Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. (571 Views)

Dangerous Attitudes Amongst Nigerian Churches In The Diaspora / Africans Are Special Case When It Comes To LGBT Because Of Their Culture - Pope / You Are Special. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Martinez19(m): 6:47pm On Sep 04, 2018
I read a post of HardMirror in a thread of Souless0 and I decided to expand, a little, about what HardMirror wrote there.

Unfortunately, it's not new to see pastors pick out certain little children and bombard them with their so called revelation that they(the children) are special, they have a special destiny of fortune and riches that will make them stand out from their peers and in cases they have a special calling. Christian parents aren't supposed to let this happen as the effect of this act can be dangerous for children. Children who are being constantly told by charlatans(pastors) and have it implied on them that they are special(somehow above their peers) to God and have a bright star grin grow up not realising how serious life's hustling and issues are. They approach life with the mindsets of "everything will easily fall in place for me since it's my destiny" and "if anything happens to me, heaven must move for my sake". They are, to some extent, complacent about life struggles. They grow up having this proud notion that success, favour and future riches are their birthright not knowing that one must be humble and work to earn and deserve.

Reality usually hit these children real hard especially after they graduate from a four to five year degree programme at the university. Immediately after graduation and few months of employment, they don't even humble themselves to do menial jobs to support themselves because they believe that they are "yahweh's destiny children". It's after like five years of unemployment that their eyes "clear" and they get a better grasp of reality. Before then, they would have spent their childhood and precious teenage years diving deep into religious stuffs, praying, fasting and fight nonexistent enemies that want to steal their bright divine destiny that wasn't there to begin with. Moments before reality chatters their illusion, they would have gone through the emotionally and psychologically traumatic moments of "promise and fail"(eg. Job application rejection for years, futile waiting and hoping on yahweh to them to that glorious destiny where they would shine above their peers ;Detc.) over their future expectations of there bright destinies. At these point, they feel betrayed that their investment and zeal in yahweh meant noting and they to pick up the pieces and move on just like that. If care is not taken, hard times can make them suicidal. These children usually go deep in their delusion.

Truth is no one is special because god said so or your pastor said so. The earth won't adjust to ensure you live a comfortable life despite what choices you make. If you make poor life choices, you will suffer the consequences like everyone else and heaven won't fall for your sake. Sky is blue, roses are red and the world moves on without you. Christian parents should take not. I have seen two nairalanders who virtually fit my narrative. Please, christian parents should teach their children that no one is special and everyone would reap the fruit of their choice. This act by pastors has to stop. It might seem fun and reassuring but it's effect on little children and their psych and life decisions can be destructive. Thanks.

HopefulLandlord, HardMirror, hahn, Johnydon22, 1Sharon, Tozara, Ladyhippolyta88, 0temSapien, segunojo886, Seun, Adepeter2027, dalaman aka dalam0n, akintom, etc.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Martinez19(m): 7:00pm On Sep 04, 2018
Children that are victims of these nonsense fall in the following categories:
1) there parents are well to do and because well to do couples are pastors favourite customers, the pastor singles out the well to do couple's child(ren) and make them a victim of this nonsense programming.
2) the child(ren)'s parent(s) don't have to be financially okay, as long as they substantially give regularly, then this nonsense will most likely take place.
3) children that are doing well academically in the meantime are victims of this. wink
Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Martinez19(m): 7:02pm On Sep 04, 2018
My topic may not make sense but those that can relate would understand. This phenomenon is happening to many people and many are getting spanked hard by reality.
Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by CAPSLOCKED: 7:49pm On Sep 04, 2018
NAH.. YOU'RE NOT SPECIAL. NO ONE IS.
YOU'RE JUST ANOTHER FILTHY PIECE OF WALKING GARBAGE BREATHING AND WASTING YOUR TIME ON IRRELEVANT THINGS, AND WAITING TO DIE, JUST LIKE THE REST OF US. smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Illuminatus(m): 8:17pm On Sep 04, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:
NAH.. YOU'RE NOT SPECIAL. NO ONE IS.
YOU'RE JUST ANOTHER FILTHY PIECE OF WALKING GARBAGE BREATHING AND WASTING YOUR TIME ON IRRELEVANT THINGS, AND WAITING TO DIE, JUST LIKE THE REST OF US. smiley

cheesy

Who hurt you?!

Lol.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 05, 2018

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Martinez19(m): 2:20pm On Sep 05, 2018
Souless0:

sad make una stop mentioning me upandan nah sad
Even without her telling me all those things, I know I will be great. I've been working towards it... grin
I wasn't talking about you. I never had you in mind while writing this. Don't look at it the wrong way. grin
Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Martinez19(m): 2:32pm On Sep 05, 2018
@ Souless0

You say you know you would be great? Good, that's the spirit. I look forward to see you at the top.
Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by budaatum: 3:12pm On Sep 05, 2018
Martinez19:
My topic may not make sense but those that can relate would understand. This phenomenon is happening to many people and many are getting spanked hard by reality.
A cousin of mine once told me, while eating my food and living under my roof, that her anointing from God was assured, implying she was special and God would provide her with everything she required.

