Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,782 members, 7,820,737 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? (14244 Views)

Simi, Others Gift Money To Wife Who Appreciated Her Husband's Christmas Chicken / Why Are Fathers Neglected Why Mothers Are Remembered / Folorunsho Alakija Appreciated For Helping Baby With Hole In His Heart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Mustiboy(m): 7:20pm On Aug 22, 2018
A father is the breadwinner of the family. He wakes up for work while the rest of the family are still fast asleep and comes back late at night when they must have gone to bed. All this he does to put food on the table for his family. Then why do the children get to shower him little or no love at all? The answer to this question may vary according to individual perspective.

As the child grows up, it gets emotionally connected to the one who is always around- the mother. Children tend to forget someone whom they don’t always see, or at worst, feel insecure with his/her presence. Does this explain the under-appreciation of fathers? Not entirely. Another point of view to this issue is the African mothers. You may ask what the mother has got to do with this, well, it’s quite simple: the African mother has a way of presenting the father in a non-pleasant way to the children. Let’s take this scenario as a case study : the children of John, who is away at work, come back from school and tell their mother they need money to buy the items needed for their forthcoming practicals in school. The mother tell God will provide, as it is the way of Africans. Later in the night, when the father has arrived from work tired and exhausted, she tells him, while in bed, about the need of the children and the husband provides as it is his responsibility. The mother then gives the children what they need and never tells them where the money came from. With this, the children feel safe confiding in their mother for their financial needs because they believe she is the one providing for them.

Fathers have a lot of work to do in registering their presence in their respective families. It is never enough to be there financially, the children need more of love and support. The mother also has a crucial role to play in helping the child appreciate the father. She needs to explain to the child why the father cannot always be around and make it understand that it cares. The father, on the other hand, should try to build a subtle relationship with the children and not to be too dictational and fierce with the children in order not to scare them away. As a father, make your children know you love them, take them out on vacations, pay attention to them, and most essentially, keep contact with them when you’re around and when you’re not. The child needs you to be at your best, dad!

Why do you think fathers are under-appreciated?

60 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by dingbang(m): 7:22pm On Aug 22, 2018
cool

Yeah I appreciate him for sending me to school..

Meanwhile, esteemed first bank customers, y'all can now perform wonderful transactions on the first mobile app, please click the link on my signature for more details on how to register, thanks .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by zinnydan(f): 7:22pm On Aug 22, 2018
I love my father and I really appreciate him

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by bizza45: 7:30pm On Aug 22, 2018
fathers are really under-appreciated I know that but children tends to draw close to their mum cos they see her everyday and everytime and also women sabi change d mind of her pikin. she paints herself good and d man bad..

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Chubhie: 7:41pm On Aug 22, 2018
In the word's of Don Vito Corleone, A man who doesn't spend time with his family cannot be a real man.

A man must put solid structures in place before venturing into starting a family and leave nothing to chance.

Our ancestors back then used to have lots of farmlands and animals to sustain their families and have little or no business waking up by 4am for work and returning by 11pm.

In today's world, A man that wants to start a family must have interests and controls that gives him the flexibility of time to enjoy moments with his family.

I believe that the quality of children been shipped out to society would be enhanced if more Fathers spend quality time with their very creation.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Chubhie: 7:47pm On Aug 22, 2018
bizza45:
fathers are really under-appreciated I know that but children tends to draw close to their mum cos they see her everyday and everytime and also women sabi change d mind of her pikin. she paints herself good and d man bad..
No wonder some men elected to abandon both mother and children and take a walk.

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by bizza45: 8:28pm On Aug 22, 2018
Chubhie:

No wonder some men elected to abandon both mother and children and take a walk.

I have seen it. my aunt does it very well... she will gather all her kids and start telling them what their father did to her b4 marriage... if man cums back d kids go dey look am one kin eye

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Annwrites: 8:29pm On Aug 22, 2018
Men are under-appreciated because they are poor at playing politics. Lolz... Just kidding o

On a more serious note, many men are under-appreciated in Nigeria because many are only good at bearing that title and nothing else.

Visit many Nigerian homes, and you will.understand better.

15 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Mustiboy(m): 8:34pm On Aug 22, 2018
bizza45:
exactly my point

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Chubhie: 8:34pm On Aug 22, 2018
bizza45:

I have seen it. my aunt does it very well... she will gather all her kids and start telling them what their father did to her b4 marriage... if man cums back d kids go dey look am one kin eye
That is mutiny under his roof! He should up his game and crush the rebellion!

