Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,511 members, 7,843,546 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

The Difference Between Heart Attack And Heart Failure - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Difference Between Heart Attack And Heart Failure (557 Views)

Bees Attack And Kill Abba Abubakar, A Customs Officer In Lagos / Warning Signs That You May Be At Risk Of A Heart Attack And What To Do / Relationship Between Heart Disease And Kidney Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between Heart Attack And Heart Failure by drklas01(m): 9:14pm On Sep 05, 2018
https://abcstrength.com/2018/09/05/the-difference-between-heart-attack-and-heart-failure/

Heart attack and Heart failure are two different terms although they sound alike. A lot of people confuse these two terms together simply because they don’t know they mean. Heart diseases are the leading cause of death in the world. Heart attack and heart failure comprise a greater percentage of the heart diseases.

Heart failure

In medical terms it is known as Congestive heart failure is simply when the heart fails to pump blood as it should. Think of it like this, the heart is a pump trying to pump blood to the lungs and the rest of the body. When there is a problem with the heart – usually due to other heart diseases such as heart attack and high blood pressure. This results in a condition in which the heart cannot pump blood properly. This leads to a number of symptoms; chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, swelling in the legs, ankles and feet, coughing or wheezing to mention but a few.

Heart attack

In medical terms known as Myocardial infarction. It is when blood flow to the heart itself is inadequate due to narrowing of the coronary arteries – the arteries that supply the heart. This results in nutrient and oxygen deficiency to a part of the heart and subsequently the death that part of the heart. Think of it like this the heart normally pumps blood but when a part of the heart is dead, then it can no longer function properly. This results in severe chest pain and if care is not taken, it may lead to death.

Unfortunately, these are critical conditions and a lot of people find out when it’s too late. This is one of the reasons why these conditions amount to a great proportion of death each year.

Who is at Risk

The Risk factors for Ischemic heart diseases are similar. We have discussed most of these in “High Blood Pressure, Why You Need to be aware”. Atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries – a condition when lipid builds up in the artery supplying the heart, which leads to Ischemic heart disease.

Risk factors for Atherosclerosis include; high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, male gender and genetics.

What to do If You have Chest Pain

In a case you have a chest pain, it is important to see a doctor. There is no need to be afraid. Other mild non-severe conditions can also lead to chest pain.

Your doctor will do a series of analysis to correctly diagnose and manage your condition.

How to Prevent Cardiovascular diseases

The primary cause of Ischemic heart disease is atherosclerosis – a condition when lipids build up in the blood.

It’s necessary to do check-ups from time to time if you are at risk. Visit your doctor regularly.

Do exercise regularly. You can start with the things discussed in “Fitness Basics, Start with These 10 Things First” and you can also read the one on “Why You Need to be Fit”

Eat healthily. It’s necessary to eat food low in cholesterol. This will help reduce the lipid content of the body. You can try eating more Mediterranean diet – fruits, vegetables, fish, whole grains, legumes and nuts.

Taking Statins – these are lipid-lowering drugs. They have been proved to help prevent and limit the severity of Ischemic heart diseases. Talk to your doctor before you start taking them.
https://abcstrength.com/2018/09/05/the-difference-between-heart-attack-and-heart-failure/

Re: The Difference Between Heart Attack And Heart Failure by modsfucker: 9:26pm On Sep 05, 2018
drklas01:

Heart attack and Heart failure are two different terms although they sound alike. A lot of people confuse these two terms together simply because they don’t know they mean. Heart diseases are the leading cause of death in the world. Heart attack and heart failure comprise a greater percentage of the heart diseases.

Heart failure

In medical terms it is known as Congestive heart failure is simply when the heart fails to pump blood as it should. Think of it like this, the heart is a pump trying to pump blood to the lungs and the rest of the body. When there is a problem with the heart – usually due to other heart diseases such as heart attack and high blood pressure. This results in a condition in which the heart cannot pump blood properly. This leads to a number of symptoms; chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, swelling in the legs, ankles and feet, coughing or wheezing to mention but a few.

