Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog (1219 Views)

Need Help In Choosing A Dog Breed / Just Got A Caucasian Shepherd Dog. I Need Tips. / Reason Why Cats Are Better Than Dogs While Choosing A Pet ( Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by TAIRA: 10:55am On Aug 24, 2018
Hi,House. Pls,i want to get a good breed for our home. I will say I have phobia for dogs but now it of utmost need because of our new location. Moreso,my kids are on my neck for one. I have never had a dog in my life. My ideal dog:
- Security conscious and alert
- Reasonable good disposition to people and things around it
- Low cost management
- Trainable and command responsive.
- Not expensive to purchase

1 Like

Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by Alejoc(m): 11:01am On Aug 24, 2018
I wanna learn too, l grin
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by johnnyn1(m): 11:27am On Aug 24, 2018
Get an Alsatian or a German Shepherd.

Modified..

Get a Shepherd Dog.
They are great at all You mentioned.

1 Like

Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by timecount: 11:50am On Aug 24, 2018
You can chat me up 07065270874
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by johnnyn1(m): 12:12pm On Aug 24, 2018
Also trust no one here..
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 24, 2018
johnnyn1:
Also trust no one here..
grin
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 24, 2018
TAIRA:
Hi,House. Pls,i want to get a good breed for our home. I will say I have phobia for dogs but now it of utmost need because of our new location. Moreso,my kids are on my neck for one. I have never had a dog in my life. My ideal dog:
-Security concious and alert
-Reasonable good disposition to people and things around it
-Low cost management
-Trainable and command responsive.
-Not expensive to purchase

GSD
Security concious and alert
-Low cost management

Boerboel
-Low cost management

Rott
-Low cost management
-Trainable and command responsive. Relative
-Not expensive to purchase. 100-150k. Relative

Caucasian
-Low cost management
-Not expensive to purchase 100-200k Relative

Pittbull
-Reasonable good disposition to people and things around it.
-Low cost management
-Not expensive to purchase. 70-150k Relative

So for a first time dog owner I will recommend a German shepherd working dog Which has a better health history than the showline(slantbacks).Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by ChiefAzubuike(f): 1:12pm On Aug 24, 2018
johnnyn1:
Get an Alsatian or a German Shepherd..

What's Alsatian what's German Shepherd? undecided
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by foreverkind1(m): 1:43pm On Aug 24, 2018
johnnyn1:
Get an Alsatian or a German Shepherd..

Boss no vex, what's the difference but an Alsatian and German sherperd ,my present dog is a female Alsatian, but when I bought it then, I was calling it a German Shepard breed, it was at the state vet they said Its an Alsatian not German shepard .kindly enlighten me
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by johnnyn1(m): 3:14pm On Aug 24, 2018
foreverkind1:

Boss no vex, what's the difference but an Alsatian and German sherperd ,my present dog is a female Alsatian, but when I bought it then, I was calling it a German Shepard breed, it was at the state vet they said Its an Alsatian not German shepard .kindly enlighten me

They are all the same bro.
They are called Shepherd Dog. it's just the location where they are bred that originated Alsatian and German.

The name German Shepherd was used in America. The German Shepherds was used by both sides to fight during the war. But the British didn’t want to call their dogs German sothey decided on the name Alsatian. Later, after the war, the British changed the name back to German Shepherd Dog .There is NO difference between a German Shepherd Dog and an Alsatian.

The original name is German shepherd Dog. During the world war britishers named it Alsatian,after the German French border area of Alsace-Lorraine.
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by johnnyn1(m): 3:17pm On Aug 24, 2018
LordLanister:
grin
Na so my bro..
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by chiboy1116: 5:51pm On Aug 24, 2018
LordLanister:

GSD
-Low cost management

Boerboel
-Low cost management

Rott
-Low cost management
-Trainable and command responsive. Relative
-Not expensive to purchase. 100-150k. Relative

Caucasian
-Low cost management
-Not expensive to purchase 100-200k Relative

Pittbull
-Reasonable good disposition to people and things around it.
-Low cost management
-Not expensive to purchase. 70-150k Relative

So for a first time dog owner I will recommend a German shepherd working dog Which has a better health history than the showline(slantbacks).Thanks.
nice write up , but I will have to say you ar wrong to tag Caucasian as an easily trainable dog, it's not , one of the hardest , those creatures are so disobedient .

