Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,374 members, 7,815,790 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? (20166 Views)

Who Should Die First? Husband Or Wife. / What Will You Call This?? Fun Or Child Abuse / Should I Leave My Husband Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by uvemi(f): 8:30pm On Sep 16, 2018
The question of who should be a woman’s number one priority, husband or children, has become somewhat of a "chicken or the egg" argument in parenting circles. Women seem to be split on the question; however it would seem that more women believe that children should come before their spouse.

Many women adamantly assert that their children are and should be their first priority. The argument goes something like this, “my children are my flesh and blood and they need their mother, my husband is more than capable of fending for himself.” Some will go so far as to say “husbands will come and go, but your children will be your children forever".

Perhaps there is some truth to that, particularly in some countries where divorce has become so prevalent, but it certainly is not the ideal.

Certainly there is no doubt that children, at least up until a certain age, require more in the way of time, attention, and care, than a husband. And no one is suggesting that children be deprived or neglected. Children require not only material necessities from their parents but also a great deal of attention, love, and discipline.

Remember that a woman marries her husband and takes vows with him. Ideally a marriage is supposed to last a lifetime.

Your children will be with you for perhaps 25 years before beginning a life of their own. Long after the children are gone, you and your husband will be together.

A big part of being a parent is modeling good behavior. Children learn most of what they know by watching mom and dad. Parents who model a loving, respectful, mutually supportive relationship are giving their children a huge gift and an incredible head start as they move forward towards adulthood.

Another job of being a parent is to raise happy successful future adults. So whatever parents can do to keep their relationship strong and in tact is good for the child. If a mother were to consistently put her children before her husband there is a chance that the husband/wife relationship would suffer.

So what is the answer?

The answer, from the view of psychologists, is that when a man and woman marry they take a vow to one another and nothing should supersede the husband/wife relationship.

When and if children come along then the parents are to love and nurture them but never put them above their spouse.

The greatest gifts that a parent can give their children are parents who love, respect, and support one another. This is a gift that children will take with them forever.

So, a woman’s first priority should be her husband and together (husband and wife) the parent's priority is their children.

Source:
https://uvemi..com/2018/09/who-comes-first-husband-or-child.html

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by babyfaceafrica: 8:55pm On Sep 16, 2018
doesn't matter
Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by bukatyne(f): 9:11pm On Sep 16, 2018
Husband always.

41 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by LordIsaac(m): 9:47pm On Sep 16, 2018
Correct connection.

2 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by chii8(f): 9:52pm On Sep 16, 2018
Children that will get married one day and leave you and your spouse....couple are like pot used in fetching water while the children are like the water, water can spill but the pot dare not break, summarily, use your tongue and count your teeth... Piss out

Modified:Your children dont owe you anything,plan your retirement with your spouse,you had a vow with your spouse,stick with each other.(i am not saying you shouldnt take care of your kids but your spouse relationship is forever)

94 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:16am On Sep 17, 2018
if i am not my woman's number one then i am obviously with the wrong woman. also, let us all understand that the love she has for me is completely different than the love we both have for our children, just like the love i have for her is different than the love i have for my parents/sibling..... and expecting all to be on the same scale is wrong.

it is not about which of these love is better/greater, but more about which love matters in what moment.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by frozen70(f): 4:50pm On Sep 18, 2018
Children all the way

They are the least person that will brake your heart

11 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by memories1(f): 5:30pm On Sep 18, 2018
There should be no comparison in the first place. Their needs for affection and attention are different.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:31pm On Sep 18, 2018
frozen70:
Children all the way

you also do know that these same kids are the least that will stay with you forever (unlike a husband)... these kids would eventually leave you to go and live their own lives....

24 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by Wilfredpat22(f): 7:27pm On Sep 18, 2018
Once a woman gives birth her attention shifts from the husband to the children automatically.

The man can fend for himself and be bringing money for the woman so she can be Spending it on herself and the children because we are lazy lol

21 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 18, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

you also do know that these same kids are the least that will stay with you forever (unlike a husband)... these kids would eventually leave you to go and live their own lives....

A husband can't leave or die?

And who takes care of people in old age, especially elderly women? Their late husbands? Last time I checked they die earlier.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:46pm On Sep 18, 2018
Mindfulness:

A husband can't leave or die?

yes they can just like a wife does.... but chances are that if someone will stay with you then thats the job of your husband, not your kids.

And who takes care of people in old age, especially elderly women? Their late husbands? Last time I checked they die earlier.

there is a huge difference between taking care of you in your old age, and being by your side til death do you part, like your husband would. but if you claim here that mothers should love their kids over their husband because they will be the ones taking care of them when husband is dead, then you sista have a wild imagination, to say the least!

disregard loving your husband PROPERLY at your own peril

26 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 18, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

yes they can just like a wife does.... but chances are that if someone will stay with you then thats the job of your husband, not your kids.

there is a huge difference between taking care of you in your old age, and being by your side til death do you part, like your husband would. but if you claim here that mothers should love their kids over their husband because they will be the ones taking care of them when husband is dead, then you sista have a wild imagination, to say the least!

disregard loving your husband PROPERLY at your own peril

@bold
If is the operative word here because I have not said much yet. Don't put words in my mouth, please.

