Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,833 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains (25187 Views)

Portugal Opens World's Longest Pedestrian Suspension Bridge On Mountains(Pics) / Almat Farms: The "Obudu Ranch" Of Abuja / Snow Capped Akampka Mountains And Mount Cameroon Visible From Calabar (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by savio93(m): 12:58pm On Aug 31, 2018
Nice description.

It brought back memories of Obudu.
But you didn't speak about the air ride from the top to bottom and the beautifully sight of the snake like roads.
You didn't tell us to make sure we go with our cardigans because the cold is damning.
All in all....
Beautiful description.

Hope to visit it again one day.

Once more... Yangankule
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by gustav25: 12:58pm On Aug 31, 2018
Oceannaagent:

Are you an investor?
lol . No ,I'm no investor but just a guy that wants to tour Obudu hence I need firs hand info on financial strength
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Youngzedd(m): 12:59pm On Aug 31, 2018
Not bad.
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by kulikuli45: 1:02pm On Aug 31, 2018
mantosa:
To get to Obudu, there are two options as flights are not currently going there directly. You can either fly to Calabar and take a drive down for about 8-9 hours or you can fly into Enugu to cut the road trip down to 4 hours.

OR go through Benue. Obudu is 1hr 30mins from Makurdi.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Marvelous101: 1:21pm On Aug 31, 2018
Pls how much does it cost to visit this beautiful place... At least lemme try nigeria this time than Dubai
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Lush100(m): 1:25pm On Aug 31, 2018
was there 2010.
(precisely October 2010)
took those carriers up the place.

kind of felt a bit difficult breathing at that height (may be the cold) where there were bars, some African crafts too.
they had clothing there too for sale & hats too

of course some white dudes where there.
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Pvin: 1:28pm On Aug 31, 2018
op many people have been asking of the financial implication and you kept quiet, is lodging there free? or you prefer us to contact you personally so you become a middle man and cut your share?

4 Likes

Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by doe: 1:28pm On Aug 31, 2018
Been there. Worth the trip at least once. But not in a hurry to repeat. Bad roads!
The staff at the ranch are not getting paid and are resorting to begging residents.

Anyone intending to stay can ask for a discount. They are very generous. I think I paid under 30k for 3 nights including my breakfast and dinner. I stayed on the ranch though.

1 Like

Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by walosky(m): 1:29pm On Aug 31, 2018
Hope you're the most wicked being on earth, I swear!

Having written your tiresome epistle on Obudu, it happened to be these good-forsaken pictures that you could post as a panoramic view of the ranch?

Anu offia!!

Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by lekoni2(m): 1:39pm On Aug 31, 2018
Obudu cattle ranch is a shadow of it former self all thanks to the current state leadership..don't deliberately get yourself pissed.
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Heemcelph: 1:42pm On Aug 31, 2018
At least, I've been there before. tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Aquariann: 1:44pm On Aug 31, 2018
kulikuli45:

OR go through Benue. Obudu is 1hr 30mins from Makurdi.

Even Obudu town is more than 2 hours from Makurdi. Abi you dey fly? Yandev-Katsina-Ala stretch alone go chop like 45mins - 1hr.

1 Like

Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Heemcelph: 1:46pm On Aug 31, 2018
doe:
Been there. Worth the trip at least once. But not in a hurry to repeat. Bad roads!
The staff at the ranch are not getting paid and are resorting to begging residents.

Anyone intending to stay can ask for a discount. They are very generous. I think I paid under 30k for 3 nights including my breakfast and dinner. I stayed on the ranch though.
When I was there the staffers operating the cable cars were on strike, going up and down was strictly with cabs/bikes and trust me it was something I was scared of, like one would fall off the cliff.
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Heemcelph: 1:48pm On Aug 31, 2018
Aquariann:

Even Obudu town is more than 2 hours from Makurdi. Abi you dey fly? Yandev-Katsina-Ala stretch alone go chop like 45mins - 1hr.
I thought of that too and then again he said if one flies to Enugu, you cannot fly to Makurdi right? No airport in Makurdi except the military tarmac at the base and it's not meant for everybody.
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Aquariann: 1:55pm On Aug 31, 2018
Heemcelph:

I thought of that too and then again he said if one flies to Enugu, you cannot fly to Makurdi right? No airport in Makurdi except the military tarmac at the base and it's not meant for everybody.