I chased her out the house that day. But she eventually made me realise that to her whom so much has been assured, so much more is expected in return, and her assurance was not so much that she should sit on her ass awaiting manna from heaven, but go up to heaven and bring it down for those not as assured as she is privileged to be.

It is 18 years later, and her assurance is exactly as she claimed it was as she constantly goes up to the heavens to bring manna for those not as assured as she is.

My point is, teaching the privilege of "you are special" includes special duties. And teaching the privilege without the duties is what is detrimental and dangerous.
Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Martinez19(m): 3:33pm On Sep 05, 2018
budaatum:

A cousin of mine once told me, while eating my food and living under my roof, that her anointing from God was assured, implying she was special and God would provide her with everything she required.

I chased her out the house that day. But she eventually made me realise that to her whom so much has been assured, so much more is expected in return, and her assurance was not so much that she should sit on her ass awaiting manna from heaven, but go up to heaven and bring it down for those not as assured as she is privileged to be.

It is 18 years later, and her assurance is exactly as she claimed it was as she constantly goes up to the heavens to bring manna for those not as assured as she is.

My point is, teaching the privilege of "you are special" includes special duties. And teaching the privilege without the duties is what is detrimental and dangerous.
I agree with you on the last paragraph. If your story is true, then I would say she is fortunate enough to have her hard work pay off. Her hard work paying off isn't due to some special anointing. People who are told that they are special do work but not with the full seriousness and effort required. Few are fortunate while many are spanked hard by reality.

It's like otedola telling me that titheing works because his business expended after he tithed. How about those that were told that they are special, they worked and had no headway in life?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by budaatum: 6:18pm On Sep 05, 2018
Martinez19:
I agree with you on the last paragraph. If your story is true, then I would say she is fortunate enough to have her hard work pay off. Her hard work paying off isn't due to some special anointing. People who are told that they are special do work but not with the full seriousness and effort required. Few are fortunate while many are spanked hard by reality.
Note that I said she adopts the view that since she is so special, so much [work] is required from her. And she does work, a lot, and for the benefit of others.

I, after all, would not support her if she sponges off me.

Martinez19:
How about those that were told that they are special, they worked and had no headway in life?
Come on! A carpenter who spends money on the wrong tools which he then works all day, can't be said to have worked now, can he? We need to find a different word for what you describe here.

Work though, if you can agree, is doing the right things to accomplish the desired results. Essentially, the measure of work done is the result achieved at the end.
Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 05, 2018
Martinez19:
I wasn't talking about you. I never had you in mind while writing this. Don't look at it the wrong way. grin
ok sir
Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Nobody: 9:11pm On Sep 05, 2018
Martinez19:
@ Souless0

You say you know you would be great? Good, that's the spirit. I look forward to see you at the top.
not just me, i look forward to seeing you too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by budaatum: 11:47pm On Sep 05, 2018
Souless0:

sad make una stop mentioning me upandan nah sad
Even without her telling me all those things, I know I will be great. I've been working towards it... grin
Tell him!
Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Martinez19(m): 12:03am On Sep 06, 2018
budaatum:

Note that I said she adopts the view that since she is so special, so much [work] is required from her. And she does work, a lot, and for the benefit of others.

I, after all, would not support her if she sponges off me.

Come on! A carpenter who spends money on the wrong tools which he then works all day, can't be said to have worked now, can he? We need to find a different word for what you describe here.

Work though, if you can agree, is doing the right things to accomplish the desired results. Essentially, the measure of work done is the result achieved at the end.
Lol. If one must work and do the right thing to get the right results regardless of who he/she is, then what's really special about that special person? This is simply to the "faith without works is dead" case where your kind can spot the relevant factor to getting the right result.
Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by budaatum: 12:36am On Sep 06, 2018
Martinez19:
"faith without works is dead"
Any faith that lacks work is indeed dead, and anyone who preaches it is serving a dead god. A "special person" who intends to reap without sowing would specially starve to death and can't have been said to have followed 'the Way'!
Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by Martinez19(m): 12:42am On Sep 06, 2018
budaatum:

Any faith that lacks work is indeed dead, and anyone who preaches it is serving a dead god. A "special person" who intends to reap without sowing would specially starve to death and can't have been said to have followed 'the Way'!
*sighs* goodnight.

Re: The Dangerous "You Are Special" Programming. by budaatum: 1:04am On Sep 06, 2018
Martinez19:
*sighs* goodnight.
Sleep well.

(1) (Reply)

HOUSE Cell Fellowship (LIFE TRANFORMING) / ‘The Holy Spirit has spoken to me’ — Fatoyinbo Mounts Pulpit, Makes Revelation / Conversion Therapy Organization Founder Comes Out As Gay: 'please Forgive Me'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.