot the name now
Re: Contraceptive Method by Sissy3(f): 6:24am On Jun 25, 2010
agree w/Oustrip

IUDs are your best option if you want longer lasting birth control. they are highly effective with low failure rate and they last longer

another birth control option is  Implanon-3yrs.

theyre other ones too like diaphragms,cervical caps,although failure rates w/these are high esp w/improper usage

there are also patches,rings,injections,pills--and then natural family planning(NFP) (you really have to know what youre doing with the NFP method, if not just be prepared for another bomboy on the way. i personally wouldnt recommend this but if youre diligent and have all the 'virtues' needed for it,it might work for you(?)

aside from the IUDs, the keyword in using the other birth controls is consistency and proper usage. you must be committed to it if you want to obtain the best result. many have low failure if used properly and consistently.

@ Oustrip   the 10yr one is ParaGard.

2 Likes

Re: Contraceptive Method by Fhemmmy: 1:15pm On Jun 25, 2010
sophy09:

I am told some pills cause headaches and some make you have mood swings

Then, when the mood swings, swing your man to the bed . . . Shikena
Re: Contraceptive Method by Outstrip(f): 4:48pm On Jun 25, 2010
~Sissy~:

agree w/Oustrip

IUDs are your best option if you want longer lasting birth control. they are highly effective with low failure rate and they last longer

another birth control option is  Implanon-3yrs.

theyre other ones too like diaphragms,cervical caps,although failure rates w/these are high esp w/improper usage

there are also patches,rings,injections,pills--and then natural family planning(NFP) (you really have to know what youre doing with the NFP method, if not just be prepared for another bomboy on the way. i personally wouldnt recommend this but if youre diligent and have all the 'virtues' needed for it,it might work for you(?)

aside from the IUDs, the keyword in using the other birth controls is consistency and proper usage. you must be committed to it if you want to obtain the best result. many have low failure if used properly and consistently.

@ Oustrip   the 10yr one is ParaGard.

Thank you. I always forget that one
Re: Contraceptive Method by alienYOUTH(m): 10:20pm On Jun 25, 2010
Outstrip:

IUD or IUC

There is Mirena here in the states and it slowly releases medicine. It can stay in for 5 years. There is another IUD that stays in for 10 years and does not have any medicine whatsoever. Forgot the name now

Nope, it ain't an intra-uterine stuff, u insert it in d skin under fleshy part ur arm and it releases hormones till its expiry period. Got it here in 9ja, and it's very cheap, less than N2000.

sophy09:

That is the problem, they all happen to have side effects expect condom

Condom has its own side effects, loss of intimacy; its my wife here rmbr, not some hooker! wink Besides, she say's she'd bttr hump a Love Machine if using a condom is d only option.

1 Like

Re: Contraceptive Method by 1ne: 9:49pm On Jun 30, 2010
@alienYOUTH
That's the implant. I've got it currently but will soon be due to be taken out. Where exactly did you get yours?
Re: Contraceptive Method by luap: 11:37pm On Jun 30, 2010
Go tell your husbands to get their seed on ice(frozen) and get a vasectomy (nuts tied).

1 Like

Re: Contraceptive Method by sophy09: 12:43am On Jul 01, 2010
Does the implant have side effects and is it the doctor that will be implanting it or self.
Re: Contraceptive Method by alienYOUTH(m): 3:45am On Jul 01, 2010
1ne:

@alienYOUTH
That's the implant. I've got it currently but will soon be due to be taken out. Where exactly did you get yours?

I reside in Abuja and there is a family health clinic that stock piled d stuff, so my wife and i were referred there from our hospital. If live in Abuja too i culd possibly direct u there.

sophy09:

Does the implant have side effects and is it the doctor that will be implanting it or self.

Yeah, it's d doc/nurse that implants d stuff. It comes with an "Inserter" or somethin; like i said, it's about d size of a toothpick and they shoot it up d underside of ur arm, near d armpit.

Side effects might include weight gain, rashes on d arm, and irregular periods, the doc will let u knw most of dat stuff.

