Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / . (756 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

. by ndachee: 12:28pm On Aug 28, 2018
Re: . by SawOnPedia: 12:56pm On Aug 28, 2018
I dont care if you are Yoruba or not. I know the purpose for this stu pid write up is to garner attention.

Your Aunty and the rest of yall can keep the Yoruba language out of your mouth because whether y'all speak the language or not, Yoruba language is the most widely spoken African language outside Africa. Go and see on Wikipedia, I dont see how its going extinct.

Many oyinbo scholars are coming to Africa to learn the language.

Even the Lagosians you are talking about have made the Yoruba language a core subject in schools.
Re: . by pansophist(m): 3:59pm On Aug 28, 2018
SawOnPedia:
I dont care if you are Yoruba or not. I know the purpose for this stu pid write up is to garner attention.

Your Aunty and the rest of yall can keep the Yoruba language out of your mouth because whether y'all speak the language or not, Yoruba language is the most widely spoken African language outside Africa. Go and see on Wikipedia, I dont see how its going extinct.

Many oyinbo scholars are coming to Africa to learn the language.

Even the Lagosians you are talking about have made the Yoruba language a core subject in schools.

Actually, your write up is the stupid one (pun intended), and only goes to show that the logic you used to conclude that indigenous languages are not up for extinction is stunted, to put it mildly.

Fun fact, many foreigners are learning Gaelic, and it is taught in Irish schools, even most street names are translated to Gaelic and the government has done all it can to preserve the native language of the Irish people but guess what? the language will inevitably go into extinction simply because to preserve and perpetuate a language, it has to be the main language of communication in all areas of the society, just like how English is in Nigeria. The Europeans understand this concept really well hence, they made sure that all the countries they colonized use their language as the official. Teaching your native language as a subject is like covering a deep wound with a bandage, it is only a matter of time, the wound beneath will swell, and the covering tape will pull off, never to be used again. Conversely, it is a matter of time before English will reign supreme, it may take a centuries or more, but it will happen if current trends continue.

Can you get help in the bank or most institution in Nigeria in Yoruba compare to if you speak English? are your chances higher toasting a girl in Yoruba as oppose to an impeccable command in English? regardless of what you studied, can you eloquently express concepts in their technical terms in your native language? I strongly guess the answer to all these is no, but somehow, you still see no reason to believe that Nigerian languages are under threat?

Nigerian languages are endangered, kids study and learn in English while their native language is taught as a subject and sometimes, elective. It is mostly our parents that pass down the language to us instead of the system, your president and governors address the public in English, and in all areas of commercial activities, education, entertainment, et al, English holds the supreme ground on all. As the years go by, less and fewer kids will speak their native language until it reaches its extinction.

(1) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About Chukwu Okike (most High) And Ekwensu (satan) / Ogene Nkirika Festival, A Parade Of Beautiful Culture And Exciting Rags (video) / 顏智華,一個劣迹斑斑的騙子

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.