Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,960 members, 7,814,248 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF (13245 Views)

COVID-19 Bites Harder As More Nigerians Die / Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 / UNICEF- South West Has Second Highest Number Of Stunted Children In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by ikorodureporta: 8:00pm On Sep 18, 2018
The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) says more Nigerians have access to mobile phones than those with access to toilets.

Zaid Jurji, chief of Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), UNICEF, said this on Monday, while speaking at a workshop on European Union Niger Delta water project, in Rivers state.

He said while 140 million Nigerians have mobile phones, only 97million have access to improved sanitation.

Nigeria’s health sector has suffered serious neglect over the years, with grossly inadequate funding from government.

In the 2018 budget, N352 billion was allocated to the sector out of the budget of N9.1 trillion.

The resultant effect of this neglect has been various health challenges as well as poor sanitation, with children mostly affected.

Jurji also said only 37 percent of health facilities in the country have at least one usable toilets available to patients while just 39 percent of Nigerians use an improved toilet that is not shared by more than one household.

According to him, “without toilets, people are forced to defecate in the open leading to exposure to disease such as diarrhoea, cholera and typhoid.

“One hundred and twenty-two Nigerians, including 87,000 children under the age of five, die each year from diarrhoea, with the country losing N455 billion annually due to poor sanitation.”

TheCable had reported how Abuja, the nation’s capital is suffering from poor sanitation and open defecation.

As of 2016, 28.7 percent of the Nigerian population still practise open defecation.

At the global stage, 2.4 billion persons around the world still don’t have access to a functioning toilet, with 1.1 billion of that number defecating in the open.

Source: https://www.thecable.ng/unicef-nigerians-access-phones-toilets

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by meolaniyi(m): 8:28pm On Sep 18, 2018
The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) says more Nigerians have access to mobile phones than those with access to toilets.

Zaid Jurji, chief of Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), UNICEF, said this on Monday, while speaking at a workshop on European Union Niger Delta water project, in Rivers state.

He said while 140 million Nigerians have mobile phones, only 97million have access to improved sanitation.

Nigeria’s health sector has suffered serious neglect over the years, with grossly inadequate funding from government.

In the 2018 budget, N352 billion was allocated to the sector out of the budget of N9.1 trillion.

The resultant effect of this neglect has been various health challenges as well as poor sanitation, with children mostly affected.

Jurji also said only 37 percent of health facilities in the country have at least one usable toilets available to patients while just 39 percent of Nigerians use an improved toilet that is not shared by more than one household.

According to him, “without toilets, people are forced to defecate in the open leading to exposure to disease such as diarrhoea, cholera and typhoid.

“One hundred and twenty-two Nigerians, including 87,000 children under the age of five, die each year from diarrhoea, with the country losing N455 billion annually due to poor sanitation.”

TheCable had reported how Abuja, the nation’s capital is suffering from poor sanitation and open defecation.

As of 2016, 28.7 percent of the Nigerian population still practise open defecation.

At the global stage, 2.4 billion persons around the world still don’t have access to a functioning toilet, with 1.1 billion of that number defecating in the open.

https://www.thecable.ng/unicef-nigerians-access-phones-toilets

Shithole +lifeless = zombies

12 Likes

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by enny09: 8:33pm On Sep 18, 2018
This report is 100% correct

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by vanbonattel: 8:34pm On Sep 18, 2018
Stop insulting Ibadam ppl

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by DonCorleons: 8:43pm On Sep 18, 2018
Lol esp d wild waste

11 Likes

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by DonCorleons: 8:45pm On Sep 18, 2018
vanbonattel:
Stop insulting Ibadam ppl

45 Likes

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Nogodye(m): 9:10pm On Sep 18, 2018
It true, you see 15yrs old boys with expensive phone forming internet gangstar and keyboard warrior without having toilet in their domain.

5 Likes

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Sharpshooota: 9:22pm On Sep 18, 2018
Zoo Animals on parade
That's why they chant sai barber cheesy

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by gaby(m): 9:29pm On Sep 18, 2018
Haven't you heard about the shitt hole gist UN?

Everywhere is a shitt-hole, who toilet help.

