Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,457 members, 7,853,995 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 09:12 AM

Modric Deserved UEFA Player Of The Year Ahead Of 'marketed' Ronaldo - Ramos - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Modric Deserved UEFA Player Of The Year Ahead Of 'marketed' Ronaldo - Ramos (323 Views)

Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards / Ronaldo, Ramos Meets With Nyesom Wike In Spain (photo) / Gov. Wike Meets Ronaldo, Ramos And Club Officials In Spain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Modric Deserved UEFA Player Of The Year Ahead Of 'marketed' Ronaldo - Ramos by obitech(m): 7:07am On Sep 11, 2018
The choice to give the Croatia international the award caused a stir, but the Blancos defender has backed his team-mate over the Juventus forward

Sergio Ramos insists that Real Madrid team-mate Luka Modric deserved to win the UEFA Player of the Year award ahead of those with "more marketing", such as Cristiano Ronaldo.
Modric's win sparked controversy in Italy, with Ronaldo's representative, Jorge Mendes, blasting the snub as "ridiculous and shameful".

However, Ramos believes that Modric, who played a key role in the club's Champions League victory, deserved the award over the Portuguese.

Indeed, the midfielder's performances at the World Cup seemed to back up UEFA's decision, the ex-Tottenham midfielder guiding his Croatia side to their first ever final, where they lost to France.

Portugal, meanwhile, fell to Uruguay in the Round of 16.

"There are few players that I am as proud of having in my team as [Modric]," said Ramos, per the Daily Mail .

"He is a great friend and a great player. He is one of the few players who [if he wins] would make me as happy as if they had given it to me."

Ramos also appeared to take a dig at Ronaldo in claiming that Modric is more unassuming than the Juve striker, who has yet to score a goal in Serie A.

"Maybe there are players with more marketing, with a bigger name but Modric deserves that award," he added.

Modric has so far appeared in all three of Real's La Liga games thus far, laying on an assist in the 4-1 thumping of Leganese

Source. http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/modric-deserved-uefa-player-of-the-year-ahead-of-marketed/2hmhor4rvkhs12zvantosdhp2

PS Even Ronaldo's team mates know that part of Ronaldo's greatness is as a result of pure marketing nothing else.

Ronaldo is a great player but he is overhyped just like Beckham of England by Real Madrids marketing team.

Now he is no longer there and he is losing that marketing steam.

I know for a fact if Ronaldo was still in Madrid he'd win all the awards this year because of Madrids marketing machinery.

Now that marketing machinery is now focused on Modric.

Great players are made based on what they do on the playing field not by marketing.

If it's by marketing alone then Beckham of England is also a GOAT.
Re: Modric Deserved UEFA Player Of The Year Ahead Of 'marketed' Ronaldo - Ramos by olufalaye: 7:08am On Sep 11, 2018
He sure deserve but he won't
Re: Modric Deserved UEFA Player Of The Year Ahead Of 'marketed' Ronaldo - Ramos by Damibiz(m): 7:11am On Sep 11, 2018
And he will Win World best as well,HAla madrid,hala Modric
Re: Modric Deserved UEFA Player Of The Year Ahead Of 'marketed' Ronaldo - Ramos by chris20000: 7:16am On Sep 11, 2018
Ronaldo fans won't like this.
Re: Modric Deserved UEFA Player Of The Year Ahead Of 'marketed' Ronaldo - Ramos by thesicilian: 7:18am On Sep 11, 2018
It's obvious that a lot of people are still bitter over Ronaldo's move to Juventus.
Re: Modric Deserved UEFA Player Of The Year Ahead Of 'marketed' Ronaldo - Ramos by Homeboiy: 7:22am On Sep 11, 2018
It's now clear Wesley snidjer was robbed off in 2010
Re: Modric Deserved UEFA Player Of The Year Ahead Of 'marketed' Ronaldo - Ramos by Kneephy(m): 7:25am On Sep 11, 2018
I don't believe Ramos would ever say this tho

(1) (Reply)

Barcelona Open Gap On Top As Real Madrid Drop Points Against Bilbao / Sport Tips For The Day / The Arnaut Danjuma Pursuit: Why Super Eagles Are Option B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.