Perhaps those coming from Abuja through Makurdi. It'll pay them to come by road than fly to Enugu or Calabar and than begin another road trip to Obudu.

In any case, a decent driver should make Obudu town in 4hrs from Enugu, 3hrs from Makurdi and then another 45mins -1hr from Obudu town to the top of the ranch.
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by ahmEenu(m): 2:04pm On Aug 31, 2018
Cryomancer:
angry

How come we can only spend 4 days and 3 nights there.... shey dem dey minus one night for everybody ni?
WAIT, WHAT DA mess?. . NA WA O. HE JUST CONFUSE EVERYONE
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by adeoluphilips: 2:07pm On Aug 31, 2018
mantosa:
When you go to Obudu, you’ll understand that the hills are really alive.

Despite the fact that it is called Obudu Plateau, it is actually located in the Obanliku local Government area which is about 60km from Obudu town. It is on these mountains that the famous cattle ranch was built.

To get to Obudu, there are two options as flights are not currently going there directly. You can either fly to Calabar and take a drive down for about 8-9 hours or you can fly into Enugu to cut the road trip down to 4 hours.

Once you get past the numerous checkpoints and bad roads along the way, you finally get to the plateaus and you are welcomed by the figure of a cow head perched on a ‘gate’. This is the beginning of many picture worthy moments as you are wowed by the mountains and the clouds that are within your reach.

Day 1

After arriving at the ranch and settling in your accommodation, have some lunch and begin your first activity of the day.

This is a tour of the Becheve nature reserve. This reserve is home to various plants/vegetation and also has a canopy walk.

At the end of the canopy walk, you climb a tower and you get to view the numerous plants available on the mountain and some mountain peaks are also highlighted.

The thrill really is the canopy walk and if you have mischievous people like I am, you’ll have some jumping and scaring the living daylight out of you.

After you get off the canopy walk, specifically asked to be taken to the Fern tree grove within the reserve. Some don’t get to visit but trust me it’s worth it. It’s almost like walking into an enchanted forest and has the most amazing white lilies. Not only are these lilies pretty to look at, they also smell divine. I likened the smell to talcum aka baby powder. There’s also a little river running through the middle and if you didn’t know any better you would think you were in a place right out of a fairy tale.

After walking round the enchanted forest, take a walk round the grounds of the resort built on the Obudu Mountains but before that, don’t forget to take a picture infront of the Becheve signage as a way to show you were really there.
As you walk round, you will notice the facilities that belong to the resort – basketball courts, restaurant, steak house and more importantly, the locals.

You can end the night playing board games with your group if you packed some or just watch TV till you’re tired and you call it a night.

Day 2

If you’re a morning person, 6 am is the time to set out. This is to go bird watching. Obudu is home to various species from the yellow bird to the red long claw bird. During the sightseeing, you see the various accommodation options such as the mountain villas, African huts, the conference room and also the presidential villa which is perched at the top of a hill in all its glory.

The most exciting part about this is while looking for birds, you literally go through the jungle. Like someone in our group said, it was like walking into Jurassic park. It was just us, bushes, the sound of streams and the birds. A couple of people will fall on their ass because the soil might be wet but it made for a couple of laughs.

When you get out of the jungle, you realize you went in the middle of one mountain and came out of the other side. It’s astonishing because if anyone points out to you that you would walking in the middle of mountains, you would chime in that it’s impossible, but alas it can be done.

After coming out alive on the other side, take some pictures at the top of the mountain you’ve just conquered and head on home because remember, you haven’t had breakfast. However keep an eye out for the most amazing valley views. It was breathtaking. We all had to stop and marvel at its beauty. Just in case you’re wondering, it’s on the left side of the presidential lodge so now you can’t miss it. Thank me later.

While birdwatching seems like child’s play, it takes about 2 hours and if you’re a budding photography this could easily be 3 hours. So be ready to be on your feet for that long.

