Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,245 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? (3913 Views)

Your Experiences With Nairaland Auto Dealers / Have You Ever Bought A Car From Nairaland Auto Section?share Your Experiences / Nairaland Auto Show- With Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Midas02(m): 7:15am On Jun 30, 2010
I have watched with utter dismay as the contents and character of this brilliant forum has metamorphosed and changed over the last 2 years! What I have witnessed is a gradual but relentless take-over of all available real estate, space and thread by commercial entities and auto dealers like the notorious and infamous Water Hyacinth plant that invaded the waterways of Lagos a few years ago. The number of dealers and sellers on the site has grown exponentially to the point where any factual enquiries, interesting discussion or even a hint of intelligent dialogue has become a rare sight! - mostly being choked and squeezed out of life long before others can even see it OR join in.

The relentless onslaught of these sellers has been further enhanced by a mannerless and nasty commercially induced trickery, whereby their advertised ware(thread) is relentlessly and callously "Bumped up" every few hours so as to ensure that they are always on the front page at all times to the detriment of all other discussions and threads! These days when you come to Nairaland’s Auto section you can be rest assured that all you will see are the same few dominant sellers and aggressive dealers who are each pushing several threads all at the same time and a few other lesser sellers who are also fighting for exposure. Outside of that, nothing intelligent or inspiring is seen - I am sure that was not the intent and vision of the creator and host. I am also sure we can do things in a much more civilized way!

When I joined the Auto section, I was both interested in the forums potential for business and the wonderful opportunity it presented for rubbing minds with like-minded people with whom I shared mutual interests. I was one of the dealers who started the PRE-ORDER saga and I am sad to see what it has become! However, I must confess that it doesn't come to me as a surprise though. I actually saw this coming a long way off and decided to withdraw my commercial activities from Nairaland altogether as I could not afford to get mixed up with the shenanigan, drama and scandal that was surely inevitable! My name is worth more to me than Gold!

I want to applaud and show gratitude to the founder, creator and host of this website. For his generous spirit, vision, patience and consistency – you are appreciated! It is unfortunate that we Naijas have a way of taking the joy out of anything and everything! Give them a yard they will take a mile! Once we discover a window, we will exploit it brazenly, abuse it and demean it until the window of opportunity is forced to close! This attitude which is induced by greed is our hallmark, our unchanging mentality and it represents and exposes our warped social values! Preservation and conservation is simply not in our DNA! We always kill the goose that lays the golden egg – and it is unfortunate……. VERY UNFORTUNATE!
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Nobody: 7:37am On Jun 30, 2010
Midas, what you've said is very true.

I'm actually more interested in technical debates, bulletins, "how to's" and current and past projects. I did carry out a project, and allowed Nairalanders to follow its progress here, that was way back in 2008. I have since tried to raise awareness in other sides of the Auto section, to let members know there's more to this section than just selling cars, and offering services. I think the Nigerian culture however, doesn't allow for the fostering of topics that don't offer a direct gain, or interest.

I am starting a new project, and would love to chronicle its progress here once more - the previous one was pretty successful, and drew members from other sections, who generally didn't post in the Auto section. Reason? It was something different, something everyone could share in. Not every visitor here is going to buy a car! I also have a lot of other material I'd like to share on here, a "how to" series, that covers everything from a routine service, timing belt replacement, clutch replacement, aircon re-gas through to full-on projects covering car builds and customising, including upgrades and engine / transmission transplants.

But, is Nairaland ready for this?
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by promise72(m): 7:41am On Jun 30, 2010
Midas02:

I have watched with utter dismay as the contents and character of this brilliant forum has metamorphosed and changed over the last 2 years! What I have witnessed is a gradual but relentless take-over of all available real estate, space and thread by commercial entities and auto dealers like the notorious and infamous Water Hyacinth plant that invaded the waterways of Lagos a few years ago. The number of dealers and sellers on the site has grown exponentially to the point where any factual enquiries, interesting discussion or even a hint of intelligent dialogue has become a rare sight! - mostly being choked and squeezed out of life long before others can even see it OR join in.

