Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? (16227 Views)

GENESIS Chapter 3(who Should We Blame For Our Suffering Now ADAM,EVE Or SERPENT) / Did Adam And Eve Have Bellybuttons? / Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by ishmael(m): 9:01pm On Apr 03, 2007
God created heaven and earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th day. How many days, or weeks or months or years did Adam and Eve live in the Garden of Eden before they were driven out of it by God??
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by Free(f): 11:29pm On Apr 03, 2007
i dnt think anybody knows the answer undecided
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by ishmael(m): 10:32am On Apr 04, 2007
Free:

i dnt think anybody knows the answer undecided

I expect christians like Stimulus to know.
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by stimulus(m): 11:08am On Apr 04, 2007
@ishmael,

ishmael:

I expect christians like Stimulus to know.

My bros ishmael, honesty stimulus doesn't know that much, neither does he pretend knowledge that he doesn't have. The one thing I do know, however, is that Adam lived that long to be nine hundred and thirty years before he died (Gen. 5:5).

The question you posed is as much a blanket one that leads nowhere in the same lane as you will find other questions running. For instance, someone could as well ask, 'How long did Adam and Eve live outside the Garden?' What would be your answer to that, ishmael? Anything you and I offer as answers to those two questions would be strictly our personal opinions and nothing more - unless we can categorically prove such answers with texts from the Bible.

The essential thing for me is that Adam and Eve were in the Garden1, ate from the tree of which they were expressly forbidden2, were subsequently driven out3; but a promise of redemption made in reference to the Fall4.

That prophecy has been fulfilled in Christ5, and by God's grace millions (including me) have believed on Him to the saving of the soul6, and the obtaining of a far more eternal weight of glory7.

Shalom.

Notes
1. Gen. 3:8
2. Gen. 2:17 and 3:6
3. Gen. 3:24
4. Gen. 3:15
5. Gal. 4:4
6. Heb. 10:39
7. 2 Cor. 4:17

1 Like

Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by ishmael(m): 12:55pm On Apr 04, 2007
@stimulus
a whole respected christian like you? you mean you don't know how long Adam and Eve stayed in the Garden of Eden before they were driven out? I was relying on you oo!!
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by stimulus(m): 1:51pm On Apr 04, 2007
ishmael:

@stimulus
a whole respected christian like you? you mean you don't know how long Adam and Eve stayed in the Garden of Eden before they were driven out? I was relying on you oo!!

My bro.da ishmael, bragado and shakara about Bible knowledge will not help us Oo!! shocked

I can only speak what I know; and not pretend what I don't have. All the same, please don't follow my ignorance O! Follow and rely only on Jesus!!

God bless.
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by ishmael(m): 6:40pm On Apr 04, 2007
i'm sure the muslims will have it in their koran; may be we'll contact them.
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 2:23am On Apr 05, 2007
and pray how does this help our christian faith?
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by ishmael(m): 10:57am On Apr 05, 2007
davidylan:

and pray how does this help our christian faith?

Just want to keep statistics. I know Noah was in the ark for 40 days and 40 nights; and Jonah was in the fish belly for 3 days and 3 nights, Jesus was in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights, etc. is there anything wrong in knowing that of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden??
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by ishmael(m): 7:00pm On Apr 10, 2007
Pls someone, a very good christian should help us with the answer.
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by trinigirl1(f): 8:12pm On Apr 10, 2007
I agree with David. Pointless discussion.
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by olutomiwa(m): 8:20pm On Apr 23, 2007
why you no know?afterall you be one of their childrenS. grin
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by IDINRETE: 10:34pm On Apr 23, 2007
this is my own personal belief as the garden of eden never existed as stated in the bible, the adam and eve characters are just mythical
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by DaveRollin: 3:58am On Jul 30, 2008
Adam & Eve were removed from the garden on the new moon of the fourth month of the 8th year after creation (Jubilees 3:33)

David
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by Freiburger(m): 9:37pm On Oct 21, 2010
see question. wink
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by Kay17: 11:00pm On Oct 21, 2010
Hebrew was the language God used to create earth and heaven, maybe hell.
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by IDINRETE: 3:08pm On Oct 22, 2010
ds
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:18pm On Oct 22, 2010
For starters, it wasn't millions of years.  cool
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:27pm On Oct 22, 2010
Adam's Lifespan

Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:39pm On Oct 22, 2010
Paradise lost and gained.

Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by Joagbaje(m): 6:12pm On Oct 22, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

[img width=500 height=500]http://www.answersingenesis.org/assets/images/media/cartoons/creationwise/TheoJello.gif[/img]

Mr adegbu, can you throw light on your post?
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by Image123(m): 8:44pm On Oct 22, 2010
Genesis 1v1. In the beginning God CREATED. Why on earth would somebody with an affinity to a church claim it is not necessarily creation but recreation? Is controversy your only tactic for winning people over.
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by Rhino3dm: 8:56pm On Oct 22, 2010
Now genesis is a book of re-creation sounds like shifting the goal post in the middle of the game.
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by Joagbaje(m): 9:18pm On Oct 22, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

Now genesis is a book of re-creation sounds like shifting the goal post in the middle of the game.

