Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,984 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW (6632 Views)

Flashing Or Blinking "D" Light On Honda Dashboard Issue / Please What Does This Alert Light On My Dash Board Mean? / What's Your Experience With The E46 BMW 325i (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by laivwire(m): 10:00am On Sep 09, 2018
BMW users abeg oh. This issue based on my research happens to many e46 owners. The transmission shifts well but as soon as it enters the 5th gear, it enters limp (safe) mode and stays stuck on the 4th gear hence I can't travel. Online users have stated a myriad of reasons like the MAF sensor, transmission harness, transmission filter etc.

I handed the car to a BMW tech in Ib here but the same issues have come up almost immediately I got it back from him. I'm going to get the car scanned monday but anyone else experienced this same issue. Help me save my time on repairs.

Cc Uboma, Yungboss again. Abeg respond.

Thanks

A sample picture added below for reference

1 Like

Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by uboma(m): 10:08am On Sep 09, 2018
I remember this cog light alright.

it happened to me about two years ago. my car will drag and won't go uphill.

I replaced th gear oil on two separate occasions as advised by my "Kazeem" at the time, to no avail.

I finally met a rewire who doubles as a BMW user too. He sorted this issue for me and I haven't had it since then.

It is an electrical problem. I wish you are around the FCT....

Go ahead with the scan and post the codes that come up.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by mayor2013: 10:21am On Sep 09, 2018
Run a scan first

2 Likes

Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by benefitzte: 7:14pm On Sep 09, 2018
I use an e46 and am also in Ibadan, it's an electrical fault. Two things for sure fuse or transmission module.

2 Likes

Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by Almaiga: 7:44pm On Sep 09, 2018
I had this same problem with my E46 about two years back. I changed the transmission oil yet, it was still on limp mode. I was advised to change the gear box's ECU which is located in a compartment close to the brake fluid reservoir. I bought a new one for 10k, it worked for three months then the problem resurfaces. An electrician fixed it, I've been driving the Car for over two years now without any problem from the gear. Get a good electrician.

3 Likes

Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by laivwire(m): 12:24pm On Sep 10, 2018
benefitzte:
I use an e46 and am also in Ibadan, it's an electrical fault. Two things for sure fuse or transmission module.
Thanks. Have you fixed it. Which mech can you recommend as the technician I planned to meet today for scanning has travelled.

1 Like

Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by benefitzte: 7:07am On Sep 11, 2018
laivwire:

Thanks. Have you fixed it. Which mech can you recommend as the technician I planned to meet today for scanning has travelled.
Sorry. Have not been here but u can call me on 080...5560.50..99
Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by Nobody: 8:07am On Sep 11, 2018
Not alleging that it's the answer but if it were my car then I would be haunting this thread:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1727736-e46-auto-transmission-warning-light!

1) Are your break lights working?

2) Have you checked under the car near the trans to see if there are any dangly bits? grin

3) Are your gear indicators lights illuminating?

4) How's your battery voltage?
Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by laivwire(m): 9:45am On Sep 11, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Not alleging that it's the answer but if it were my car then I would be haunting this thread:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1727736-e46-auto-transmission-warning-light!

1) Are your break lights working?

2) Have you checked under the car near the trans to see if there are any dangly bits? grin

3) Are your gear indicators lights illuminating?

4) How's your battery voltage?
Wow, many thanks sir. I'll run a check on the above. Gear lights are illuminating and the battery is a new 75amp.

I'm out of town but I'll scan as soon as I return.
Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by uboma(m): 7:12pm On Oct 20, 2019
I guess you finally got yourself an E46. How did you resolve the gear issue?
Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by Rafferty2000(m): 8:10am On May 19, 2020
uboma:

I replaced th gear oil on two separate occasions as advised by my "Kazeem" at the time, to no avail.

I finally met a rewire who doubles as a BMW user too. He sorted this issue for me and I haven't had it since then.

Hi
Am experiencing the same problem with my BMW e46. It's now a year. I wish I was near that side so that you can connect me to the electrician you used. Please help me with your contact number so that I can get in touch.
Mine is +260966768455
Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by uboma(m): 8:55am On May 19, 2020
Rafferty2000:

Hi
Am experiencing the same problem with my BMW e46. It's now a year. I wish I was near that side so that you can connect me to the electrician you used. Please help me with your contact number so that I can get in touch.
Mine is +260966768455

Good morning Sir,

You should state your location as other BMW users are reading too and may have contacts of competent car Electricians in your location.

My phone number is on my signature.
Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by Rafferty2000(m): 6:11am On May 23, 2020
uboma:

Good morning Sir,

You should state your location as other BMW users are reading too and may have contacts of competent car Electricians in your location.

My phone number is on my signature.

Thanks for the quick response
Am in Lusaka, Zambia
Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by Agboalex: 2:57pm On May 29, 2022
Dear nairaland,i have the gear cog light on my '98 e46,please who has had this same issue and was it fixed?thanks!
Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by daylay7(m): 9:46am On Aug 18, 2022
That's what I m experiencing right now. I changed my screen clock and the cog light came up. I couldn't see it before in the previous screen clock. So, I'm still looking for a way out.

1 Like

Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by daylay7(m): 9:47am On Aug 18, 2022
uboma:

You are right. I noticed some stuff as well o the car. I will see a rewire today

1 Like

Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by cheneochis: 6:53am On Jun 02, 2023
Hi guys,
Please I need solution as the Cog light on gear of my e46 bmw remains on, making the selections difficult, it's an automatic transmission system, I have been advised to change transmission oil, ecu ,brainbox and I'm fed up, please anyone with likely problem in the past should assist.
I reside in lagos

Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by pcwhiz(m): 2:52pm On Jun 21, 2023
You’ll be surprised that your MAF sensor could cause that cog light to show.
Re: Cog Light On Gear E46 BMW by pcwhiz(m): 2:53pm On Jun 21, 2023
cheneochis:
Hi guys,
Please I need solution as the Cog light on gear of my e46 bmw remains on, making the selections difficult, it's an automatic transmission system, I have been advised to change transmission oil, ecu ,brainbox and I'm fed up, please anyone with likely problem in the past should assist.
I reside in lagos
You’ll be surprised that a faulty MAF sensor could cause that light to show.

(1) (Reply)

Program Your Ecu ( Brainbox ) Here! / DIY: P0873 On 04 MDX 4th Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch / Aba Ingenuity-people’s Creativity Rebuilds Banned Okada In Aba To Tricycles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.