The relentless onslaught of these sellers has been further enhanced by a mannerless and nasty commercially induced trickery, whereby their advertised ware(thread) is relentlessly and callously "Bumped up" every few hours so as to ensure that they are always on the front page at all times to the detriment of all other discussions and threads! These days when you come to Nairaland’s Auto section you can be rest assured that all you will see are the same few dominant sellers and aggressive dealers who are each pushing several threads all at the same time and a few other lesser sellers who are also fighting for exposure. Outside of that, nothing intelligent or inspiring is seen - I am sure that was not the intent and vision of the creator and host. I am also sure we can do things in a much more civilized way!

When I joined the Auto section, I was both interested in the forums potential for business and the wonderful opportunity it presented for rubbing minds with like-minded people with whom I shared mutual interests. I was one of the dealers who started the PRE-ORDER saga and I am sad to see what it has become! However, I must confess that it doesn't come to me as a surprise though. I actually saw this coming a long way off and decided to withdraw my commercial activities from Nairaland altogether as I could not afford to get mixed up with the shenanigan, drama and scandal that was surely inevitable! My name is worth more to me than Gold!

I want to applaud and show gratitude to the founder, creator and host of this website. For his generous spirit, vision, patience and consistency – you are appreciated! It is unfortunate that we Naijas have a way of taking the joy out of anything and everything! Give them a yard they will take a mile! Once we discover a window, we will exploit it brazenly, abuse it and demean it until the window of opportunity is forced to close! This attitude which is induced by greed is our hallmark, our unchanging mentality and it represents and exposes our warped values! Preservation and conservation is simply not in our DNA! We always kill the goose that lays the golden egg – and it is unfortunate……. VERY UNFORTUNATE!

[size=14pt]Well said. I couldn't have said it better. May be the auto section should be split into 2 sections like the Business. For sale items in one section and other discussions in the other. It will help out a great deal.[/size]
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 30, 2010
^^^ Yes, I'd say that's the only way it would work.

Nigerians by their very nature are stubborn, and would continue to bump sales thread, ignoring all others.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by promise72(m): 7:59am On Jun 30, 2010
The moderator will just make sure that nothing is posted in the wrong section. Discussion forums in one area. Sales and others in the other section.

In the business section, it will be removed immediately if you post items for sale in the forum area.

I mean immediately. I made the mistake once.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Midas02(m): 2:36pm On Jun 30, 2010
That suggestion seems to be a very workable solution. Perhaps someone could suggest it to the website host.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by mastro: 2:36pm On Jun 30, 2010
It was suggested a while ago that the sales be separated, I for one think this is teh way to go. Could someone who has the ear of the Moderator and or Owner please reach out to them, it's got to the stage where it is pretty pointless to start a discussion since it will generally disappear.

As a good example I found this topic on page 3,

Mods the ball is on your court O,
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by BizBooks(m): 6:37pm On Jun 30, 2010
@ Midas02,

You made a very good point. In e-Commerce parlance, what you talked about is known as "Page Hogging" (ie a situation whereby a seller tries to dominate the front page). I know some people don't like it when I make reference to my experience in e-Commerce. But Amazon had this same problem a few years back. They solved it by randomizing the front page. This means that when you land on a front page, what you see will be different from what another person sees. So if a seller keeps modifying his price to be on the front page, there is no guarantee that will happen.