Enjoy my siggy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 18, 2018
This one na true we already know that
person no go see food but ee go buy data to Browse
you buy 1k to 1.5k data you browse the internet You subscribed for one month, you watch movie not movies the data finished within 2 weeks you subscribe again
Naija I hail oh
Naija networks I hail too
we are great people with many disabilities

3 Likes

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by budaatum: 9:56pm On Sep 18, 2018
Sharpshooota:
Zoo Animals on parade
That's why they chant sai barber cheesy
So, its Bubu who no gree you get toilet for your house? He come there remove am ko? Ijiot!

2 Likes

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Sharpshooota: 10:06pm On Sep 18, 2018
budaatum:

So, its Bubu who no gree you get toilet for your house? He come there remove am ko? Ijiot!

They are here to defend the king of the zoo cheesy

Allah Akbar my Muslim friend cheesy

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by budaatum: 10:11pm On Sep 18, 2018
Sharpshooota:

They are here to defend the king of the zoo cheesy

Allah Akbar my Muslim friend cheesy
So, only your Muslim friends support Bubu?
You need to get out more!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Sharpshooota: 10:15pm On Sep 18, 2018
budaatum:

So, only your Muslim friends support Bubu?
You need to get out more!

Bubu is in the business of sending herdsmen and pythons on defenseless Christians... Let's no talk about the Shiites too...

No right thinking Christain will associate with a chronic terrorist... I think you need the getting out more

3 Likes

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by budaatum: 10:50pm On Sep 18, 2018
Sharpshooota:

Bubu is in the business of sending herdsmen and pythons on defenseless Christians... Let's no talk about the Shiites too...

No right thinking Christain will associate with a chronic terrorist... I think you need the getting out more
There's "right thinking Christians"? If there are any, they'd have been calling the previous President and the one before him terrorist too. Or weren't "herdsmen and pythons" terrorising people then?

If you got out more, you'd know more Muslims are being killed in the predominantly Muslim North than Christians. But that wouldn't fit the narrative explaining why you don't have a toilet in your house I guess.

The only terrorism Bubu is doing is the depriving you of a free lunch.

6 Likes

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Nobody: 10:57pm On Sep 18, 2018
There is no need for toilet, the country is already a shithole

7 Likes

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by 9jayes: 11:00pm On Sep 18, 2018
They have access to phone but they don't make use of that phone in a profitable way.

In other news,
Instead of sitting at home on October 1'st why not use the opportunity to earn a free certificate from Google on digital skills. For details see my signature.
Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by anyimontana(m): 11:01pm On Sep 18, 2018
Lol..

Ikorodureporta,I wish I can give out toilets,I have 6 I'm not using at the moment

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Sisijetue(f): 11:02pm On Sep 18, 2018
This one weak me
Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Optmus(m): 11:02pm On Sep 18, 2018
Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by budaatum: 11:02pm On Sep 18, 2018
Thebabenextdoor:
There is no need for toilet, the country is already a shithole
That's somewhat true, but Nigerians should be minded that no foreigners came to poo on us. Na we shit for body de hold nose. The poo you smell is ours.
Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by oshe11: 11:02pm On Sep 18, 2018
This one WEAK ME

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by tatibillion: 11:03pm On Sep 18, 2018
Phone is the fvcking shitt
Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 18, 2018
Anything that brings food to table is more important.

Besides, we get toilets but that shiiit sometimes no dey gree make person reach toiletcheesy

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Pabloosas(m): 11:04pm On Sep 18, 2018
grin
Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by jumpandpas(m): 11:04pm On Sep 18, 2018
I have nothing to say.
Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Sleekfingers: 11:06pm On Sep 18, 2018
Of course, they are right. In Lagos if you go to Lagos badagry express , people go just open yansh dey shit anyhow.
Other areas are ijora, makoko, badi, ajegunle, ikorodu,alagbado, bariga, iyana oworo, ajah, obalende, Lagos island, orile

3 Likes

Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Nobody: 11:14pm On Sep 18, 2018
Slum Hole.
Re: More Nigerians Have Access To Phones Than Toilets - UNICEF by Sleekfingers: 11:15pm On Sep 18, 2018
obviouscrab2109:

Even ikeja Along sef

Yeah, you are right..that place na something else

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

African Iba Herbal Mixture / NAFDAC Intercepts And Seizes 4*40ft & 1*20ft Containers Of Fake Drugs At Apapa / Three Suspected Cases Of COVID-19 In Delta Test Negative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.