Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

The History Of The Mona Lisa Painting - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / The History Of The Mona Lisa Painting (1032 Views)

This Man Single-handedly Made The Mona Lisa Famous / What Is So Special About Mona Lisa Painting And Why It Is So Expensive? / Long-lost 'nigerian Mona Lisa,' Valued At Over $280K Found In North London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The History Of The Mona Lisa Painting by Nobody: 12:06am On Aug 20, 2018
The Mona Lisa (/ˌmoʊnə ˈliːsə/; Italian: Monna Lisa [ˈmɔnna ˈliːza] or La Gioconda [la dʒoˈkonda], French: La Joconde [la ʒɔkɔ̃d]) is a half-length portrait painting by the Italian Renaissance artist Leonardo da Vinci that has been described as "the best known, the most visited, the most written about, the most sung about, the most parodied work of art in the world". The Mona Lisa is also one of the most valuable paintings in the world. It holds the Guinness World Record for the highest known insurance valuation in history at $100 million in 1962, which is worth nearly $800 million in 2017.

Lisa's life

Little is known about Lisa's life. Born in Florence and married in her teens to a cloth and silk merchant who later became a local official, she was a mother to five children and led what is thought to have been a comfortable and ordinary middle-class life. Lisa outlived her husband, who was considerably her senior.

Centuries after Lisa's death, Mona Lisa became the world's most famous painting[1] and took on a life separate from Lisa, the woman. Speculation by scholars and hobbyists made the work of art a globally recognized icon and an object of commercialization. In 2005, Lisa was definitively identified as the model for the Mona Lisa

Early Life and Family

Lisa's Florentine family was old and aristocratic but over time had lost their influence. They were well off but not wealthy, and lived on farm income in a city that was among the largest in Europe. While economically successful, there were great disparities in wealth among its inhabitants.

Antonmaria di Noldo Gherardini, Lisa's father, had lost two wives, Lisa di Giovanni Filippo de' Carducci, whom he married in 1465, and Caterina di Mariotto Rucellai, whom he married in 1473. Both died in childbirth. Lisa's mother was Lucrezia del Caccia, daughter of Piera Spinelli, and Gherardini's wife by his third marriage in 1476. Gherardini at one time owned or rented six farms in Chianti that produced wheat, wine and olive oil and where livestock was raised.

Lisa was born in Florence on June 15, 1479, on Via Maggio, although for many years it was thought she was born on one of the family's rural properties, Villa Vignamaggio just outside Greve. She is named for Lisa, a wife of her paternal grandfather. The eldest of seven children, Lisa had three sisters, one of whom was named Ginevra, and three brothers, Giovangualberto, Francesco, and Noldo.

The family lived in Florence, originally near Santa Trinita and later in rented space near Santo Spirito, most likely because they were not able to afford repairs to their former house when it was damaged. Lisa's family moved to what today is called Via dei Pepi, and then near Santa Croce, where they lived near Ser Piero da Vinci, Leonardo's father. They also owned a small country home in St. Donato in the village of Poggio about 32 kilometres (20 mi) south of the city. Noldo, Gherardini's father and Lisa's grandfather, had bequeathed a farm in Chianti to the Santa Maria Nuova hospital. Gherardini secured a lease for another of the hospital's farms and, so that he could oversee the wheat harvest, the family spent summers there at the house named Ca' di Pesa.

I always ignore the picture anywhere, not until my phone updated it's wallpaper with the painting, it forced me to watch the YouTube video about the painting and the woman herself.

Source:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Lisa

Lalasticlala
Mynd44

Re: The History Of The Mona Lisa Painting by Nobody: 12:09am On Aug 20, 2018
Some people won't make heaven, just imagine what they've Photoshoped the painting into. angry

The image is even creepy self, I can't sleep again embarassed

1 Like

Re: The History Of The Mona Lisa Painting by Nobody: 12:39am On Aug 20, 2018
Who else thinks this painting is over hyped?

1 Like

Re: The History Of The Mona Lisa Painting by Nobody: 2:13am On Aug 20, 2018
Westernpype:
Who else thinks this painting is over hyped?
I think so too, a $100m+ painting angry

It was also said that, the image will always look at you no matter your position. Like it eyes will always follow you as long as you're in the same room with it.

1 Like

Re: The History Of The Mona Lisa Painting by Offpoint: 3:58pm On Aug 20, 2018
I carefully read the entire write up hoping to see how she has impacted humanity, but was dissapointed. just an ordinary farmer daughter. I'm painting Einstein ASAP.

She look fat on the painting, with the "I know you're lying, but continue..." smile on her face.

(1) (Reply)

How Are These Football Designs Created / Sharp Ar M276 Scanner/twain Driver / Event Coverage And Photography (50% Off)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.