Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,026 members, 7,859,696 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 05:07 PM

I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed (941 Views)

Firstbank Introduces Contactless Naira Mastercard / Firstbank Reacts To Rumours That Its Elephant May Swallow Customers Money / A Nairalander Explains Phonenumber Update Using ATMs For All Firstbank Customers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 18, 2018
someone called a friend of mine yesterday. he told him (my friend) that he is a staff with Firstbank headquarters in Lagos. he then told him some detail informations about his account which were very true. this made my friend to agree that it's a Firstbank staff. he informed him as well that the date of birth in the bvn is not the same with the date of birth used in opening the account (this was perfectly true because my friend knew the problem in his account). he then told my friend that they (Firstbank) are about to resolve the issue for him so he should call out the numbers on the ATM card to him which my friend ignorantly did... my friend called out this number together with the expiry date and the other three numbers on the ATM. I know it was out of trust already established by the true informations given by the guy who claimed he is a staff. after a while, my friend got a debit alert from first bank, all the money in my friends account was wiped off.
right now we are ready and about to visit the court to sue Firstbank because we feel a Firstbank staff must have been involved in the fraud, if not, how did he get the detailed information he gave my friend?
please I need your views on this especially on the step we are about to take.
thanks so much.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by vivypretty(f): 8:44pm On Sep 18, 2018
some questions for your friend.
Did he record the phone conversation?
Has he visited the bank to resolve the issue he had with the bank(the different date of birth problem?

Banks at some point usually send a message saying they will not call you to request for your card number and/or ATM pin.hope such message has never been sent to him because banks keep records.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by Derende(m): 8:46pm On Sep 18, 2018
That is just mercy after death, except you have more money to lost in employing the services of a lawyer that nothing positive will come out from such case. The bank has already indemnify themselves already against such loss due to the negligence of your friend by releasing his personal card details to an anonymous person claiming to be a staff of first bank. Normally there might be a case of staff involvement in the issue, but that does not make first bank as an entity liable. The only thing the bank can do for you at this point is to investigate the issue.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 18, 2018
How sad, don't start a battle you can't win. Most banks would specifically tell you not to reveal your ATM pin/numbers, Security or any sensitive information via phone call.

Your friend can still try his luck in court, if he get the recording of the call.

Nigeria of nowadays, if person greet you for road. Please watch carefully!

Lastly, this kain sensitive information won't get out except dere is an inside man, or hackers have got hold of first bank customer data.

First bank customers please be careful..

Lalasticlala help first bank customers.
Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 18, 2018
wowww great questions.
my friend did not record the call because he never suspected any thing. we are visiting the court tomorrow to get a court order to mtn so that they release a record of that call to us.
Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by author1(m): 8:52pm On Sep 18, 2018
i hope u win the case! but if i were u i wud rather use ma money to buy guguru and epa than use it to sue a whole organisation to court! i pity u o.
Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by rottennaija(m): 8:56pm On Sep 18, 2018
You will need a lot and lots of money, because those people can keep you in court till you get poor.

Besides your friend has no case. All banking organizations have been repeatedly warning their customers never to reveal their atm number or pin to anyone, that they will never ask for it.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by yeddy99: 8:56pm On Sep 18, 2018
Derende:
That is just mercy after death, except you have more money to lost in employing the services of a lawyer that nothing positive will come out from such case. The bank has already indemnify themselves already against such loss due to the negligence of your friend by releasing his personal card details to an anonymous person claiming to be a staff of first bank. Normally there might be a case of staff involvement in the issue, but that does not make first bank as an entity liable. The only thing the bank can do for you at this point is to investigate the issue.
Very valid point.do not waste your time and Money suing the bank.an insider could have access to your bank details but not to your card details.you compromised the details yourself.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 18, 2018
Tell your friend not to bother. The bank is not liable, they have been singing it that people should not disclose their personal info for any reason. But even your friend, is he an illiterate? No bank will ask for your ATM card details online or even call you about incomplete personal details.
Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by Praktikals(m): 9:47pm On Sep 18, 2018
No case. Your friend na mugu