1 Like

Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by GRACEGLORY: 7:37pm On Aug 24, 2018
chiboy1116:
nice write up , but I will have to say you ar wrong to tag Caucasian as an easily trainable dog, it's not , one of the hardest , those creatures are so disobedient .

Caucasian is a deadly dog, more so, those we call Caucasian here are not, but “Sarplaninac.”
The real Caucasian is like a “Sarplaninac.” on steroids.
Co isn’t a dog to be permitted around kids.
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by chiboy1116: 7:52pm On Aug 24, 2018
GRACEGLORY:

Caucasian is a deadly dog, more so, those we call Caucasian here are not, but “Sarplaninac.”
lol.
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 24, 2018
chiboy1116:

Oh... I see.
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by chiboy1116: 8:34pm On Aug 24, 2018
GRACEGLORY:

wait oh , what's the difference between a sarplaninac and a Caucasian shepherd . They look alike but sarplaninac is from Yugoslavia . It exactly what we call Caucasian here in Nigeria .
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 24, 2018
My Caucasian temperament was awesome. Never saw training as a tedious activity. She was quick to learn. I believe everything boils down to temperament and inherited intelligence. Getting a dog goes beyond the physical conformation but also the behavioral traits expected to see in such breed. That's why it's expected to get a pup at least 8weeks of age or more preferably 12 weeks because that's when you begin to see some behavioral feature as expected. I Remembered my Caucasian shaking and sitting even without much emphasis in training at just 12weeks.
And also I think socialization is very important.
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by foreverkind1(m): 8:52pm On Aug 24, 2018
johnnyn1:

They are all the same bro.
They are called Shepherd Dog. it's just the location where they are bred that originated Alsatian and German.

The name German Shepherd was used in America. The German Shepherds was used by both sides to fight during the war. But the British didn’t want to call their dogs German sothey decided on the name Alsatian. Later, after the war, the British changed the name back to German Shepherd Dog .There is NO difference between a German Shepherd Dog and an Alsatian.

The original name is German shepherd Dog. During the world war britishers named it Alsatian,after the German French border area of Alsace-Lorraine.
Thanks man, I appreciate.
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by McMayor(m): 5:11am On Aug 25, 2018
German Shepherd I would say. I got my first dog too last year August and she was a German Shepherd. Very very good value for money. I used her to stair the water and now I know so much about dogs. I have gotten a BB. Ohh and less I forget, my German Shepherd has given birth to 4 lovely slant pups. GSD as so very friendly and easy to maintain. You have also have got to have love and passion for dogs. Having a dog goes beyond just having a dog. It's a life.

1 Like

Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by johnnyn1(m): 7:36am On Aug 25, 2018
oh man.
Congratulations bro.
McMayor:
German Shepherd I would say. I got my first dog too last year August and she was a German Shepherd. Very very good value for money. I used her to stair the water and now I know so much about dogs. I have gotten a BB. Ohh and less I forget, my German Shepherd has given birth to 4 lovely slant pups. GSD as so very friendly and easy to maintain. You have also have got to have love and passion for dogs. Having a dog goes beyond just having a dog. It's a life.
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by gwmlogistic: 10:08am On Aug 25, 2018
Get yourself a chow chow. Thank me later

2 Likes

Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by rumenase(m): 11:54am On Aug 25, 2018
GRACEGLORY:

so you mean Nigeria is a caucasianless country?
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by rumenase(m): 11:56am On Aug 25, 2018
TAIRA:
- Low cost management