If randomization won't work on NL, then one solution may be to require dealers to "bump" a maximum of 5 or 6 cars a day. Sometimes seeing a dealer "bumping" 10 to 15 cars at once becomes an eyesore. I have access to about 12 cars at the moment. But in the past few weeks, I have decided to display only four at a time primarily to avoid becoming a nuisance to others.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by emeshot: 6:55pm On Jun 30, 2010
wow i like this.i started with nairaland due to what i saw then.but it is not that interesting anymore.though i think i constitute such nuisance too,the truth is bitter. i am really learning from these posts now.@ midas 02,BizBooks,Siena,mastro,promise72 i like these,keep it going
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by trisurface: 8:21pm On Jun 30, 2010
Its Crazy how Bad Habits creep up on you!
We'd mostly assumed it was normal to largely devote Autos section to Sales, with Sellers occasionally displaying 6-9cars at once.
Truthfully, Intellectual,Educative debate has been lacking.
We dont need to go too far to see a Forum on NL that splits sales & discussions into two.
Technology Market takes care of all Microchip devices. Phones Forum discusses Phones. Only Phones. IT & Computers have a different forum. If U post Phone sales in Phone Forum,U mostly get shut down.
Its straightforward enough. Now the tricky part! Getting the Nabob of Nairaland to give his royal assent.
Just stretch out the sceptre slightly, Seun. That will be enough.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jun 30, 2010
The 2 way split would be very welcome, when you are not looking to buy or sell, the ads can get a bit much.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Busybody2(f): 1:13am On Jul 01, 2010
Second-guessing what Seun's response would be - "You are not utilising the thread in this link see below and you are clamouring to have a childboard, brilliant" cool lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-276734.0.html
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by mastro: 10:44am On Jul 01, 2010
well is there anyone who thinks a split would not be a good thing?
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Midas02(m): 1:18am On Jul 02, 2010
It is obvious that splitting the 'classified advertisement' section from the technical discussion forum is the absolute best resolution to this matter. Perhaps someone who has access to Seun will kindly suggest it to him.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by femmy2010(m): 8:45am On Jul 02, 2010
Very well said and i very well believe the seperated forum would be the answer.Kudos to the brain behind this thread and an equal kudos to the propounder of the offered solution.One thing i am sure of is that we can never end learning.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by GeorgeD1(m): 9:00am On Jul 02, 2010
mastro:

It was suggested a while ago that the sales be separated, I for one think this is teh way to go. Could someone who has the ear of the Moderator and or Owner please reach out to them, it's got to the stage where it is pretty pointless to start a discussion since it will generally disappear.

As a good example I found this topic on page 3,

Mods the ball is on your court O,

i think seun has long found a solution to this problem by creating a seperate website for adverts: www.nairalist.com but i'm sure that site is largely underutilised as most people still prefer to post car sales on the autos section. call it force of habit, maybe?
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by mastro: 1:13pm On Jul 02, 2010
i think seun has long found a solution to this problem by creating a seperate website for adverts: www.nairalist.com  but i'm sure that site is largely underutilised as most people still prefer to post car sales on the autos section. call it force of habit, maybe?

thats because our people are stubborn, I understand that there is a risk of reducing traffic if format is changed, however if he doesn't want to change the name just create a sub-forum called "Intelligent Discussions".

Nairalist.com is probably aimed at a different market, which will lead to paid ads in the long run.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by DisGuy: 12:08am On Aug 30, 2010
bump
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Denn(m): 1:23am On Aug 30, 2010
was just thinking about this. i think nairalanders would appreciate a non-advert-strictly-knowledge-upgrade section (or subsection) on our autos column.

thanks all
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by violent(m): 2:35am On Aug 30, 2010
the mods should really do something about this. . .nice write up poster
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 30, 2010
The issue of having a child board for Auto discussions without advertisements, was recently raised with the Admin. The Admin does not believe that the situation in the Auto section is bad enough to create a child board, at this time.

As pointed out by a poster earlier, Auto discussions can be tracked in the auto discussion sticky thread. I will do what I can to keep the thread updated with new discussions as they are posted. This thread itself has an entry
HERE.   

If I miss any recent discussion, please post a link to the discussion in the said Auto discussion thread and I'll do the formating as appropriate. I hope this will help forumites avoid paging through tens or twenties of advertisements in order to find great Auto discussions.