Heart attack

In medical terms known as Myocardial infarction. It is when blood flow to the heart itself is inadequate due to narrowing of the coronary arteries – the arteries that supply the heart. This results in nutrient and oxygen deficiency to a part of the heart and subsequently the death that part of the heart. Think of it like this the heart normally pumps blood but when a part of the heart is dead, then it can no longer function properly. This results in severe chest pain and if care is not taken, it may lead to death.

Unfortunately, these are critical conditions and a lot of people find out when it’s too late. This is one of the reasons why these conditions amount to a great proportion of death each year.

Thank you very much OP, I was looking for this information on Google since morning.

I kind of have a pulsating pain in my chest, close to my heart or right on it. The pain actually comes when I lay on my left hand, and goes when I flipped. Does that has anything to do with hear issue?
Re: The Difference Between Heart Attack And Heart Failure by Alejoc(m): 9:33pm On Sep 05, 2018
Thanka for sharing..... kiss
Re: The Difference Between Heart Attack And Heart Failure by drklas01(m): 10:35pm On Sep 05, 2018
modsfucker:

Thank you very much OP, I was looking for this information on Google since morning.

I kind of have a pulsating pain in my chest, close to my heart or right on it. The pain actually comes when I lay on my left hand, and goes when I flipped. Does that has anything to do with hear issue?

You're welcome, sir. I have updated the post to include risks, what to do and how to prevent heart diseases.

To answer your question it seems you meant to write heart. Your description fits that of chest pain. I'd say there's a high percentage its heart issue. Don't be scared not all heart issues are terrible. I doubt its severe yet. It's better to go for a checkup early and manage it appropriately.
Re: The Difference Between Heart Attack And Heart Failure by drklas01(m): 10:37pm On Sep 05, 2018
Alejoc:
Thanka for sharing..... kiss
You're welcome. I have updated the post to include risks, what to do and how to prevent heart diseases.
Re: The Difference Between Heart Attack And Heart Failure by modsfucker: 10:44pm On Sep 05, 2018
drklas01:

You're welcome, sir. I have updated the post to include risks, what to do and how to prevent heart diseases.

To answer your question it seems you meant to write heart. Your description fits that of chest pain. I'd say there's a high percentage its heart issue. Don't be scared not all heart issues are terrible. I doubt its severe yet. It's better to go for a checkup early and manage it appropriately.

Well, it's actually not severe, and it comes occasionally, especially when I start thinking deeply about my late daughter, who died some months back and left me in a traumatic state. Forgive my usage of the word traumatic. I used it to express the sad state I found myself since after her demise. Thank you
Re: The Difference Between Heart Attack And Heart Failure by drklas01(m): 2:20pm On Sep 06, 2018
modsfucker:

Well, it's actually not severe, and it comes occasionally, especially when I start thinking deeply about my late daughter, who died some months back and left me in a traumatic state. Forgive my usage of the word traumatic. I used it to express the sad state I found myself since after her demise. Thank you

I'm sorry to hear that sir. Actually, there is a term for that it's called Post-traumatic stress disorder. You weren't wrong when you said traumatic. I'd suggest seeing your doctor for some drugs. You should be fine shortly after taking them.
Re: The Difference Between Heart Attack And Heart Failure by modsfucker: 6:18pm On Sep 06, 2018
drklas01:

I'm sorry to hear that sir. Actually, there is a term for that it's called Post-traumatic stress disorder. You weren't wrong when you said traumatic. I'd suggest seeing your doctor for some drugs. You should be fine shortly after taking them.

Thanks a lot
Re: The Difference Between Heart Attack And Heart Failure by drklas01(m): 7:45pm On Sep 06, 2018
modsfucker:

Thanks a lot

you're welcome!

(1) (Reply)

Electromyography (EMG) / $$$$#$$$ / Thyphoid/malaria:magical Cure (trado-medical)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.