After birdwatching, head back and have breakfast, shower, gist, rest and then it’s time to head to the grotto falls.

Grotto falls is one of the many waterfalls in the mountains and probably the most famous. It has a resting point, a little pool and people often grill food there if they’re having a party. If you’re lucky, before you enter you’ll see a horse and a ride can be organized. You can have a picnic there but if you’re just there to see it, after about 20 minutes you’ll probably be itching to go. I don’t blame you, many more things await you.

One thing a lot of people don’t mention is that there are villages in the mountains and 7 of them are easily accessible. This means after grotto falls, you can do a tour of the village.

From Opaganza (banana village) to little Cape Town, you meet a variety of indigenes who are separated by streams or stones. These people are friendly. A few of them are skeptical about why you’re taking their pictures but in general they’re very welcoming. You’ll hardly pass a villager without hearing good day or ‘yangukle’.

During your walk through, make sure you buy something from them. It could be palm wine, bananas, ube (purple pear), corn, etc but by doing this, you’re contributing to their economy and empowering them.

After this, it’s time to head back home and enjoy evening. Besides you need to sleep early as the next day is about to be hectic but lit!

Day 3

Day 3 is the most exciting day. You will be walking in the clouds on a mission to see the border between Cameroon and Nigeria. Make sure you wear a swimsuit underneath your hiking clothes and pack a small towel in your back pack. You’ll see why later. Also, pack some water, carry your speakers and set off with your friends. This hike is intense but my oh my it’s so worth it. The excitement when you hear you’re 1603m above sea level is honestly next to none.

After crossing this personal best, you start to notice Fulani settlements. I couldn’t believe it, settlements at the top of the mountain? We were amazed.

However what was more amazing was that we entered the first settlement and the Fulani women welcomed us like they had been expecting us. We sat on their stools, they brought out nunu (yoghurt) and some meat. It was the most thoughtful thing ever and continues to add to the notion that don’t judge a tribe by everything you hear on the news.

Even if you don’t do anything while you’re in Obudu make sure you do that. After visiting the Fulanis and you step out, you start to see the Cameroonian Mountains and if the clouds aren’t there you’ll see all of them clearly. This will be your reward for being patient.

When all this is done, you can start your descent. For an extra treat, you take a different route which leads you to beautiful waterfall that not a lot of people know of. This means you have the whole place to yourself. The waterfall forms a natural pool at the bottom and if you’re a good swimmer, you should jump into into it. Trust me it’s safe as 4 of us did it and I’m here to share the story.

If you can’t swim, stay at the top which is nicknamed the kiddies section. The water is cold but it offers such a relief from the hike you just finished. I know I said seeing the Cameroun border is your reward but I lied. This is your real reward. You’ll be shocked that you jumped into a natural pool in Nigeria. I mean you only see these things on TV.

When you think you’re done, dry off and continue back home as you still have the Holy Mountain to go to.

The Holy Mountain is named so because apparently when the missionaries first went to Obudu this was where they camped. It’s also believed that if you pray there, your prayers will get answered. We all had one thing or the other that we need sorted out so why not just give it a try.

From the top of Holy Mountain, you see the waterfall you just jumped into and if you’re in no hurry, just sit there for a few minutes and soak in the beauty and magic that mountains and clouds create when they are put together; God is really the master artist.

It then starts to dawn on you that your time at Obudu is coming to an end. With a bit of sadness, you start to head back to your cabin but on the bright side, you’ll have a bonfire and barbeque which is the tradition.

The bonfire is filled with barbecued food from corn to plantain, ram to chicken. Drinks are flowing, music is blaring, spirits are high and it’s a way to end your Obudu trip with a bang.

The next day at 6am you depart to catch that 1.50 flight back to Lagos from Enugu airport.
You leave with memories and pictures that will last a lifetime and you’ll also be able to boast of visiting Nigeria’s famous mountain ranges.

Now this isn’t just a story I’m telling, its based on my personal experience and because I love you guys, I decided to help you get the most out of your Obudu trip.