Regards,
Monitor_1
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by BizBooks(m): 3:07pm On Aug 30, 2010
@ Monitor_1,

Thank you for raising this issue with the Admin and for letting us know the result. If the Auto Section cannot be split at this time, you should at least address the fundamental issue raised by Midas02 in his original post. Below is a section of the relevant paragraph:

The relentless onslaught of these sellers has been further enhanced by a mannerless and nasty commercially induced trickery, whereby their advertised ware(thread) is relentlessly and callously "Bumped up" every few hours so as to ensure that they are always on the front page at all times to the detriment of all other discussions and threads! These days when you come to Nairaland’s Auto section you can be rest assured that all you will see are the same few dominant sellers and aggressive dealers who are each pushing several threads all at the same time and a few other lesser sellers who are also fighting for exposure.

This in my opinion is the greatest threat to the Auto Section.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by chelseabmw(m): 3:08pm On Aug 30, 2010
monitor 1 we are honoured to have u here on this thread
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Seun(m): 1:07pm On Aug 31, 2010
The moderator is required to keep this thread up-to-date on a daily basis.  Problem solved.  The moderator can also make discussion threads sticky for a few days after adding them to the list.  The thread is titled ALL DISCUSSION THREADS for a reason: it's supposed to contain ALL DISCUSSION THREADS in the Auto section.  Kudos to the mod for picking it up again.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by chelseabmw(m): 11:05am On Sep 04, 2010
@seun,
tnx
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by VolvoS60(m): 5:34am On Jan 09, 2011
The issues raised by members (on ad listings in the auto section) are still very much alive. Correct me if i'm wrong, but Admin gave the impression that this thread would be moderated on a daily basis. Is this still being done?

I still do not understand why there cannot be a child board for auto discussions. Other posters have raised this issue already and Admin's response was that "the situation is not yet bad enough" to create a child board. How bad is bad enough? I still have to trawl through tons & tons of ads (the same problem the mods attention was drawn to much earlier) to view discussions in the auto section which actually do help me learn something on automobiles. Other sections seem to have solved this ad listing problem. Why not the auto section?

Admin, rethink your position. You have (or had) a good thing going on the auto boards. Don't throw it away. A lot of knowledgeable and experienced people whom the rest of us can learn from simply do not post anymore, precisely because of this ad confusion.

Act promptly to resolve this matter.
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jan 09, 2011
@VolvoS60, Going forward, the thread will indeed be updated on a daily basis. Please use the report to moderator button to notify us of any new discussion thread that may have been missed.

Thanks
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by grrrhh(m): 8:56am On Feb 10, 2017
I just witnessed the birth of car talk
Re: Dearth Of Intelligent Discussions And Dialogues On Nairaland Auto Section? by Nobody: 1:34am On Feb 11, 2017
Midas, what you've said is very true.

I'm actually more interested in technical debates, bulletins, "how to's" and current and past projects. I did carry out a project, and allowed Nairalanders to follow its progress here, that was way back in 2008. I have since tried to raise awareness in other sides of the Auto section, to let members know there's more to this section than just selling cars, and offering services. I think the Nigerian culture however, doesn't allow for the fostering of topics that don't offer a direct gain, or interest.

I am starting a new project, and would love to chronicle its progress here once more - the previous one was pretty successful, and drew members from other sections, who generally didn't post in the Auto section. Reason? It was something different, something everyone could share in. Not every visitor here is going to buy a car! I also have a lot of other material I'd like to share on here, a "how to" series, that covers everything from a routine service, timing belt replacement, clutch replacement, aircon re-gas through to full-on projects covering car builds and customising, including upgrades and engine / transmission transplants.

But, is Nairaland ready for this?
If nairaland us not ready me I dey ready wella. Ever gallant.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kapital Auto Spa Car Wash Opens In Abuja (PHOTOS) / Will I Have Customs Problem With Green Color Car / Trip From PH To Lagos To PH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.