A German Shepherd ticks all the boxes, a boerboel is good too but it is not a low maintenance dog.
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by chiboy1116: 3:41pm On Aug 26, 2018
[quote author=LordLanister post=70579585]My Caucasian temperament was awesome. Never saw training as a tedious activity. She was quick to learn. I believe everything boils down to temperament and inherited intelligence. Getting a dog goes beyond the physical conformation but also the behavioral traits expected to see in such breed. That's why it's expected to get a pup at least 8weeks of age or more preferably 12 weeks because that's when you begin to see some behavioral feature as expected. I Remembered my Caucasian shaking and sitting even without much emphasis in training at just 12weeks.
And also I think socialization is very important. [/quotes]not trying say ur dog ain't good, but pure Caucasians are not evn household dogs , u don't just get them . And they are all stubborn, extremely aggressive , powerful . A dog that kill a bear doesn't sound like a dog with good temperament , yea they can b trained but not by firstimers ...u must have had a whole lot of experience , I mean like a whole lot of experience.....I had to call a trainer , then they both stopped some stupid shit they did then.
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by chiboy1116: 3:43pm On Aug 26, 2018
rumenase:

so you mean Nigeria is a caucasianless country?
I saw some pics , and I must say most of the dogs we call Caucasians in Nigeria aren't , I am not evn sure mine is a Caucasian sef.
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 26, 2018
chiboy1116 :
not trying say ur dog ain't good, but pure Caucasians are not evn household dogs , u don't just get them . And they are all stubborn, extremely aggressive , powerful . A dog that kill a bear doesn't sound like a dog with good temperament , yea they can b trained but not by firstimers ...u must have had a whole lot of experience , I mean like a whole lot of experience.....I had to call a trainer , then they both stopped some stupid poo they did then.

No-one is saying Caucasian can't do all of those.. But you tend to forget the usefulness of socialization in training pups... And again I emphasis that intelligence can also be transmitted from parents to offspring. If you have a well trained dam her pups have a 70-90% chance of learning from her as long as they aren't adopted early... That's y I advise on adopting pups at 8-12 weeks..

And who said the number one traits of a pedigree Caucasian is killing bears.
If a pitbull can be trained to walk without leash and Rott are trained to accommodate children then I think caucs aren't gonna be different.

1 Like

Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 26, 2018
OP forget about all these exotic dog breeds, you are a first time owner and from the questions you ask it seems like you don't know anything about dogs so just get an Ekuke at the moment, it suits you more.
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by chiboy1116: 9:45pm On Aug 26, 2018
LordLanister:

No-one is saying Caucasian can't do all of those.. But you tend to forget the usefulness of socialization in training pups... And again I emphasis that intelligence can also be transmitted from parents to offspring. If you have a well trained dam her pups have a 70-90% chance of learning from her as long as they aren't adopted early... That's y I advise on adopting pups at 8-12 weeks..

And who said the number one traits of a pedigree Caucasian is killing bears.
If a pitbull can be trained to walk without leash and Rott are trained to accommodate children then I think caucs aren't gonna be different.
sir rotts Nd pittbulls aren't like Caucasian ....I am not talking of the caucs u see here , a rott isn't evn aggressive compared to a pure Caucasian breed ...pittbulls have the tendency to b stupid atimes . Please don't compare the stubbornness and aggressiveness of a Caucasian to a pittbull or rott u should read about Caucasians sir , rottweilers were used as soldiers during war to search or look for stuff, Caucasians are used to protect livestock's like cows, sheep's ,goats from deadly animals like cheeter ,bears,cougars,hyenas .....I think u should read about Caucasians ....they mostly don't stay in houses , they stay in farms . I think they were also used during the war by the Russians .
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by smokey12345: 9:27pm On Aug 27, 2018
I think the best you should go for is GSD, i m new to dog world nd i purchsed gsd puppy nd rotweilers puppy...

gsd pocess the ulities you mentioned... you dont need to get slnt bck get norml stright one cos slnt bck re more expensive they re showline

TAIRA:
- Low cost management
Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by smokey12345: 9:35pm On Aug 27, 2018
My dogs

Re: Please, I Need Tips For Choosing A Dog by TAIRA: 8:35am On Aug 30, 2018
Thank you so much for all your advise. I really appreciate your detailed education on some breeds and recommendations. Keep up the good heart. I will keep u posted when the deed is eventually done. Good morning!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

8 Weeks old pure breed male caucasian pups For Sale For 50k At Ilorin / Paws Of Dikeje Thread / Chubby And Clean Samoyed For Sale. Hot Cake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.