18 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 22, 2018
Because MOTHERS use BREASSST to confuse their kids and they keep telling these children that they fed them with those 2 heavy balls on their chest till adulthood.

You visit your Dad only for money.
While you visit your MOM for both BREASST and Money

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by AngelicBeing: 8:39pm On Aug 22, 2018
sad

1 Like

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Melvin0: 8:39pm On Aug 22, 2018
because they're doing their job grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by emeijeh(m): 8:39pm On Aug 22, 2018
EVILFOREST:
Because MOTHERS use BREASSST to confuse their kids
You have said it all......and the word "mommy" sounds like bobby. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Sirpaul(m): 8:39pm On Aug 22, 2018
Penury

1 Like

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by ekems2017(f): 8:39pm On Aug 22, 2018
Children are not blind to see that mothers are always there. Who stays awake at night with the child? Who sleeps in the hospital with the child? Who removes the best cloth from the bottom of the box, sell and give the money to the child to cater for the need at that time? Who goes extra mile to provide food? Who stays awake to pray for the child to mention but a few?
My dear fathers love their children but a mothers love can never be measured with that of a father. Even you op you know.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by sykeng(m): 8:39pm On Aug 22, 2018
ok
Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by pawesome(m): 8:39pm On Aug 22, 2018
My father has turned out to be different from when I was young...
Now my step mother is totally in control so dude abandoned my mom...
That's why he is under appreciated

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 22, 2018
So fcking annoying.

I love my Parent and give em that love and respect.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by lielbree: 8:40pm On Aug 22, 2018
Bottom line truth is that men cheat too much. No matter how good u are as a husband in terms of providing, once u cheat your wife will be miserable except she's equally a cheat.

Once the kids sense their mom is miserable automatically they know daddy is the cause of the misery.

The become closer to mom and end up tolerating their dad at best or even hating him.

So if u want your wife and kids to appreciate u stop cheating! My father in law is always so proud to say to his sons that he was married to his wife for 50years an NEVER cheated!!! They had 7soms and 3daughters... it is possible to stay faithful

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 22, 2018
It is simply because most fathers don't care to establish any emotional connection with their children.

Only a mother will scold her child, spank him/her and in the next 20 minutes, she will find a way to draw the child close to explain why she had to discipline the child.

30 minutes later, the child has forgotten the beating, only the lessons remain in memory.

How many fathers can do that?

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 22, 2018
The children spend more time with their mothers.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Mofpearl: 8:41pm On Aug 22, 2018
Discussed this topic with my cousin a few weeks ago. Some reasons fathers are underappreciated include:
-Not spending enough time with family
-Focused on making money
-Sacrifices fathers make aren't always announced openly or noticed like that of the mum. For example, not all kids see how hard dads work to maintain the family but they'll see when their mum leaves her job to cook or pick them up from school.
-Sometimes mums can be overly emotional and pit kids against their dads

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Trapnews: 8:42pm On Aug 22, 2018
undecided
Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by sykeng(m): 8:42pm On Aug 22, 2018
is not all about been a bread winner in the family, fathers always believe in the hard way, " when I was like you I trekked from Nigeria to London" The kinda love mothers have for children is unquestionable, they are too soft to see their children suffer. More Love to both, they all played/playing a role in our lives.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by benkorbin: 8:42pm On Aug 22, 2018
Waw
Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Tonymario58: 8:42pm On Aug 22, 2018
Any house where the father is under-appreciated, the mother should be blamed in most cases

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Aug 22, 2018
grin
Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by deleo16(m): 8:44pm On Aug 22, 2018
cool ft
Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by benkorbin: 8:44pm On Aug 22, 2018
Wss
Re: Why Are Fathers Under-appreciated? by itiswellandwell: 8:44pm On Aug 22, 2018
It's always the handiwork of the woman. Some women are so wicked that they brainwashed their children as if they are the one footing the bills and this stick to the brain of the children which in turn makes them start looking at their father as a bad person. The surprising thing is that the kids will never ask the man. Their mum asked them not to.

If you are a man and you are always giving your wife money for the kids. If you think your wife is manipulative, start going to their school to pay that school fees yourself, start showing it to them that you are the one spending the money. Stop being a boss and turn your wife to secretary.

https://www.nairaland.com/4584699/samsung-s6-edge-plus-sale

23 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man In Court, Says Wife Must Refund N1.4 Million He Spent To Marry Her / Why Do High-status Career Women Seem To Have Problems With Their Marriage? / Ex-wife Pays Divorce Settlement In Coins, Rice And Beans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.