@red
It is unlikely my husband will still be around in the hour of my death unless something unexpected like an accident happens. It's more likely my kids will and maybe even my younger sisters who have been around before he showed up in my life and probably will be after his death.

If the duration of someone's presence in one's life is proportionate to the love one should offer then the husband is definitely not to take the first place. With if being the operative word here.

@blue
Don't make it personal.

8 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by frozen70(f): 9:41pm On Sep 18, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

Yes they will grow and leave to Stand on their own.

When I mean children that doesn't mean that fathers don't have a place, no.

I was specifically saying that (they don't break your heart)

By the time they grow and leave, the house is left with father and mother that's when you see them become more closer

5 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by Godmother(f): 9:47pm On Sep 18, 2018
My child comes first with me, I can't help it. Haven carried her in my womb for nine months and formed that special bond with her, no other person comes close.

This doesn't mean my husband isn't important too o; he is. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick my child first.

View my signature for interesting posts on women

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:56pm On Sep 18, 2018
Godmother:
My child comes first with me, I can't help it. Haven carried her in my womb for nine months and formed that special bond with her, no other person comes close.

This doesn't mean my husband isn't important too o; he is. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick my child first.

Women and double standard!

The same woman will cry blue murder that her husband's mother is too attached to him (not minding the fact that she as well carried him for 9 months, birthed him and nurtured him into an adult).

I will continue to say that any woman that complains about attachment of their MIL on her son, (woman's husband) is selfish, wicked, evil and despicable.

I don't expect a mother not to have less affection on her child even more than her husband, the love a mother has for her child is amazing. This is one reason every sane man must make their mother proud by showing her unregulated love and ensuring that no woman in the name of wife causes her sadness or tears.

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by Godmother(f): 8:33am On Sep 19, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

The same woman will cry blue murder that her husband's mother is too attached to him (not minding the fact that she as well carried him for 9 months, birthed him and nurtured him into an adult).

I will continue to say that any woman that complains about attachment of their MIL on her son, (woman's husband) is selfish, wicked, evil and despicable.

I don't expect a mother not to have less affection on her child even more than her husband, the love a mother has for her child is amazing. This is one reason every sane man must make their mother proud by showing her unregulated love and ensuring that no woman in the name of wife causes her sadness or tears.

That one has grown naa. I'm talking about little kids. And any man that's too attached to his mom is a mommy's boy not fit to marry. QED tongue

8 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by Mariangeles(f): 8:43am On Sep 19, 2018
Men loooooooooooooooooove affection ehn... grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by jaszplus12(m): 9:07am On Sep 19, 2018
frozen70:
Children all the way

oh yea?
let's suppose your hubby remains faithful I'm sure you'll feel good....
then ....let's suppose your children suddenly become criminals ...I'm sure your heart won't break!

8 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:31am On Sep 19, 2018
Godmother:

That one has grown naa. I'm talking about little kids. And any man that's too attached to his mom is a mommy's boy not fit to marry. QED tongue

No problem!

I am a proud Mummy's boy and will proudly wear a badge to signify that!

39 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by Acidosis(m): 9:48am On Sep 19, 2018
Godmother:

View my signature for interesting posts on women

You want your child to be "mummy's boy", but you don't want same bonding between your husband and his mother? Isn't this satanic in.sanity?

It is the same reason many married men today find love and affection elsewhere (side chick). I think women like you are their own problem.

Marriage is between a man and a woman, simple! MOGs who are fond of imposing children on newly weds through their amebo prayer points have also contributed to these stupidity. That you're married doesn't mean you must raise children! It is not a must to "hear the cry of a baby" 9 months after your wedding. It's a man made and somewhat satanic principle; a tool used in leading many families to depression.

31 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by Godmother(f): 3:23pm On Sep 19, 2018
Acidosis:

You want your child to be "mummy's boy", but you don't want same bonding between your husband and his mother? Isn't this satanic in.sanity?

It is the same reason many married men today find love and affection elsewhere (side chick). I think women like you are their own problem.

Marriage is between a man and a woman, simple! MOGs who are fond of imposing children on newly weds through their amebo prayer points have also contributed to these stupidity. That you're married doesn't mean you must raise children! It is not a must to "hear the cry of a baby" 9 months after your wedding. It's a man made and somewhat satanic principle; a tool used in leading many families to depression.

What are you even saying All you did is just spew acid here, no offence. So it seems right to you that a grown man is unusually tied to his mom?

