Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,898 members, 7,828,161 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? (2116 Views)

How I Was Scammed By A Dishonest Uber/Bolt Driver / Innoson Vehicles Used By FRSC, Police, Army, Nigeria Fire Fighters / Traffic Offences In Nigeria And Penalties By FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by Ubty: 3:10am On Aug 28, 2018
Drove into a FRSC checkpoint today; with all manner of confidence since I am sure every of my paperwork and other stuffs are intact. One of the officers flagged me, requested for my driver's license which I gave to him (d original). To my surprise, he went to write a ticket. When I asked why he is issuing me a ticket, he replied with "your vehicle is to be impounded because you are using the old number plate". I was really shocked at this point cos I am not aware we were to change our old number plate anymore since it was resolved sometime ago (except for those that are buying a new, tokunbo or used vehicle). Not to mention the 'millions' of vehicle that were passing us bearing d old number plate, some of which he will flag, check other stuffs, smile and let them go.
So please I am asking if we were again told to change d plates, since I have not heard it being announced. Cos I feel I wanna be extorted.
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by ArcFresky(m): 5:13am On Aug 28, 2018
Ubty:
Drove into a FRSC checkpoint today; with all manner of confidence since I am sure every of my paperwork and other stuffs are intact. One of the officers flagged me, requested for my driver's license which I gave to him (d original). To my surprise, he went to write a ticket. When I asked why he is issuing me a ticket, he replied with "your vehicle is to be impounded because you are using the old number plate". I was really shocked at this point cos I am not aware we were to change our old number plate anymore since it was resolved sometime ago (except for those that are buying a new, tokunbo or used vehicle). Not to mention the 'millions' of vehicle that were passing us bearing d old number plate, some of which he will flag, check other stuffs, smile and let them go.
So please I am asking if we were again told to change d plates, since I have not heard it being announced. Cos I feel I wanna be extorted.

Ouch the people wey suppouse reply you don sleep..
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by urose93(f): 7:02am On Aug 28, 2018
Ubty:

Are you typing this still on the frsc check point, or you vehicle has been impounded already? Have you been booked?. If yes, with what offence(s). Let's know where this is happening. More update please
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by Ubty: 7:14am On Aug 28, 2018
urose93:

Are you typing this still on the frsc check point, or you vehicle has been impounded already? Have you been booked?. If yes, with what offence(s). Let's know where this is happening. More update please
Thank you.... That happened during d day.
I had been booked. The offence is that I am using an old plate.
Location is Uyo, Akwa Ibom State
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by 9icetoo(m): 10:47am On Aug 28, 2018
Next time, give them a scanned copy of your license. With the scanned copy, they dont manufacture charges. The old number plate is still valid unless you registered a new vehicle (09-date) with the old number.
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by urose93(f): 3:33pm On Aug 28, 2018
Ubty:

Thank you.... That happened during d day.
I had been booked. The offence is that I am using an old plate.
Location is Uyo, Akwa Ibom State

Have you paid the fine already?. Where precisely in Uyo so that I can know the team involved. was it in Oron road, Ikot Ekpene road, Abak road, Aka road, Udo Umana road? etc. How much were you charged? prompt response pls
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by Ubty: 7:09pm On Aug 28, 2018
urose93:

Have you paid the fine already?. Where precisely in Uyo so that I can know the team involved. was it in Oron road, Ikot Ekpene road, Abak road, Aka road, Udo Umana road? etc. How much were you charged? prompt response pls
That was at abak Rd, near the state Secretariat
I have not paid the fine yet
Was charged 3 thousand naira

If I have your email, I can upload the booking ticket for you. Didn't know how appropriate it is to put that up here since some personal info is on it.
Sorry about the delayed response. Will have to be refreshing hourly nw. And thank you for ur time
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by MobilityExpress: 7:25am On Aug 29, 2018
This is the kind of thread that is front-page material. A thread that will enlighten the public, but lalaclasticla, myndd44, Dominique Marpol and co, will not push this one. But if it’s python, dancing senator, tonto dike, or bobrisky news, they will be transferred to the front page with the speed of light.

Moderators should do the needful to this thread. Let us find out the truth if old number plates are now a crime to use. If yes: what the penalty is; and if no: so the relevant government authorities can know that their agents are extorting and tormenting the public road users under false laws.

1 Like

Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by d33types: 7:34am On Aug 29, 2018
Mods, this thread deserves an FP.