Just research your available options. At least i prefer d implant to an IUD, not after i heard dat some thread will be sticking out of my wife.
Re: Contraceptive Method by Osama10(m): 5:45am On Jul 01, 2010
I think the best is to get in touch with your GP, different women with different types of contraception.
Re: Contraceptive Method by sophy09: 5:58am On Jul 01, 2010
How many years or months will the implant be in the body?
Re: Contraceptive Method by alienYOUTH(m): 10:26am On Jul 01, 2010
sophy09:

How many years or months will the implant be in the body?

Depends; they have difft ones, i knw of d 3yrs and 5yrs!
Re: Contraceptive Method by softgirl1: 11:14am On Jul 01, 2010
contraceptive is not the best try safe period count 8days after ur five days of seeing ur period u are safe, another eight days you are not safe after that eight days u are safe till your nxt period i have being using this since i gave birth 2yrs ago and it is working if u most do the days u are ovulating then use condom

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Contraceptive Method by zayhal(f): 3:51pm On Jul 01, 2010
Try the ovulation calculator.
Re: Contraceptive Method by aieromon(m): 5:50pm On Jul 01, 2010
All these methods come with side effects that may affect libido.
Calculating the ovulation cycle should be a good option if the couple is determined to observe safe and unsafe days of sexual intercourse carefully.
Re: Contraceptive Method by sophy09: 8:29pm On Jul 01, 2010
Having sex with one's partner is not always planned. It will look mundane if you plan on having sex on a specific date.

4 Likes

Re: Contraceptive Method by Sissy3(f): 4:34am On Jul 02, 2010
aieromon:

All these methods come with side effects that may affect libido.
Calculating the ovulation cycle should be a good option if the couple is determined to observe safe and unsafe days of sexual intercourse carefully.

yea, especially when you are ready to have another bomboy unplanned

1 Like

Re: Contraceptive Method by agathamari(f): 5:23pm On Jul 02, 2010
an IUD is the safest and most effective method.  it it a t shaped piece inserved into your uterous.  some have birthcontrol medication in them similar to the pill and these last 5 years, others are made of copper and last indefinitly.  they carry the lowest risk of all birth control methods (the copper one) while the hormonal is the same as the pill.  they can be removed at any time and your fertility returns within days of its removal.  getting your tubes tied or blocked can be very dangerous and very difficult to reverse if you change your mind later.  you increase you risk of things like entopic pregnancy after tying your tubes as well as it is a severly invasive procedure that carryes the risks associated with gerneral naestesia.  if you you really wish to get surgery as a woman make sure you wont want kids later and remove as much of the falopian tubes as possible to decrease the liklyhood of complications, safer method would be to have the husband have his tubes tied - less invasive and easy to reverse and far less complications. so called "safe period" takes time and tests to accuratly determin when you ovulate but studies show over 80% of people who use this method are also called , parents

2 Likes

Re: Contraceptive Method by Leilah(f): 12:06am On Jul 03, 2010
I have been on the pill for six years now. i thought it was wrong in Catholic culture to take the pill.
Re: Contraceptive Method by Leilah(f): 12:10am On Jul 03, 2010
I have had absolutely no problems on the pill it costs me 11 euro per month. Now thats not much to ask is it?
Re: Contraceptive Method by xxcarolxx(f): 12:20am On Jul 03, 2010
Leilah:

I have been on the pill for six years now. i thought it was wrong in Catholic culture to take the pill.
The catholic church frowns on birth control. But times have changed from the dark ages leliah. We are in 2010
Re: Contraceptive Method by Leilah(f): 1:19am On Jul 03, 2010
Yes I certianly aknowledge that, but do others?? why would one continously give birth?
Re: Contraceptive Method by sophy09: 3:01am On Jul 03, 2010
@ Leliah

Do the pills you taking have any side effects?
Re: Contraceptive Method by xxcarolxx(f): 4:54pm On Jul 03, 2010
There is some people who love been pregnant, and love big families, there is a girl i know she is expecting her 5th child.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cultural Differences Matters A Lot In Marriage? / Third Party In A Marriage, Would You Intercede When Called Upon? / Nigerians' Sad Response To Rape Cases Is Sick Supporting Timaya And Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.