Pls let's avoid modifying another persons post. I didn't say the book of genesis was a book of recreation. I said what happened in the the six day was a recreation. And if anyone didn't. Understand it, he should rather ask for further explanation.
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by Joagbaje(m): 9:44pm On Oct 22, 2010
Let me explain the recreation issue.

We discussed this in another thread. Genesis 1:1 deals with a perfect world with it's social structures . But that world was destroyed by a flood after the fall of lucifer. This affected the heaven and the earth. In verse 2 of genesis 1. God began a recreation . That's what I mean by recreation. Because God began to re-create what was there before. Sun moon , trees etc
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by aletheia(m): 10:47pm On Oct 22, 2010
Joagbaje:

What happened in the six days was not necessarily creation but recreation.

See. Anyone who's read the bible knows that what you posted is incorrect.

Rhino.3dm:

Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:37am On Oct 23, 2010
Joagbaje:

Mr adegbu, can you throw light on your post?

Let there be light!

Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by Joagbaje(m): 6:36am On Oct 23, 2010
Genesis 1:2
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness[ was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Bible explains bible. Jeremiah gave account of what led to the recreation .

Jeremiah 4:23-26
23 I beheld the earth, and, lo,[ it was] without form, and void; and the heavens, and they[ had] no light. 24 I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. 25 I beheld, and, lo,[ there was] no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. [/b]26 I beheld, and, lo, the [b]fruitful place[ was] a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the Lord,[ and] by his fierce anger

There were once men , birds , animal and light in the before the six day of Adam.

Genesis 1:28
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth,

To "re-plenish" means to fill it up the second time. That means the earth was once inhabited.

These are bible verses and not mans addition. And I think the man addition I'm seeing here is the CHICK PUBLICATION CARTOONS! They have printed many errors in time past.
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by aletheia(m): 7:40am On Oct 23, 2010
^^^
@Joagbaje: still peddling your craft? Your assertions above were refuted on another thread here and is reproduced in part below. In any case what has that got to do with how long Adam was in the Garden?

aletheia:

^^This is the strongest argument that you could adduce for your pre-adamic age theory (redefining the meaning of words); hence your leading with it.
Firstly, My KJV Bible (1769 version) uses "replenish" in Genesis 1:28. What does the word replenish actually mean?
According to the Merriam Webster Online Dictionary:

1 a : to fill with persons or animals : stock b archaic : to supply fully : perfect c : to fill with inspiration or power : nourish

So we see that the word replenish actually means "to fill" not "refill" whether in its more modern or more archaic form.
The KJV was written in an archaic form of English. So let's consult an even older dictionary---Webster's 1806 dictionary.

Replenish, v. to fill, satisfy, stock, become stocked

So we see that your argument is based on a faulty understanding of English. Not all words beginning with "re-" means redo something e.g read

Secondly, the meaning of the Hebrew word וּמִלְא֥וּ which is translated replenish is given:

H4390 male' maw-lay' or malae (Esth. 7:5) {maw-law'}; a primitive root, to fill or (intransitively) be full of, in a wide application (literally and figuratively):--accomplish, confirm, + consecrate, be at an end, be expired, be fenced, fill, fulfil, (be, become, X draw, give in, go) full(-ly, -ly set, tale), (over-)flow, fulness, furnish, gather (selves, together), presume, replenish, satisfy, set, space, take a (hand-)full, + have wholly.

Thus you see that the word whether in English or Hebrew does not mean refill. and other versions that translate Genesis 1:28 in more modern English use the word "fill": "God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it."(NIV)
Re: How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden? by Joagbaje(m): 1:03pm On Oct 23, 2010
@altheia

Thus you see that the word whether in English or Hebrew does not mean refill. and other versions that translate Genesis 1:28 in more modern English use the word "fill": "God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it."(NIV)

You quoted NIV. why don't you check the footnote of your Niv. Of verse two. Note "e" You will find that that you NIV says "the earth possibly became void and empty". The earth wasn't created void and empty.   

Isaiah 45:18
18 For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I[ am] the LORD; and[ there is] none else

My dictionary translates replenish as refill.
I checked your webster dictionary , it gave 2 meanings and I could see how you turned blind eye tooth refill there in no2

a : to fill with persons or animals : stock
b archaic : to supply fully : perfect
c : to fill with inspiration or power : nourish

a : to fill or build up again <replenished his glass>
b : to make good : replace

(1) (2) (Reply)

Guess Who This Armed Dude Was Protecting. Pic / God And His Angels. / Tithing : Talk Is Cheap, Nigerians Are Just Stingy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.