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by starchris(m): 10:19pm On Sep 18, 2018
Don't bother sueing them because u will waste your money and your time common sense will let u know that no back will call on phone and asked for your card detail. Instead of sueing them report this case to the bank and and then they would tell you how the person cornered your friends money, if the person used the money to make purchases or transferred the money to his account then d person can be caught. But if the money was diverted to a Chinese or Japanese acc then no hope.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by raphemmanuel(m): 11:53pm On Sep 18, 2018
@Op I will never discourage u from suing the bank but first check the debit alert message to see where the money was diverted to, whether it was used for purchasing anything online or transferred to personal account.
If it was transfered into personal account, meet the bank the should help u trace the account and with the help of BVN the person will be tracked
Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by Mathias2015(m): 2:43am On Sep 19, 2018
How much is the money in question
Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by 0079jaBond(m): 3:11am On Sep 19, 2018
Bro, your friend fell for it cheaply. Banks do make frequent warnings about unsolicited calls and messages. How could First Bank ask for his complete card details over the phone instead of doing it within the banking hall which is preferable, if that was ever necessary even?

Mehn, just try to console your friend. They got his emotions and he fell big time! But if you have the money and time, I can only wish you the best of luck on your court case journey.
Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by Sapeleboy911(m): 12:40pm On Sep 19, 2018
Very sorry for your friends predicament, but your chances of winning that case in court is next to zero.Banks always warn customers never to reveal their ATM cards pins or codes. No matter the circumstances they( banks) will never ask for such details.
Charging the bank to court will only worsen everything. All you need to do is co-operate with the bank to help them with their investigation.
Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 19, 2018
the money was diverted to an account. UBA in particular, we were able to trace the account name of the guy and we are now working on getting a court order to the bank. we are sure of getting the money back now.
what's very annoying now is an individual's account details which should e secret leaked to fraudsters. definitely the bank is involved in this.
banks shoukd not be trusted again in Nigeria.
Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by raphemmanuel(m): 9:20pm On Sep 20, 2018
kam13:
the money was diverted to an account. UBA in particular, we were able to trace the account name of the guy and we are now working on getting a court order to the bank. we are sure of getting the money back now.
what's very annoying now is an individual's account details which should e secret leaked to fraudsters. definitely the bank is involved in this.
banks shoukd not be trusted again in Nigeria.
since the money was transferred to another bank account, I assure u that u must get those fraudsters.
Ensure the owner of the account is tracked down and arrested, then he will mention others involved together with the person that leaked ur friends account details
Re: I Want To Sue Firstbank Nig. To Court. Please Your Advice Is Needed by naijjaman(m): 9:44pm On Sep 20, 2018
kam13:
someone called a friend of mine yesterday. he told him (my friend) that he is a staff with Firstbank headquarters in Lagos. he then told him some detail informations about his account which were very true. this made my friend to agree that it's a Firstbank staff. he informed him as well that the date of birth in the bvn is not the same with the date of birth used in opening the account (this was perfectly true because my friend knew the problem in his account). he then told my friend that they (Firstbank) are about to resolve the issue for him so he should call out the numbers on the ATM card to him which my friend ignorantly did... my friend called out this number together with the expiry date and the other three numbers on the ATM. I know it was out of trust already established by the true informations given by the guy who claimed he is a staff. after a while, my friend got a debit alert from first bank, all the money in my friends account was wiped off.
right now we are ready and about to visit the court to sue Firstbank because we feel a Firstbank staff must have been involved in the fraud, if not, how did he get the detailed information he gave my friend?
please I need your views on this especially on the step we are about to take.
thanks so much.
shocked
You and your friend are ignorant of applicable laws. Your friend could have asked for the name of the First Bank official and his badge # but he didn't. He could have thanked the caller politely, end the conversation and then quickly contact First Bank, but he didn't. You are wasting your time and resources by suing First Bank my friend. Apart from giving fellow Nairalanders the opportunity to learn from his experience, the next best thing you can do is to go to the nearest police station and file a complaint. Sorry o

(1) (Reply)

Apply Tony Elumelu Foundation $5000 grant(Winning Strategy) / Coronavirus Makes Richest Man In The World, Jeff Bezos $24 Billion Richer / How To Double Your Earnings On Opera News Hub And Make Money Writing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.