Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,157 members, 7,849,585 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 04:12 AM

What Does Nigerian Flag Mean To You? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Does Nigerian Flag Mean To You? (272 Views)

Russia University Hoisted Nigerian Flag To Honour Faith Ebunoluwa Ojedokun / Does Nigerian Tertiary Certificates Have Strong Relevance Abroad? / Nigerian Student In Taiwan University Makes His School Raise The Nigerian Flag. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Nigerian Flag Mean To You? by sunky97: 2:31pm On Aug 28, 2018
This is Nigeria and our symbol is the Nigerian Flag.

Let us all, as Nigerians, hold the respect that is due, not only to our flag, our symbol of freedom, but to all of those who have given their lives and time defending her.

Have you thought about what the Nigerian Flag means?

What it symbolizes? Have you taught your children the history of the Nigerian Flag?

The flag of Nigeria was designed in 1959 and first officially hoisted on 1 October 1960. The flag has three vertical bands of green, white, green. The two green stripes represent Nigeria’s natural wealth, while the white band represents peace.
The flag was designed by Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi in a competition held in 1959.

Akinkunmi was a 23-year-old student at the time he designed the flag. He was studying at Norwich Technical College in London, England, when he saw an advertisement in a newspaper that submissions were being accepted for the design of a new national flag of Nigeria.

The original submission had a red radiating sun badge in the central white vertical band with a green vertical band on each side.

After the badge was removed by the judges, the flag has remained unchanged. It was first officially used on 1 October 1960, the day Nigeria was granted independence from the United Kingdom.

I often think of how our flag grew into what it is today. It is so much more than 2 colors or a decoration. It is truly humbling to think of all that was given and sacrificed so that our flag, the Nigerian flag can fly freely across this nation.

Nigerian flag is a symbol not only of dignity of labour, valor, purity, creativity, vigilance, perseverance and Justice; it is a symbol of freedom. Freedom that has been fought so hard for over the decades. Freedom from,Oppression and slavery ( physical, mental and financial slavery).

I am born and raised a Nigerian, and the symbol of my country is Nigerian Flag. That flag will fly freely in my hand and should fly freely in any space Nigerians are found or in front of any building across this country.

Too many have fought and died for this country and what the flag represents. To NOT fly it freely is and would be a disgrace to all those who have fought for and protected our country throughout the years.

This honorable symbol has been burned, spit upon and stomped on, and yet she rises again and again. Let us all, as Nigerians, hold the respect that is due, not only to our flag, our symbol of freedom, but to all of those who have given their lives and time defending her.
May God bless Nigeria and those who defend her.
http://tellmystory.com.ng/what-does-nigerian-flag-mean-to-you/

Re: What Does Nigerian Flag Mean To You? by chiommy123(f): 2:47pm On Aug 28, 2018
The same thing I mean to Nigeria
Re: What Does Nigerian Flag Mean To You? by Albinoflash(m): 2:47pm On Aug 28, 2018
As long as bubu is in power it means nothing to me
Re: What Does Nigerian Flag Mean To You? by LuciferChristi: 3:09pm On Aug 28, 2018
As an Afonja man, to me, the two greens represent ewedu soup & the inevitable, green diarrhoea faeces that follows.

The white represents the tissue I use in wiping my ass afterwards.

1 Like

Re: What Does Nigerian Flag Mean To You? by kodded(m): 3:19pm On Aug 28, 2018
the white stands for peace.....is that an irony or what ?

abeg korret people check my signature cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Utilitarianism In John Stuart Mill (A Critical Appraisal) / So Etranzact/pocketmoni Is A Scam Company Too / Mediterranean Scholarship For Master’s Degree In North Cyprus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.