Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,130 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying (19843 Views)

Is this Why Students Fail Exams? / The Entire Final Year Biochemistry Students Fail An Exam In #EKSU / Here Are 11 Good Reasons Why Students Fail Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Ebrus1(m): 7:08pm On Aug 31, 2018
There is need to understand the major reasons why students fail examination in spite of reading so as not to fall victim of the situation. As a student, if you fail an examination, most people including your parent, friends and loved ones do not hesitate to conclude that you have failed to study for the examination. This conclusion is in accordance with the facts based on past events and history,in fact, failure to study for an examination is the major reason for failure.

[img]https://ebrusjblog.files./2018/08/images8.jpg?w=286[/img]

However, there are rare cases where students study for an examination and at the end fail such examination. This rare occurrence is due to the some factors which students fail to consider in the course of preparation.

Some of this factors will be considered in this article.

1. READING ONLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF THE EXAMINATION
This is the major reason why people read. However, it should be noted that there is no end to education. It is not about reading for examination, passing the examination and ending it like that. Your purpose of reading should be because you want to acquire knowledge. With this mindset, you’ll get to understand what you are reading better.

2. LACK OF STUDY PLAN

The importance of having a study plan should not be underestimated. It is a vital step towards an effective reading. Many student read for examination without effective planning. This attitude makes students fail to meet the requirements for the examination.

To ensure an effective study plan, the factors below should be noted:-

Set daily targets and ensure you achieve them. If due to any reason you are not able to meet the daily target, try as much as possible to sacrifice your night or other time to achieve them. Don’t leave daily target unachieved! Reading timetable should be drawn and ensure you stick to it! Spend more time on your weakness(es)

3. FAILURE TO MEET THE EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS

It is a common attitude of examination bodies to have a range of required knowledge from their candidates. This is usually found in the syllabus. Some students read randomly without even knowing what is expected of them by the examination body. As a result, many read below expected while others waste useful time that should have been used to cover the whole syllabus above expected on few topics. They end up knowing few questions from the little topics they have read.

To avoid falling victim of this:-
Ensure you have the official syllabus
Use the textbooks recommended by the examination body(if any)
Ensure you cover the syllabus before the commencement of the examination.

4. INEFFECTIVE READING

Reading effectively is the key to passing an examination. The question you should ask is “How do I read effectively?” Simple! You can read my article on “How to read effectively and remember everything”

5. LACK OF CONFIDENCE

Few students that read effectively fail examination due to lack of confidence. However, Confidence is only built up when you have prepared adequately for and examination. So, read effectively, confide in yourself and the story will change.

6. NEGLECTING THE POWER OF PRAYER

Every process in the life of a man is incomplete without prayer, so don’t neglect prayer while reading for an examination. Prayer is the key to success.

Source: https://ebrusjblog./2018/08/31/6-reasons-students-fail-examination-despite-studying/

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Huchennar(m): 7:21pm On Aug 31, 2018
7. READING SOME PARTICULAR ASPECT AND NEGLECTING THE REST

I also did this. within yourself, you pick range of topics that you feel questions will come out from and then neglect others. reason being that the lecturer/teacher in charge did not dwell on it. and your greatest nightmare comes when that particular part is "question no 1 is compulsory"
(POS203 that year)

10 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Ebrus1(m): 8:41pm On Aug 31, 2018
Huchennar:
7. READING SOME PARTICULAR ASPECT AND NEGLECTING THE REST

I also did this. within yourself, you pick range of topics that you feel questions will come out from and then neglect others. reason being that the lecturer/teacher in charge did not dwell on it. and your greatest nightmare comes when that particular part is "question no 1 is compulsory"
(POS203 that year)

Thanks for your contribution

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by CapitanS: 10:02am On Sep 01, 2018
What has prayer got to do with it

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Ebrus1(m): 5:50pm On Sep 01, 2018
CapitanS:

Why do you need prayer for success in exam?

Success in any examination whether written or oral does not only depend on how prepared you are but on a lot of factors. Even though to pass an exam, hard work and being well prepared are the key, there are many other things to think about.

There have been cases of people who prepared for an exam very well, wrote the exam very well but when the result came out, they failed the exam. Also, I have heard stories about people who prepared diligently for the exam, read everything they could but when they got to the examination hall, they did not know what to write. Situations can be different but they show that sometimes knowledge is not enough.

So success in an exam does not depend on your level of preparation. The mood of your examiner when marking your script is very important. Mistakes happen during marking, compilation, and recording. Above all, you should trust God for the success you expect in your exam.

That is why Paul said in Romans 9 verse 16 “So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.”