We're not saying he shouldn't love her, what I'm against is been so tied to her he finds it hard to be a man and take his own decisions

5 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by frozen70(f): 11:40pm On Sep 19, 2018
jaszplus12:

oh yea?
let's suppose your hubby remains faithful I'm sure you'll feel good....
then ....let's suppose your children suddenly become criminals ...I'm sure your heart won't break!

Since you wish your children to be criminals
So shall it be unto you

3 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by jaszplus12(m): 12:32am On Sep 20, 2018
frozen70:

Since you wish your children to be criminals So shall it be unto you
on the contrary!
Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by Mizwisdom(f): 7:46am On Sep 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
[/b]
No problem!

I am a proud Mummy's boy and will proudly wear a badge to signify that!

Lol, proud mummy boy. This shows your level of maturity, don't worry your future wife might be proud daddy's girl, perfect match grin

4 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:16am On Sep 20, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Lol, proud mummy boy. This shows your level of maturity, don't worry your future wife might be proud daddy's girl, perfect match grin
And do I appear like one that cares about a young lady being Daddy's girl or not? In fact, if she is a daddy's girl sef will even be better and a welcome development.

15 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by GRACEGLORY: 9:29am On Sep 20, 2018
uvemi:
https://uvemi..com/

The question of who should be a woman’s number one priority, husband or children, has become somewhat of a "chicken or the egg" argument in parenting circles. Women seem to be split on the question; however it would seem that more women believe that children should come before their spouse.
Many women adamantly assert that their children are and should be their first priority. The argument goes something like this, “my children are my flesh and blood and they need their mother, my husband is more than capable of fending for himself.” Some will go so far as to say “husbands will come and go, but your children will be your children forever". Perhaps there is some truth to that, particularly in some countries where divorce has become so prevalent, but it certainly is not the ideal.
Certainly there is no doubt that children, at least up until a certain age, require more in the way of time, attention, and care, than a husband. And no one is suggesting that children be deprived or neglected. Children require not only material necessities from their parents but also a great deal of attention, love, and discipline.

Remember that a woman marries her husband and takes vows with him. Ideally a marriage is supposed to last a lifetime. Your children will be with you for perhaps 25 years before beginning a life of their own. Long after the children are gone, you and your husband will be together.
A big part of being a parent is modeling good behavior. Children learn most of what they know by watching mom and dad. Parents who model a loving, respectful, mutually supportive relationship are giving their children a huge gift and an incredible head start as they move forward towards adulthood. Another job of being a parent is to raise happy successful future adults. So whatever parents can do to keep their relationship strong and in tact is good for the child. If a mother were to consistently put her children before her husband there is a chance that the husband/wife relationship would suffer.

So what is the answer?
The answer, from the view of psychologists, is that when a man and woman marry they take a vow to one another and nothing should supersede the husband/wife relationship. When and if children come along then the parents are to love and nurture them but never put them above their spouse. The greatest gifts that a parent can give their children are parents who love, respect, and support one another. This is a gift that children will take with them forever.
So, a woman’s first priority should be her husband and together (husband and wife) the parent's priority is their children.

Source:
https://uvemi..com/2018/09/who-comes-first-husband-or-child.html

Like I've always advised, I will again here:
The Word of GOD gives answers to all issues of concern.

Matthew 19:5
'Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'?

Your husband, or wife is more important than your children, parents, siblings, and relatives. The word says to hold unto your partner, not unto kids or others.
Your holding unto your partner brings peace to others within and without the circumference of the family.

4 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by Mizwisdom(f): 1:14pm On Sep 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
And do I appear like one that cares about a young lady being Daddy's girl or not? In fact, if she is a daddy's girl sef will even be better and a welcome development.

Good. When she places her dad above you, it will make you feel even better

1 Like

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:17pm On Sep 20, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Good. When she places her dad above you, it will make you feel even better
It is a welcome development!

14 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by bukatyne(f): 9:12pm On Sep 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

You have such strange view of MIL/ DIL relationships.

Ideally, if a MIL had a loving relationship with her husband, she would understand and encourage that her DIL comes first in her son's life because she enjoyed same.

She would be too busy with her husband / minding her businesses/church/ mosque/affilations and groups to be a pain in her DIL's neck.

Rather than men plan how they would ensure their wives take back seat in their own homes, let them imply their fathers to treat their mothers right.

6 Likes

Re: Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:35pm On Sep 20, 2018
[s]
bukatyne:

You have such strange view of MIL/ DIL relationships.

Ideally, if a MIL had a loving relationship with her husband, she would understand and encourage that her DIL comes first in her son's life because she enjoyed same.

She would be too busy with her husband / minding her businesses/church/ mosque/affilations and groups to be a pain in her DIL's neck.

Rather than men plan how they would ensure their wives take back seat in their own homes, let them imply their fathers to treat their mothers right.
[/s]

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Near Death Experience / Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? / How Do I Convince My Family To Allow Me Marry An Osu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.