Dominique , lalasticlala
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by Ubty: 7:57am On Aug 29, 2018
Thanks guys..I believe the Mods will do the needful.
@urose93 good morning. Still waiting on hearing from you cos I have not attempted anything till I'm sure I am not being extorted cool
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by Almaigaa: 8:42am On Aug 29, 2018
Make I follow this thread. cool
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by Ubty: 9:44am On Aug 31, 2018
Anymore tangible information I can be armed with? Cos I wanna try and get to their office today or Monday
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by Ubty: 3:52pm On Sep 06, 2018
Finally i created time to be at the FRSC office today (Aks State Secretariat branch). With the help of my cousin that is working with internal revenue (her dept. is in charge of renewal of papers). Don't mind me, these details is gonna make sense shortly.
We met a few of the FRSC guys to make enquiry, some declined to speak on the matter saying they don't wanna get into d mix. Others just said I shld just go ahead and pay. Another lady said that Eket and Ikot ekpene had been told to get a new plate. When I decided to reasoned further there that only 2 LGAs cannot just be told that, what about those cars that will be driving from d other places into those place? she realized how unsound what she said was and said we go meet some guy that is heading a dept. In internal revenue. After narrating my ordeal to the man, and asking all d ryt questions like 1) Sir, if there is a circular to this effect let us know before u can start prosecuting offenders. 2)why is your office still renewing papers for old number plate (recall my cousin's dept.? Saw such at her desk ) if u intend to phase them out? 3) Don't evn try to come up with d argument that there is a letter for some 2 or 3 LGAs when we r talking about FRSC (FEDERAL) thus making it a national not a state decision. Well he couldn't provide prompt answers to those salient points except that he scribbled them down and promised to raise it at a meeting undecided and that the state was losing revenue cos people went to other states to renew their papers so they had to jettison that idea of forcing the new plates on motorists. Finally I was referred to their headquarters along nwaniba; will find time to be there too tomorrow or Monday.
Not about the money, I just want the right thing to be done. Felt happy when I exposed a few of them today at Ikot ekpene Rd. Saw FRSC Marshalls and some bus drivers gathering, decided to stop since I was walking. Behold d altercation was about expired tyres. The officers were saying that any tyre from 2014 is already expired. I just quietly got to check theirs...hmmm it was reading[b]4013[/b] i.e since 2013. When I pointed it out, they were saying I don't know how to read it..I for mad. Told them u can confuse these bus drivers but not me! When they saw that d drivers have started getting my attention, they entered their vehicles and zoomed off (2 for that matter). I just hate exploitation!!!!
Sorry for the long read. Just hope the Mods (don't know what criteria they use) can put this up so Nigerians can learn

2 Likes

Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 07, 2018
Ubty:
Anymore tangible information I can be armed with? Cos I wanna try and get to their office today or Monday

Arm yourself with kalashnikov next time. You will be fine
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by nurey(m): 8:16am On Sep 07, 2018
Ubty:
Finally i created time to be at the FRSC office today (Aks State Secretariat branch). With the help of my cousin that is working with internal revenue (her dept. is in charge of renewal of papers). Don't mind me, these details is gonna make sense shortly.
We met a few of the FRSC guys to make enquiry, some declined to speak on the matter saying they don't wanna get into d mix. Others just said I shld just go ahead and pay. Another lady said that Eket and Ikot ekpene had been told to get a new plate. When I decided to reasoned further there that only 2 LGAs cannot just be told that, what about those cars that will be driving from d other places into those place? she realized how unsound what she said was and said we go meet some guy that is heading a dept. In internal revenue. After narrating my ordeal to the man, and asking all d ryt questions like 1) Sir, if there is a circular to this effect let us know before u can start prosecuting offenders. 2)why is your office still renewing papers for old number plate (recall my cousin's dept.? Saw such at her desk ) if u intend to phase them out? 3) Don't evn try to come up with d argument that there is a letter for some 2 or 3 LGAs when we r talking about FRSC (FEDERAL) thus making it a national not a state decision. Well he couldn't provide prompt answers to those salient points except that he scribbled them down and promised to raise it at a meeting undecided and that the state was losing revenue cos people went to other states to renew their papers so they had to jettison that idea of forcing the new plates on motorists. Finally I was referred to their headquarters along nwaniba; will find time to be there too tomorrow or Monday.
Not about the money, I just want the right thing to be done. Felt happy when I exposed a few of them today at Ikot ekpene Rd. Saw FRSC Marshalls and some bus drivers gathering, decided to stop since I was walking. Behold d altercation was about expired tyres. The officers were saying that any tyre from 2014 is already expired. I just quietly got to check theirs...hmmm it was reading[b]4013[/b] i.e since 2013. When I pointed it out, they were saying I don't know how to read it..I for mad. Told them u can confuse these bus drivers but not me! When they saw that d drivers have started getting my attention, they entered their vehicles and zoomed off (2 for that matter). I just hate exploitation!!!!
Sorry for the long read. Just hope the Mods (don't know what criteria they use) can put this up so Nigerians can learn

there was a court injuction back then stopping FRSC from impounding vehicles or giving ticket for old number plates.

They just wanted to try their luck on you and obviously it worked. if you had held your ground when they stopped you they would have think twice.

for others who would also experience such, the key word is to know the right thing, don't beg or argue too much with them, when approached tell the officer that if he is sure that is his work let him book you, look serious don't talk too much or argue, even when others are arguing tell them to shut up and let him do his work if he is sure that's what he was told to do. The speed at which he would tear the ticket and beg you to go would alarm you

My experience
I was driving to ogun through the badagry express when I ws flanked down, my sienna was full had 2 elder brothers, their wives and children.
They took my original DL and checked everywhere aand everything, the fault found is a passenger side burn brake bulb, I still had the driverside working and the middle roof brake lamp.
I simply asked if I can be given a warning for these and they said nah booking sure pass, as I was discussing and lamenting unfair treatment my brother got done and asked me to shut up and let him book me for the lamp if he was sure that's his work, with arms akibo and strong face my bro was adamant is should not teach him his job.

The road safety guy afraid was blabbing about my bro attitude and asking him to continue snapping him for uploading on the net (my bro held no phone) he allowed us to go.

because the offence was not a bookable one but a warning should be ok

I knew the law and how things were supposed to be

He was afraid of the unknown (my bro grin)
Re: Please Clarify. Am I About To Be Scammed By FRSC? by CilicMarin: 2:06pm On Oct 18, 2018
urose93:

How are you?

(1) (Reply)

I Need Car For User Or Taxify / 47Million Naira Tesla Model X Electric SUV Spotted In Anambra / Tyre Pressures: Save Yourself!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.