Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor (2435 Views)

Nissan Fuel Sensor Needed! / Faulty Oxygen Sensor And Trouble Codes / Oxygen And Air Fuel Ration Sensors For Honda Eod (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor by EEL: 12:59am On Jul 05, 2010
Anyone with information on the distinct difference between an Air Fuel Sensor and an Oxygen Sensor or are the same?

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor by KunleA2(m): 4:23am On Jul 05, 2010
i am thinking that they are the same.
Re: Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor by EEL: 4:34am On Jul 05, 2010
Thanks for the response. I am thinking it is same too but wanna be double sure. Some people believe they are different 2 different things.

Still expecting more response.
Re: Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 05, 2010
They're different.

Oxygen sensor, also called Lambda sensor / Lambda probe is mounted in the exhaust, upstream of the catalyst (and a second one downstream of the catalyst on OBDII cars). It's function is to measure the oxygen / CO content of the exhaust gasses, as they exit the engine. The data gives the ECU an idea how rich or lean the engine's running. Worth noting a faulty Lambda probe will not affect an engine's performance at high rpm, at high rpm, the engine always runs open loop (Lambda is switched off).

Air fuel temperature sensor is mounted within the intake manifold, or on some models, in the throttle body ducting, before the butterfly. It allows the ECU to regulate the duty cycle of the injectors, and compensates for fuel droplets that tend to condense on the walls of the intake manifold in a cold engine.
Re: Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor by viperman: 11:56am On Jul 05, 2010
Yo siena,

If the oxygen sensor is faulty, does the engine make a cranky sounds for a few seconds when you start the car and then comes back to normal sound? or is that something else?
Re: Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor by sultaan(m): 1:53pm On Jul 05, 2010
They are the same if you are talking about the ULEV  Accord.
On other cars they are called O2 Sensor

viperman:

Yo siena,

If the oxygen sensor is faulty, does the engine make a cranky sounds for a few seconds when you start the car and then comes back to normal sound? or is that something else?

You may want to look at your timing chain there.
But the usual culprit is a loose exhaust pipe that hits the chassis when you start up your car you will know if its exhaust pipe if this happens only when your idle is around 1000rpm, or when you hit a bump in the road.

My bet is exhaust on a Camry.
Re: Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor by sultaan(m): 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2010
Re: Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor by jtoliver: 4:48pm On Jul 05, 2010
viperman:

Yo siena,

viperman: a faulty O2 sensor will result in a steady CEL (check engine light), but other than that AFAIK it should not produce anything that could be felt or heard like the brief rattling sound you're describing. But I would be worried if the sound is accompanied by a blinking CEL.

As to the sound - an engine standing all night (or for any long periods) would not have as much oil coating its internals (because of gravity, with the oil settling at the bottom). So the cranking sound that you are hearing at startup is probably friction between metals, which goes away as soon as the oil circulates within.
Re: Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor by viperman: 2:06pm On Jul 06, 2010
Hi guys,

thanks for the numerous responses. The car is a 2006 hyundai sonata(v6).
True it's currently showing a 'check engine light'(CEL), but has been that way since it was bought last year, and drives well with no issues.
It's just that i'm the type that doesn't like hearing any bit of sound in my car hence, i popped the question.

Sultaan,
i would ask my mechanic to check that timing chain cuz it might just be it, however, someone diagnosed the car, and part of the report was that the O2 sensor needed repair(or something like that).
wat u think?
Re: Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor by jtoliver: 2:24pm On Jul 06, 2010
@viperman: a steady CEL will usually not result in degraded performance; however, like I said, a "flashing" CEL would. You would only know what sensor (if the fault is indeed sensor-related) to replace by hooking your car up to an OBDII scanner and reading out the fault code(s). BTW, a sensor cannot be repaired, only replaced,

and oh, the sound COULD be timing chain-related, possibly the tensioner. There's a TSB on the Sonata V6 regarding this. you could read it here: http://www.jerrystout.us/sonata/tsb/timing_chain_tensioner_replacement.pdf. Good luck!
Re: Air Fuel Sensor And Oxygen Sensor by viperman: 10:32am On Jul 18, 2010
Thank guya, we should have more related topics on this forum to help people.

(1) (Reply)

Very Neat Registered 2002 Mitsubishi Galant For N700k NOW 600K!!!SOLD!!!SOLD / Nissan Quest 2006 Model! Space Bus For Sale / Nigerian Used 2008 Toyota Camry SE (SPORTS EDITION)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.