For accommodation, I stayed in a private cabin owned by the Obudu Conservation Centre. They are independent of the resort and their job is to protect the wildlife and plants on those mountains. I highly recommend their cabins as they give a vantage view and they are literally in the clouds. They all come with kitchens for each cabins, heaters in each room and a generator.

Holler at them or me and we can hook you up.
So my question is, when are you off to Obudu?

Source: http://tushmagazine.com.ng/spend-4-days-3-nights-obudu-mountains/

Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by ojsmscom(m): 2:16pm On Aug 31, 2018
To buhari and National Assembly,pls pass a bill for death sentence/life imprisonment for anyone who embezzled public fund,as we have for kidnapping and armed robbery with gun.only when this is done we will know that the fight against corruption is real pls share on your whatsapp and Facebook wall.
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Lexusgs430: 2:21pm On Aug 31, 2018
sweetilicious:
Please how much can one keep for sundries and expenses there.I want a cool time for my leave.

Can we go together?
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by LordIsaac(m): 2:25pm On Aug 31, 2018
Hmmmm.....this is 2018....how much will 3 nights cost a young man who wants to at least try and visit another state since outsiɗe is not goable? cheesy
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Lexusgs430: 2:27pm On Aug 31, 2018
ojsmscom:
To buhari and National Assembly,pls pass a bill for death sentence/life imprisonment for anyone who embezzled public fund,as we have for kidnapping and armed robbery with gun.only when this is done we will know that the fight against corruption is real pls share on your whatsapp and Facebook wall.

The bill go catch Buhari too and NASS crooks, so why do you think it's in their interest not to pass such a Chinese bill?
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by rocoh(m): 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2018
Cost of the cabin
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by wellmax(m): 2:45pm On Aug 31, 2018
mantosa:

Source: http://tushmagazine.com.ng/spend-4-days-3-nights-obudu-mountains/

I want to spend my honeymoon here, any advice especially the cost etc
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by doctore212(m): 3:14pm On Aug 31, 2018
Cryomancer:
sad

I've read and learnt how I will enjoy my nights there. Thanks OP

I will go there if I don get money... but now I'm still hustling.

One last question... is there olosho there? And how much them cost abeg?
. There is no Olosho but u can get a sex doll
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Nobody: 3:23pm On Aug 31, 2018
To spend less on accommodation, lodge in Government Guest House, Obudu. Though about 1-2km from the foot of the mountain but it is cheap if you are on budget.

As a University Student leader, we took our faculty to Students' Trip there some years ago.
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 31, 2018
I have been to Kwa Falls, Drill Ranch, Agbokim, Obudu, Tinapa, Marina Resort, Mary Slessor's grave site etc.

Great experience!

1 Like

Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by automatix: 3:30pm On Aug 31, 2018
Yewandequeen:
Looks lovelier than I thought

Dear lord I need to go on vacation Arrrggghhhhh
let me take u there. How about that?
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Yewandequeen(f): 3:34pm On Aug 31, 2018
automatix:
let me take u there. How about that?
nooooooo

U v motive
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by Kalashnikov102(m): 3:46pm On Aug 31, 2018
neonly:
Obudu is really a nice place to be remembered1st tym I went der (protea hotel) a friend of mind was telling me to organize a babe for myself but me I was like men I dint need it
Guy d cold der is hmmmm
D air is very clean not d polluted type we breathe down here
D environment make pple living der fat
At last it always sad when u have leave
Really enjoy my 4 yr contract with them I can never forget d memories

Like how much person fit budget?
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by automatix: 3:56pm On Aug 31, 2018
Yewandequeen:
nooooooo

U v motive
lwkmd
Re: How To Spend 4 Days & 3 Nights On The Obudu Mountains by neonly: 4:21pm On Aug 31, 2018
Kalashnikov102:

Like how much person fit budget?

Transportation excluded der rooms are basically from 45k upwards per night rest of expenditure can't be budget honestly
Dat place is fun honestly

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nnamdi Ezechi Survives Accident As Mopol Attached To Him Dies (Photos) / Stay And Develop Your Country- Briton To Nigerian Youths / Governor Alex Otti Hands Over 9 Road Projects To Contractors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.