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by mairoP: 6:05pm On Sep 01, 2018
CapitanS:
thank you. even if you don't pray, you read or work hard, you will still pass. even those that pray, when they fail, they will say its temptation.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Ebrus1(m): 6:41pm On Sep 01, 2018
mairoP:

thank you. even if you don't pray, you read or work hard, you will still pass. even those that pray, when they fail, they will say its temptation.

You Should read the post above bro

cc Lalasticlala
cc Richiez
cc Fynestboi
cc olawalebabs

Abeg this is worth FP
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by tstx(m): 8:10pm On Sep 01, 2018
If you fail despite studying hard it only means one thing. you've bin studying the wrong way.... use these techniques and your life will change
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Wizdude(m): 8:10pm On Sep 01, 2018
All true.

But Mr Op, you did not consider when the lecturer (at university level now) is sent from hell to torment you
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 01, 2018
Hoping to copy from a brilliant friend. It is when lecturer rearranges your sitting formation, church agba sagrin
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by redpencil: 8:10pm On Sep 01, 2018
Study the course you love.

Meanwhile, kindly like my photos to give me opportunity to earn $5

https://www.nairaland.com/4709473/september-photo-competition#70817213
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by felai: 8:11pm On Sep 01, 2018
8. Lecturers setting questions beyond the confines of the syllabus
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Stallion93(m): 8:12pm On Sep 01, 2018
Truth is I've never never had a study plan and I can't remember failing any major exam(JAMB no folo o)
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by muhammed50(m): 8:14pm On Sep 01, 2018
7. Copying
I once wrote a correct answer but changed it to a wrong one after copying from someone...

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by kennypoju04: 8:20pm On Sep 01, 2018
Lecturer wickedness
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by pocohantas(f): 8:21pm On Sep 01, 2018
Spending too much time on things that don't improve your GP.

Cc: saintsammurai. Come read and learn smiley
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by YINKS89(m): 8:26pm On Sep 01, 2018
HANDWRITING.......
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Exponental(m): 8:40pm On Sep 01, 2018
Misinterpretation of question!
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Damcomolux(m): 8:46pm On Sep 01, 2018
Love That
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by edicied: 8:48pm On Sep 01, 2018
Ignorance - If you don't know it you don't know it!!
Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Nobody: 8:52pm On Sep 01, 2018
One major problem I noticed throughout when I was in school is that most students read to pass exam, they don't read to understand the course, thereby cramming almost everything in the textbook which makes it easier for them to fail exam 'cause they won't be able to remember all what the crammed.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Darkseid(m): 8:59pm On Sep 01, 2018
The main reason why students read and fail exams in Nigeria is because they are not good at cramming period. If you read to understand, you are bound to fail but if you can cram the lecturer's note word for word without even understanding it, you can still get your A. Sometimes these lazy lecturers give out scripts to other students to mark and using a method aside the one in used in the marking scheme means automatic failure.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by NACHIEVER: 9:05pm On Sep 01, 2018
Colourich:
One major problem I noticed throughout when I was in school is that most students read to pass exam, they don't read to understand the course, thereby cramming almost everything in the textbook which makes it easier for them to fail exam 'cause they won't be able to remember all what the crammed.
Were you exempted?

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 01, 2018
NACHIEVER:

Were you exempted?
Initially, I was a type that prefer to cram in secondary school, but as I got admitted into the university, I realized that I can't cram all the courses, I will fail woefully if I do and my course needs serious understanding for you to be able to pass the exams, so I found a way to cool down, read and understand instead of cramming, it worked for me, during exam, I answer the questions in my own understanding, I don't use the words exactly the way it is in the textbook or handout and guess what? it worked for me, I graduated with good grades.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by dipadopoly: 9:23pm On Sep 01, 2018
Initially, I was a type that prefer to cram in secondary school

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by yinkarh187(m): 9:24pm On Sep 01, 2018
Lol I'm guilty of all these points except number 6 (prayer) and my gp is less than 0.2 shy from 1st class, truth is education in Nigeria is a scam

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by NACHIEVER: 9:26pm On Sep 01, 2018
Colourich:
Initially, I was a type that prefer to cram in secondary school, but as I got admitted into the university, I realized that I can't cram all the courses, I will fail woefully if I do and my course needs serious understanding for you to be able to pass the exams, so I found a way to cool down, read and understand instead of cramming, it worked for me, during exam, I answer the questions in my own understanding, I don't use the words exactly the way it is in the textbook or handout and guess what? it worked for me, I graduated with good grades.
All right.,
I'm happy for you, you made it.,

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by CaptainFM1: 9:27pm On Sep 01, 2018
CapitanS:

Prayers will fight your village people that followed you to the exam hall. I've seen genius that forgot to write his name on his exam paper.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying by Dwhyte(m): 9:29pm On Sep 01, 2018
CapitanS:
Olodo! grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cultism On The Rise In Secondary Schools / Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations / Caption This Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.