Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,501 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Hives: How Do I Deal With It? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hives: How Do I Deal With It? (2519 Views)

Please What Can I Do To Get Rid Of This Hives? / Hives(Narun): Causes And Treatment / Hives!!!(inarun) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hives: How Do I Deal With It? by Vie(f): 12:12am On Apr 01, 2007
I have  a chronic allergic condition known as HIVES, have been trying without any effect to narrow down the cause of  its sudden outbreaks but to no avail, living in Nigeria its almost impossible to streamline the reactants. So i need help on any way to remove the old scares before a new outbreak cos it leaves black patches especially since it recently started extending to my face. Opinions and suggestions will be appreciated.
Re: Hives: How Do I Deal With It? by naijacutee(f): 1:58pm On Apr 01, 2007
Hey girl, I feel for you o! I'll advise you to find out what triggers off your reaction and keep away from it. Also antihistamines like piriton might help ease the effects.
All the best!
Re: Hives: How Do I Deal With It? by MAYORIN1(m): 11:21am On Apr 02, 2007
Medical professionals refer to hives as urticaria

HIVES is the Itchy, swollen, red bumps or patches on the skin that appear suddenly as a result of the body’s adverse reaction to certain allergens. They can appear anywhere on the body including the face, lips, tongue, throat or ears. Hives vary in size and can last for minutes or days.

Causes of Hives
Ingestion or Inhalation
When the source of hives can be determined, most cases are caused by ingestion of a substance. Drugs can suddenly cause hives even if the person has been taking them for years. Many foods or food additives can also cause hives suddenly, even in small amounts. I am including inhaled allergens under ingestion because these are foreign substances that are taken into the body.

Some of the more common triggers are the following:

Infections such as viral illnesses, especially in children

Allergies to food, medications, cosmetics, soaps, and detergents

Insect stings and bites

Transfusions of blood or blood products

Emotional and physical stress

Physical agents such as sunlight, heat, cold, water, or pressure

If I may Ask Vie is there any one in your family that experiences same, this may be one of the risk factor.

Treatment of Hives
Treatment may not be needed if hives are mild -- they will go away on their own. Antihistamines may reduce inflammation, itching, and swelling.

Try as much as possible to avoid direct sunlight
Prevent undue delayed pressure: reaction to standing for long periods, bra-straps and belts
Watch the kind of Cream and soap you use (cosmetics).
Watchout for chronic cold: ice, cold air and water
Use Antibacterial and antiseptic such as dettol in your bath water

Avoid common allergns such as:
Drugs
Penicillin
Aspirin
Sulfa antibiotics
Morphine
Codeine
Polymyxin
Dextran
Curare
Quinine
Diuretics

Foods
Fish
Shellfish
Nuts
Eggs
Chocolate
Strawberries
Tomatoes
Pork
Cow's milk
Cheese
Wheat
Yeast
Citrus fruits

Food Additives

Salicylates
Tartrazine (a dye)
Benzoate
Penicillin
Sulfites
Inhaled Allergens

Pollen
Mold Spores
Animal dander
House dust

I hope my epistle will help you - Anyway am waiting for my consultancy fee grin
Re: Hives: How Do I Deal With It? by Vie(f): 8:30am On Apr 13, 2007
@ naijacutie, thanks for your sympathies.

@ Mayorini, your fees will be paid s soon as you give your a/c number to me. Well, thanks for your information but it really eliminates everything possible to eat and finding the source will be really diffcult but i will try, well, we have asmatics in my family and i was just recent diagonised as one, well, hives is just limited to me so i wonder what that means?
I will keep searching for my reactants and hopefully a cure for this condition.
Re: Hives: How Do I Deal With It? by Gigihealth: 9:26pm On Jul 28, 2016
how to get rid of hives? If you are able to identify the cause or causes of your hives, the best treatment for hives would be to avoid the triggers or eliminate them if possible. Click on the link below to read more.
http://www.gigihealth.com/how-to-get-rid-of-hives-what-are-hives/

(1) (Reply)

Fibroidclear / Does The Colour Of Toothpaste Matter? / This Doctor Was Paralyzed After An Accident. Please Kindly Assist (pics).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.