Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,886 members, 7,814,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Why Are Bodies Specifically Buried Six Feet Deep? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Bodies Specifically Buried Six Feet Deep? (606 Views)

Why Dead Bodies Are Buried Six Feet Under The Ground / See Why It Is Six Feet For Depth Of A Grave / Princess Inikpi Buried Alive, Sacrificed For Survival Of The Igala Nation. Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Bodies Specifically Buried Six Feet Deep? by Vill(f): 3:29pm On Sep 18, 2018
I went to one burial in my village in Enugu State in Eastern part of Nigeria during the weekend. There is one thing I noticed which is "Burying a dead person inside coffin "6ft" down. After they've might finished burying the coffin, I rushed immediately and asked an elderly person there present and he said that:
A body left on the surface uncovered can decompose very quickly( less than a week), but not as fast as it can if immersed in water. It's dependent on oxygen and water content levels.

Buried, it will take considerably longer. Depth of burial has a direct correlation on decomposition time. The deeper the longer, in general, it takes.

What's the importance of that? Time is only relevant to those still alive. People who loved the deceased person/pet like to remember them as they were when alive. So the tendency is to want to keep their loved ones bodies as ‘lifelike’ as possible, for as long as possible.

As to why six feet? It's simply extremely difficult to make a hole that is deeper than that without special equipment.

;DI went to one burial in my village in Enugu State in Eastern part of Nigeria during the weekend. There is one thing I noticed which is "Burying a dead person inside coffin "6ft" down. After they've might finished burying the coffin, I rushed immediately and asked an elderly person there present and he said that:
A body left on the surface uncovered can decompose very quickly( less than a week), but not as fast as it can if immersed in water. It's dependent on oxygen and water content level's.

Buried, it will take considerably longer. Depth of burial has a direct correlation on decomposition time. The deeper the longer, in general, it take's.

What's the importance of that? Time is only relevant to those still alive. People who loved the deceased person/pet like to remember them as they were when alive. So the tendency is to want to keep their loved ones bodies as ‘lifelike’ as possible, for as long as possible.

As to why six feet? It's simply extremely difficult to make a hole that is deeper than that without special equipment.

(1) (Reply)

Hausa Speakers , Pls Come ? / White Americans Seeking African Roots In Nigeria / How The Ara People Of Ekiti Commited Mass Suicide To Avoid Enslavement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.